Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC - Curraheen Sports Development

Options
  • 06-01-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the position is with this development. The land in question was purchased back in January 2012 but I haven't heard a thing since. Anyone have any plans or potential renders for this development ?

UCC_Farm1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

That's a substantial piece of land. It'll be interesting to see what they have planned for it.

Here's me thinking the universities are broke.

Obviously not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

In July UCC were looking for contractors to oversee the project and said they were hoping to appoint them in November.
    Assuming that has been approved I guess we will see a planning application sometime this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Excellent news.

I think the overall plan is to do an enormous development on the current site of the Farm and have this replace the farm ?

A running blog has it that the Farm and associated lands owned by UCC will be developed into a Science Centre of Excellence. That is some size of a development.

UCC_Farm1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Excellent news.

I think the overall plan is to do an enormous development on the current site of the Farm and have this replace the farm ?

A running blog has it that the Farm and associated lands owned by UCC will be developed into a Science Centre of Excellence. That is some size of a development.

Yea, that will be big. The County Council are planning a new road from the Greyhound track across country to Inchigaggin on the Model Farm Road. It will have a road link into the back of the CIT and all around it will be the science and technology park.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Yea, that will be big. The County Council are planning a new road from the Greyhound track across country to Inchigaggin on the Model Farm Road. It will have a road link into the back of the CIT and all around it will be the science and technology park.

You read my mind. Just posted this in the roads forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056802085

• Advertisement

I see elsewhere on this forum that a new road will be built from the roundabout on the Ballincollig link road to somewhere in the new Science Park Development behind CIT A needed piece of infrastructure I think.

Another interesting thing I've seen is Munster Agricultural Society's plans for their Curaheen site. Anyone know anything about this ?. Is this going ahead.

MASTERPLAN-Show-Grounds-NEW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I see elsewhere on this forum that a new road will be built from the roundabout on the Ballincollig link road to somewhere in the new Science Park Development behind CIT A needed piece of infrastructure I think.

Another interesting thing I've seen is Munster Agricultural Society's plans for their Curaheen site. Anyone know anything about this ?. Is this going ahead.

MASTERPLAN-Show-Grounds-NEW.png
    It's a bad sign when they can't even get the road name correct.

In the Echo this evening that the Science Park Development has got the go ahead and will be starting soon. This must mean the closing of The Farm too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

So, this looks like it will be full steam ahead after many false starts. Very interesting that a new hospital is being mooted, will certainly take the strain from CUH on the Western side of the city.
    A NEW acute hospital has been earmarked for Curraheen in planning documents formulated by Cork County Council.

The hospital could form part of the long-awaited Cork Science and Innovation Park, according to Cork County Council divisional manager Declan Daly.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-cork-hospital-planned-curraheen/2575964/
    PLANNING permission has been granted to demolish the former Cork City soccer grounds at Curraheen to build a multi-million euro five-storey office building.

Cork County Council confirmed that permission has been granted for the project, which will form part of the Cork Science and Innovation Park.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/office-scheme-former-cork-city-soccer-ground/2575956/

I do think a transport corridor from Ballincollig to CIT should be the back bone of this development, perhaps a BRT route with the opportunity to convert that to Light Rail in the future as part of a Ballincollig-CIT-UCC-Docklands-Mahon Point mass transit route.

Hopefully they'll extend the Ballincollig link road as part of this scheme all the way to CIT. BET would also be excellent give how much space they have to play with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement