Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon's Den

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I will wager he came close to the bottom of his class in spelling and grammar , if the link is representative !!

Not big on attention to detail. His dad will be disappointed.

I thought it was written about him by someone else. I just copped the " my father"bit now. Still, not fair to judge him on this so I'll wait to see the colour of his money on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I know of one guy who got investment & ended up going bang about a year after. Was very cocky for that year though. Spent a lot of the investment on items not really necessary for the business.

If you guys like DD, check out Shark Tank (American version). Much more enjoyable. I watch the Irish one out of interest, and the American one because it's a better program, the uk one doesn't interest me at all anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lucky john wrote: »
    Sean o sullivan has been replaced by a new mystery Dragon. Anyone any idea who?

Sean was one of the best ones :mad:

One thing that interested me on the den last night was the dragon's eagerness to invest in the Green smoothy guy. Quinn, who surely knows this sector, gave his reasons and was out straight away. Yet all the other dragon's went for it. Should they not have thougt twice when Quinn jumped out so fast?

I often see it on the UK den. If a particular dragon has an interest in the area of the pitch the other dragon's take their lead from them.

Quinn was the ideal partner for that guy. If he didn't see it, then the others were acting on ego.

For me, the real one with potential was the "improper butter" one. gtwo girls with business heads doing something innovative that they love. Decent branding, innovative(isn) product, enthusiastic, Probably sell it to Kerry Foods in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the show last night ? There were no real displays of the Entrepreneurial spirit that everyone talks about.

The Juice and Butter ideas were ok but not really ground breaking and will probably continue to be nice little earners.

Was anyone else expecting some good Tech or Product based pitches instead of fake tan, bull sperm and kitch cocktail bars ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was surprised that the Smoothie and Juice guy got so much interest too.

I did think though for pure entrepreneurial spirit though the Bull Sperm guy had it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I was surprised that the Smoothie and Juice guy got so much interest too.

I did think though for pure entrepreneurial spirit though the Bull Sperm guy had it.

Great guy but what he is trying to do is nothing new. There's a few companies already operating in this area and I would be surprised if there's much of a market left. Maybe at the very niche end of breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

OU812 wrote: »
    I know of one guy who got investment & ended up going bang about a year after.
    Tech or non-tech? Might be interesting to see how some of the website type businesses from the last few series fared.

Regards...jmcc

Great guy but what he is trying to do is nothing new. There's a few companies already operating in this area and I would be surprised if there's much of a market left. Maybe at the very niche end of breeding.

Ah right, as a city slicker I didn't know that.

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    Tech or non-tech? Might be interesting to see how some of the website type businesses from the last few series fared.

Regards...jmcc

Food

Food
    Probably the only one that's higher risk than a tech/web venture.

Regards...jmcc

Probably the only one that's higher risk than a tech/web venture.

Regards...jmcc

The product was a bit of a fad anyway. Personally I thought it was vastly over valued in terms of how much he received & how much he had in sales. I think more than any of the shark tank/dragons den shows, the Irish one suffers most from ego. It's almost like they're investing to stop one of the others getting it.

This guy was very flash, bought a sports car etc to "promote" the product, it just didn't work out well.

The product was a bit of a fad anyway. Personally I thought it was vastly over valued in terms of how much he received & how much he had in sales. I think more than any of the shark tank/dragons den shows, the Irish one suffers most from ego. It's almost like they're investing to stop one of the others getting it.
    The Irish one seems to be like a cattle mart. Apart from Sean O'Sullivan, the other dragons didn't really seem like serious players in that some of the businesses they were being asked to invest in were almost at the end of their options for funding (or may have never tried to raise funding) or were hobbies being pitched as investment opportunities. However there were some diamonds in the rough there.
    This guy was very flash, bought a sports car etc to "promote" the product, it just didn't work out well.
    That's a dead giveaway and any investor should have been out the door immediately.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Irish one seems to be like a cattle mart. Apart from Sean O'Sullivan, the other dragons didn't really seem like serious players in that some of the businesses they were being asked to invest in were almost at the end of their options for funding (or may have never tried to raise funding) or were hobbies being pitched as investment opportunities. However there were some diamonds in the rough there.

That reminds me when Cherry Blossom Bakery were on Dragon's Den. They asked for 200,000 and all the dragons bar Peter Casey and Sean O Sullivan were out. Peter Casey says 'It's a pity you didn't come in asking for 100,000, I would have given it to you straight away but 200,000, that's real money', then Sean laughs and says 'Some of us have real money'. Sean ended up investing after Peter said he was out.

It was funny but it really did highlight how Sean was the only one with pretty deep pockets and the only real dragon so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

Does anyone know who supplies The Smart Bunker (which was shown on tonights show) in Ireland? I've checked their website & it looks like you can only order it online. I'd prefer to have a look at it first. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Just watched Sunday night episode last night. Was impressed with the innovative idea of the Aurora Hair Band, I was surprised that Ramona didn't invest, would seem to me like a no brainer with her Cara Pharmacy chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Disappointed Sixth Dragon isn't making a return.

Was coming first last year and then my internet connection went (typical!) on the finale!
    Dropped to second place but I still won the weekly prize 2 weeks in a row so it wasn't all bad. Saying that, the top prize was worth €5,000!

Can't say it was all luck though. I put a lot of work into it, I used to analyse the teaser for next weeks episode and try to figure out the businesses that would be appearing. Then I'd research them online to see if I could tell whether or not they got investment. Also noticed a pattern developing, for example they'd never finish on someone who didn't get investment.

Was really looking forward to it this year again, ah well :(

Just watched the show there and thought there was a good couple of products or potential in the products.

The Smart Bunker, FIXIY, and The Aurora Band all looked good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Watched Dragons Den from last night.. The apparel printing business got a decent investment and the womens pants

Those 2 lads from Derry with their Whey and protein drinks.. how did they even get an interview to come on the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Buttercake wrote: »
    Watched Dragons Den from last night.. The apparel printing business got a decent investment and the womens pants

Those 2 lads from Derry with their Whey and protein drinks.. how did they even get an interview to come on the show?

Yeh the two guys were ridiculous. Even if you've never seen the show before how do you go on not knowing those numbers! I was surprised by the apparel business but I guess at that equity it was a good offer for someone to come in. That razor sharpening tool. I'm not a frequent shaver but would people really bother using that over buying a new razor for a couple of euro?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh the two guys were ridiculous. Even if you've never seen the show before how do you go on not knowing those numbers! I was surprised by the apparel business but I guess at that equity it was a good offer for someone to come in. That razor sharpening tool. I'm not a frequent shaver but would people really bother using that over buying a new razor for a couple of euro?

It can be a significant saving but it's nothing new, there are others out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I wonder if some are included purely for 'entertainment value'.

jimmii wrote: »

Dunno about that razor sharpener thing, seems like a brain fart instead of a brain wave..

Dunno about that razor sharpener thing, seems like a brain fart instead of a brain wave..

Absolutely a solution for something that really doesn't need a solution!

By far the best investment with potential on the show this year so far was the ladies pants. If they do what she said and a patent is granted on them it has a world wide market. I can't believe she gave away 40% to the dragon's. Enterprise ireland would surely be the place to go with that product.

By far the best investment with potential on the show this year so far was the ladies pants. If they do what she said and a patent is granted on them it has a world wide market. I can't believe she gave away 40% to the dragon's. Enterprise ireland would surely be the place to go with that product.

Yeh if it does work then it could be huge. Be an interesting one to follow up on it seemed as if she was desperate to get someone on board and I guess they picked up on that to be able to get such a big stake.

She did sound desperate during her pitch which is a shame as she had all the hard work done and the product manufactured.

would she had said yes to them if they wanted 50%?, probably

She did sound desperate during her pitch which is a shame as she had all the hard work done and the product manufactured.

would she had said yes to them if they wanted 50%?, probably

Wouldn't surprise me if she did! I thought her initial valuation was pretty excessive as it still seemed pretty early days with the company. Good she got the investment though much better to have 60% of a company that is really going somewhere than 100% of a company you really don't know where to take!

• Advertisement

I don't think the shorts are going to be that big, unless I'm missing something (I did actually miss a bit of her pitch so it's possible). Compression shorts are nothing new and I doubt there is anything patentable there. What differentiates hers from all the other compression shorts in the market?

Advertisement