Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo in the brown bin?

• 06-01-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people put dog poo in the brown bin?

From http://www.brownbinrescue.ie/ :
    Remember pet waste is compostable too but only when collected in a compostable liner, and can go straight into your Brown Bin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont think dog waste is compostable in the brown bin,

Id suggest people refer to their bin service provider and see what they say, mine says no dog waste or cat litter.

I cannot see how dog waste could be considered compostable just because it was in a degradeable bag, or because someone on some private website says so, whats your interest in that site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mine also says no dog or cat poo.

You can compost dog and cat poo but you couldn't use it to grow vegetables in because of the latent risk of pathogens. You could use it for your flowers or fruit trees. To my understanding that's why you can't put it in most brown bins, because they don't know what the end use for the compost will be and I guess can't rule out it being sold on for growing veggies.

Mind you that brings up another question, has anyone ever seen compost for sale that originated out of brown bins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cerastes wrote: »

I cannot see how dog waste could be considered compostable just because it was in a degradeable bag, or because someone on some private website says so, whats your interest in that site?

If I had 'an interest' in a site I think I could come up with a better way of promoting it than starting a thread on here about poo!

My dogs are fed meat and veg, raw and cooked meat/veg is allowed in the bin ergo their poo is composed of everything that's allowed in the bin!

I've read on other sites/forums that poo bags are what 'contaminate' the bin not the actual poo so was wondering if anyone actually puts it in the brown bin (if so state your provider ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

tk123 wrote: »

My dogs are fed meat and veg, raw and cooked meat/veg is allowed in the bin ergo their poo is composed of everything that's allowed in the bin!

It's not as simple as that or we could compost our own bodily waste too :eek:

It's the risk of the pathogens in the dog's gut contaminating the compost and risking passing on those pathogens to the soil around the likes of vegetables. I don't think there is enough research into it so most waste companies err on the side of caution until it is proven that carnivore waste is safe to compost and put back into the food chain.

I dont think non composting bags contaminate compostable waste in the same way animal waste would, but the bags themselves would be, rubbish of no value to composting, unsightly, I could see them being a nuisance if compost is mixed mechanically,
    as mentioned, the pathogens in the dog (and cat)waste are the problem..while they might be dealt with naturally in meat eating wild animals in nature, thats on a a certain density of wildlife.
    Someone with a pet filling a bin with that kind of waste from is going to be of a higher volume than say a wild animals waste which is more widely spread, the businesses involved probably are erring on the side of caution to some extent, but maybe they know there isnt enough time to ensure and confirm all the waste has been bio degraded.

I wouldnt rely on on websites that have their own agenda to sell items for whats allowed or not myself, I dont think that site should be encouraging that kind of disposal, which they seem to be doing.

There are pet waste composters, Ive considered one myself, but I think the volume of waste would exceed the composters capacity so I canned the iodea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I don't think it is permitted. Having left my Brown Bin out at the end of my drive for collection (full to top with garden waste) some "individual" placed their biodegradable bag of dog poo on top of the garden waste. The bin was not lifted by the Council. At least the dog owner was picking up the dog waste, but I was a bit pissed!

We checked with Panda and they said it was ok in the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

why not put it down the toilet like our waste...simplest way...

Rosier wrote: »
    why not put it down the toilet like our waste...simplest way...

Because then I'd have to carry it upstairs lol! :pac:

AJ drain in your backgarden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Because then I'd have to carry it upstairs lol! :pac:

ah I have two loos. one downstairs..

I am in a very rural situation so no dustbins to deal with. tins and bottles get recycled as the bank down the lane and I use paper to light the range.
    plastic bottles get used as plantpots and mini greenhouses..

I am using the dog poo on the edges of the garden where it abuts the field to deter rabbits and deer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've emailed CityBin asking them to clarify. I always believed it wasn't safe but I'll let you know what they say.

Ok got my reply and yes, CityBin say you can dispose of dog poo in your brown bin in small household quantities. :)

Ok got my reply and yes, CityBin say you can dispose of dog poo in your brown bin in small household quantities. :)

Ah great - we're with city bin atm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

My crowd said said yes to cat waste as we use chick crumb.

I was suprised by this so out of curiosity phoned city bin as its around the time of renewing my contract with thorntons.
    City Bin told me, they do NOT allow dog/petwaste in the brown bin and Id be suprised if anyone allows it, Id reiterate, that each person should contact their own provider and see what they have to say.
    Id be curious to see the text of the email as maybe someone made a mistake, City Bin told me dog waste could be disposed of in the general rubbish bin in a bag, why anyone would want to put it in any bin astonishes me, I manage my rubbish so only put the bins out every two months, I wouldnt want dog cRRAP stinking the bin for months nevermind the hygiene aspect of it. I just put it down the normal soil waste.

Thorntons also said no dog waste in the brown bin.
    I should add, when I asked first they said they did allow it, but I said the pamphlet they sent out said not allowed, the person checked and came back and said, oh actually you're not allowed, that they just assumed it would be allowed, so I just dont think people answering the phones/emails know for sure or it isnt communicated to them, personally I think its too much chance of mess in the bin that I'll end up having to clean up for a second time.

My crowd said said yes to cat waste as we use chick crumb.
    who are your crowd?

I why anyone would want to put it in any bin astonishes me, I manage my rubbish so only put the bins out every two months, I wouldnt want dog cRRAP stinking the bin for months nevermind the hygiene aspect of it. I just put it down the normal soil waste.

Different strokes I suppose - I'd have a hygiene issue leaving a bin for 2 months without having it collected!

I was suprised by this so out of curiosity phoned city bin as its around the time of renewing my contract with thorntons.
    City Bin told me, they do NOT allow dog/petwaste in the brown bin and Id be suprised if anyone allows it, Id reiterate, that each person should contact their own provider and see what they have to say.
    Id be curious to see the text of the email as maybe someone made a mistake, City Bin told me dog waste could be disposed of in the general rubbish bin in a bag, why anyone would want to put it in any bin astonishes me, I manage my rubbish so only put the bins out every two months, I wouldnt want dog cRRAP stinking the bin for months nevermind the hygiene aspect of it. I just put it down the normal soil waste.

Thorntons also said no dog waste in the brown bin.
    I should add, when I asked first they said they did allow it, but I said the pamphlet they sent out said not allowed, the person checked and came back and said, oh actually you're not allowed, that they just assumed it would be allowed, so I just dont think people answering the phones/emails know for sure or it isnt communicated to them, personally I think its too much chance of mess in the bin that I'll end up having to clean up for a second time.

who are your crowd?

I've asked her to recheck and confirm. Will let you know.

Different strokes I suppose - I'd have a hygiene issue leaving a bin for 2 months without having it collected!

Different strokes maybe,
    No food products in the grey bin to rot or attract rodents, general rubbish, no food wrappers that haven't been cleaned, 6-8 weeks if I can squeeze it that far or more. requires standing on the kennel and stamping down the contents but my bin is by lift, not weight.

All plastics, washed, squashed and flattened into the green bin, can take a few weeks

I dispose of all green waste and cooked food waste and peelings in the brown bin, it just doesnt seem right to put dog/cat waste in there, the answer I got concerns me as the person answering the phone just gave me what they thought was the answer.

Minimise the hygiene risk I think, at the worst Id bag the dog waste and bin it in the grey bin as suggested by city bin, but as my bin doesnt go out regularily, I prefer to get it nearer the time it has been deposited and put it down the soil waste drain out the back, thought everyone had one of those AJ drains, wouldnt be brining it into the house to flush.

I cant see dog waste being of beneficial compostable material, besides its highly pathogenic. I just think care needs to be taken to ensure to limit anyones exposure to it, removing it is just an unpleasant but necessary side affect of keeping a dog.

The lady from CityBin called me this morning. She confirmed again, in household quantities, as opposed to dog kennels etc, then it is ok to put dog poo in the brown bin.
    However, she did say that you should always put your brown bin out every two weeks as letting the brown bin contents decompose by itself is not good. Whatever they do to it when it gets to their recycling centres means it can be recycled properly.
    I told her about here and she may come along and clarify herself.

• Advertisement

Did they say what kind if bags? I use biodegradable ones but I don't think they're actually suitable for for composting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry to but in here, I don't even have a brown bin but my mam does, and it says on the bin leaflet that all food scraps should be double wrapped in newspaper before being put into the bin. I was shocked when I was there at Christmas, opened the bin and saw a very neat stack of wrapped parcels :P

She asked me to throw out the compost and I was saying there's no need to wrap them and it's silly they ask you to do it.

What's the story with that?

I'd assume it's because the newspaper is absorbent and to stop the bin getting too wet and smelly if everything is dumped in? Bear in mind too - depending on how you pay for your bins some people may have the bins sitting there for months if they pay per lift so if it was all just thrown in the bin would stink! Not nice to walk by on a sunny day!

That makes sense alright. Must find out how much it is for her, might be better for her just to get an actual compost bin at the back of the garden.

cormie wrote: »
    That makes sense alright. Must find out how much it is for her, might be better for her just to get an actual compost bin at the back of the garden.

Look up the county council website - eg on the DCC's site they say you can buy subsided bins from them
    To our shame when our bin was pay per lift the brown bin would be left a couple of months :mad: - the last time flies laid eggs in it it was banished and we haven't had one for the last year. I took over waste management duties in the house and we now pay by month so brown bin arrived yesterday. :p

I have garden compost bin myself and don't eat anything that can't be composted so never used the black bin, I think I went about 26 months before putting out the black bin again at one stage :)

Can DLRCC members get the subsidised bins or do you need to give your address etc when buying? I wonder is the kitchen caddy any use..

I was just on the phone to CityBin (not about poo lol) but decided to ask them and yes you can put in the brown but they ask if it can be wrapped in paper/a compostable bag.

Advertisement