Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old ESB Building on the Quays

• 06-01-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Any truth that this has been bought by the Kilkenny Shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Hadn't heard that. Would be a very unusual location for them if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I thought that Gaelscoil Sáirseáil were to move from Bridge Street to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    I thought that Gaelscoil Sáirseáil were to move from Bridge Street to there.
    I just heard someone mention it-was looking to see if anyone had heard the same.Not sure if the plan is to do it up or rebuild.Something needs to be done down there.Heard the Gaelscoil rumour too but nothing more has become of it.There seems to be plenty of space down that way for building some quality office accommodation with some retail on the ground floor.I hope that the Council can get the hanging gardens of Nama & finish it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

From their website.
    The latest update on the school accommodation is as follows. The former ESB building has now been placed on the market for in excess of €700,000. The Board of Management were not informed by the agent that this was taking place. This means that the plan to lease the building is now off the table. The BOM has been in contact with the auctioneer to inform him of the situation. They have also been in contact with the Department of Education and Skills who are considering the option to purchase the building. We are awaiting instruction from the Department as to how they wish us to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I'm not sure the Department of Education would shell out €700,000 of scarce funds to buy a decrepit old warehouse. Several million Euro would also then be required to construct a new school building.

There is bound to be some interest from private developers in acquiring this site now that we're beginning to see tentative signs of recovery in the property market.

The city would really benefit from the development of an appropriately scaled commercial complex here. Office accommodation would probably be the predominant use but an element of residential and retail space could also be chucked in to the mix.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see a high capacity office building worthy of attracting a major company to town with perhaps a restaurant/cafe on the ground floor.

I'm not sure if retail would work this far down and to be honest, I'd hate to see a school completely choking the place every morning and evening.

No it just isn't a suitable location for a school. Constructing a new single or two storey building down there really would be a wasted opportunity on such a prime site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What about a university faculty?

It looks like there's going to be one in the city centre anyway, so this site is as good as any - good parking nearby, good access to Condell Road, Dock Road, M7 motorway. Aside from that, it would encourage city centre living by students and staff and that would have a very positive knock-on effect on the city.

zulutango wrote: »
    What about a university faculty?

It looks like there's going to be one in the city centre anyway, so this site is as good as any - good parking nearby, good access to Condell Road, Dock Road, M7 motorway. Aside from that, it would encourage city centre living by students and staff and that would have a very positive knock-on effect on the city.

The site of the failed opera centre project has already been earmarked as the preferred location for third level city centre accommodation.

We still await concrete plans for the redevelopment of that area though. Hopefully they'll be presented relatively soon.

Vanquished wrote: »
    The site of the failed opera centre project has already been earmarked as the preferred location for third level city centre accommodation.

We still await concrete plans for the redevelopment of that area though. Hopefully they'll be presented relatively soon.

It's been suggested, but they are looking at other areas of the city centre too.

Plans are due soon, I believe.

• Advertisement

A bit off topic, but has anyone ever noticed the retail unit over head Milano but below the apartments? Is it big?

I'd love to get a look in there sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Apparently Gaeilscoil Sairséil is to move to Fernbank from September 2015 when Salesians and Nessans merge in Moylish.

The ESB site would be a well placed tourist attraction of sorts, perhaps the City Museum could move there. I know it's yet another move, but a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

ninty9er wrote: »
    Apparently Gaeilscoil Sairséil is to move to Fernbank from September 2015 when Salesians and Nessans merge in Moylish.

The ESB site would be a well placed tourist attraction of sorts, perhaps the City Museum could move there. I know it's yet another move, but a great location.
    Good call.It's lacking a bit of life at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ninty9er wrote: »

Museum is being relocated to the old Franciscan Church according to today's Limerick Post.

I heard that too. Hopefully an agreement can be reached to get this over the line.

It's a perfect, central location in a very prominent building. The elaborate interior would also provide an impressive setting for showcasing the museums collection.

You'd have to think this far more accessible location could only boost visitor numbers too.

I heard that too. Hopefully an agreement can be reached to get this over the line.

It's a perfect, central location in a very prominent building. The elaborate interior would also provide an impressive setting for showcasing the museums collection.

You'd have to think this far more accessible location could only boost visitor numbers too.

It's for 5 years only, until they come up with a more suitable venue.

That article quotes a City Council official who states that the lease could be extended if the arrangement proves a success.

True, but they are on the lookout for a permanent home. There'll be a lot of changes over the next few years as Limerick 2030 and other initiatives come on stream.

Yeah that's been put out there a lot over the last decade at this stage. Along with the long promised new city library. I'll believe it when I'm walking through the door!

In the meantime they could do a lot worse than the excellent location that's currently on the table.

Yeah that's been put out there a lot over the last decade at this stage. Along with the long promised new city library. I'll believe it when I'm walking through the door!

In the meantime they could do a lot worse than the excellent location that's currently on the table.

Agree that the location is very good. The talk of the last decade regarding new premises for city library and museum was rooted in aspiration. But things have changed in the last year. The most significant is that the poorest local authority has just amalgamated with the wealthiest (outside Dublin). That'll have a huge effect on public spending in the city centre, and I think we'll see some big projects getting the go ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement