Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toner Electric

Options
  • 06-01-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Im all for buying local, he has a sign in the window saying support local business.
    I went in asking about a desk, I had used mine till death, he had the same one in there marked at either 500 or 600 (too much anyways)

It retailed new at 250 everywhere else when it first came out.

The newer version which has USB input was 200 euro from Thomann, But wanting to buy local I thought he might come down in price for the older model and both of us be happy... I was met with "im not the internet, go and buy on your computer"

How does an attitude like that help your business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

to be fair, i always find him very good, knowledgable and fair when im in there. he is probably sick of people coming in checking out his stock and saying they can buy it from a bordering on slave laboured, giant warehouse, no rates to pay etc in the middle of China for less. Agreed, by sounds of it, he could have been a bit more polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

This guy is as ignorant as they come. Went in looking for a HDMI cable & he said "don't have one" without ever even looking away from the magazine he was reading. No wonder hardly anyone darkens the door of his poxy little shop.

Motivator wrote: »
    This guy is as ignorant as they come. Went in looking for a HDMI cable & he said "don't have one" without ever even looking away from the magazine he was reading. No wonder hardly anyone darkens the door of his poxy little shop.

is he the soup nazi;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Max Powers wrote: »
    to be fair, i always find him very good, knowledgable and fair when im in there. he is probably sick of people coming in checking out his stock and saying they can buy it from a bordering on slave laboured, giant warehouse, no rates to pay etc in the middle of China for less. Agreed, by sounds of it, he could have been a bit more polite.

Was Amazon not voted one of the best places in Ireland to work since it moved here?

Plot twist : Max Powers owns Toners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

pass that shop everyday, always find the look of the place a bit tacky with the crap looking ancient disco lights always on!! how on earth is the place still open??is it like the meatless butchers in town or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

0rt wrote: »
    Im all for buying local, he has a sign in the window saying support local business.
    I went in asking about a desk, I had used mine till death, he had the same one in there marked at either 500 or 600 (too much anyways)
    Well it isn't a furniture shop.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

jmcc wrote: »
    Well it isn't a furniture shop.

Regards...jmcc

congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Fux sake jus get it online and stop trying to damage local business.

dzilla wrote: »
    Fux sake jus get it online and stop trying to damage local business.

Im doing no more damage than he has himself.
    "buy local" was the whole point... not to buy it online.

Yes but you have now gone on a little crusade to damage peoples perception of the business.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Yes but you have now gone on a little crusade to damage peoples perception of the business.

Ahh ye must be related to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Have to agree here I'm afraid,
    Maybe he was having a bad day, ever have one of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Well, I buy bits and pieces from him from time to time..... One thing I can say (ref.HDMI cable) he knows what he has in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Well, I buy bits and pieces from him from time to time..... One thing I can say (ref.HDMI cable) he knows what he has in stock.

Why be so rude to a potential customer then?

Was Amazon not voted one of the best places in Ireland to work since it moved here?

Plot twist : Max Powers owns Toners

:D good one. Max Toner Powers..

no i saw a program about the amazon in Wales and it makes the places people on here complaining about look like heaven. God knows how they treat the people in countries with less basic employment rights.

Ahh ye must be related to him.

Nope not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I always found Pat Toner ok to talk to a little bit expensive and set in his ways,as in that's the price, and in this day and age that attitude won't cut it any more. He did have an ignorant Fcuk from Tramore working in there maybe you had the misfortune to meet this waste of oxygen and if you did I sympathise
    with you.
    The Sony center in the Weastgate Pk opposite Llidel on the Tramore rd will match any Thomann price (if you push them) incl p&p, plus the fact they have a repair workshop on the premises makes this a better deal. Check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I never had any bother at all with him, he even let me off with a couple of euros for a hdmi cable one time. Sound man and knows his stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I remember I asked them noobish question how to connect rustic telly to the computer. Got hundred different ways how to do it with proffesional explanation what to do and what not to do, how to locate cables to avoid any interference, how to transfer audio, etc. I was really happy to spend 12E on cable which I could get on e-bay for 2,49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Snipped...........

The Sony center in the Weastgate Pk opposite Llidel on the Tramore rd will match any Thomann price (if you push them) incl p&p, plus the fact they have a repair workshop on the premises makes this a better deal. Check them out.
    Meanwhile back from the commercial break for a shop not called "the Sony Centre" anymore, see this link https://www.facebook.com/mick.daily.33?fref=ts and scroll down to 20th and 21st December to see a shall we say, interesting debate regarding DAB in the south east............. ToT 1, the rest nil............:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've always found Pat a total gent to deal with, always very helpful and knowledgeable. Sure he may not be the cheapest, or carry everything, but that's the nature of bricks and mortar these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

I have nothing but respect for people who work in the retail sector who tell members of the public where to stick it, if i won the lotto i would open up a cake shop with some lovely looking cakes and when someone wanted to buy one i would tell them to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

gman2k wrote: »
    I've always found Pat a total gent to deal with, always very helpful and knowledgeable. Sure he may not be the cheapest, or carry everything, but that's the nature of bricks and mortar these days.

Pat is indeed a grand fella. I know him as an acquaintance through another shared hobby (boats) and he is one of the nicest guys you could meet, very welcoming and very helpfull.
    Everyone can have an off day, sometimes I think I have them every day!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fat Nav

I had the pleasure of dealing with the bold Mr Toner over many years and always found him sound to deal with.
    His advice and knowledge more than made up for the fact he cant begin to compete with the likes of amazon or big chains like sony centres or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I wish there was a Maplin in Waterford...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    I wish there was a Maplin in Waterford...
    it would prob open and close with a year

Advertisement