Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit chilly out there?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I know Ireland has its own issues with weather right now, but brrrr! Here in Arkansas (that's in the South!!!), it is currently -14F/ -26C, and dropping still. So cold the dog peed on the porch against the house wall, he didn't want to go further than a yard outside the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

In Cincinnati, we reached our high for the day at 3 degrees at 4am this morning.......we're right at -5F now with wind-chills -20/-30F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

It was -30C the other day. Today is 10C and tomorrow is -10C. Kind of mad.

PSA.......with wind-chills below -30F, exposed skin can suffer the effects of frostbite with only 15 minutes of exposure.

Stay warm out there boardies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A friend of mine up in Ohio (-35F/ - 38C), her heating went out. The police is not allowing anyone out on the street so she cannot get it fixed. Emergency vehicles will be allowed after 12 non so she hopes heating repair will be considered emergency vehicles.

silja wrote: »
    A friend of mine up in Ohio (-35F/ - 38C), her heating went out. The police is not allowing anyone out on the street so she cannot get it fixed. Emergency vehicles will be allowed after 12 non so she hopes heating repair will be considered emergency vehicles.

Sadly not unless there is an infant, elderly or someone with a medical condition in the house, but I think the travel restrictions will be lifted before very long.

Left my wife and newborn at home this morning, set up the fireplace so she'd just need to light the firelighter if the heating goes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

PSA.......with wind-chills below -30F, exposed skin can suffer the effects of frostbite with only 15 minutes of exposure.

Stay warm out there boardies!

If you have to go out, layer on vaseline over your face. It creates a barrier.

My wife's school district has already called off tomorrow.......we have no snow at all, closing just due to the cold.

Pretty much the entire state of Indiana is shut down, so the state education superintendent has issued a waiver meaning schools don't have to make up todays missed day of school.....as a "state-wide safety issue"....she has the power to issue the waiver to avoid having districts taking any chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Places were closed yesterday and all schools, universities, libraries, city buildings, are closed today. We had snow drifts, cleared the driveway this morning. Current temps in central IL are at -10F (more like -30 with windchill).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I was supposed to be going to Indiana yesterday for a work trip for this week, flight was obviously cancelled. My office there is shut down, and people are being told not to leave their houses except in absolute emergency.

So instead, I'm sat in California in 68f.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Watched the Green Bay VS 49'ers on the telly box last night. I was shivering just watching it. Stay safe everyone !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I've had 2 family member contact me today to make sure that all is well. Seems that the RTE news gave the impression that the whole country is frozen over but while it's cold in NYC (21F and dropping down to 9F tonight) it's really just for the one day in New York before heading back up to 63F for the weekend !

Ponster wrote: »
    I've had 2 family member contact me today to make sure that all is well. Seems that the RTE news gave the impression that the whole country is frozen over but while it's cold in NYC (21F and dropping down to 9F tonight) it's really just for the one day in New York before heading back up to 63F for the weekend !

I was here a couple of years before my family came to terms with how big the US is.....at first they would email or skype checking if we were ok every time a major storm was reported.....most of the time the answer was "yes, that storm was 2000 miles away"

I can understand though, afterall, whenever there's a big storm in ireland, the whole country is hit, so I guess that's the mindset.

I was here a couple of years before my family came to terms with how big the US is.....at first they would email or skype checking if we were ok every time a major storm was reported.....most of the time the answer was "yes, that storm was 2000 miles away"

I can understand though, afterall, whenever there's a big storm in ireland, the whole country is hit, so I guess that's the mindset.

I know exactly what you mean. When I first moved to the US, I was living on the east coast and my sister was over on the west coast. When I'd be over here on holidays, people naturally would ask me how she was. They were just amazed that I wasn't popping in to her for cups of tea every other day. When I would explain that even though we were both in the same country, I was just as far away from my sister, as I was to from people in Ireland Ireland, they would nod, but they still couldn't get their heads around it. :P

And today we have been introduced to "frost quakes"

It's so cold that underground water pockets are freezing solid, causing loud bang and cracks in the soil above as the expanding ice runs out of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Ponster wrote: »

NYC has some crazy weather. I've been in shorts at Halloween and in snow gear in April some years.

So we're in the grips of it again....this time they're saying it's a Polar Plunge (apparently more severe than a polar vortex).......but all the weather related stories did have me stumble across this gem today.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ebf_1390071441&comments=1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So we're in the grips of it again....this time they're saying it's a Polar Plunge (apparently more severe than a polar vortex).......but all the weather related stories did have me stumble across this gem today.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ebf_1390071441&comments=1

He should just move no? I mean Fargo, ND is not known for it's warm weather

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've a grand coal/log fire going here in Ireland, blazing !! Lovely. Sorry guys and girls in cold land !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

about to head out into ~-15C (with windchill), at least sun is out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    about to head out into ~-15C (with windchill), at least sun is out. :)

A brisk -10C here.

• Advertisement

My old home town of Atlanta got a whopping 2 inches of the white stuff today. My Facebook feed is now full of everyone posting pictures of what their drive ways are like, as if no one knows what snow looks like. It was cute for the first 5 minutes, but now IT IS STARTING TO PISS ME OFF !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

-13C here at the moment, forecast to be -28C with windchill in the morning!

Still been walking to work though, nice and refreshing once you have the right gear for it. The amount of people outside completely unprepared for it though... madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

spideog7 wrote: »
    The amount of people outside completely unprepared for it though... madness.

It's one thing to be unprepared, but what of the people- young men mostly- STILL walking around in shorts/???? Crazy.

silja wrote: »
    It's one thing to be unprepared, but what of the people- young men mostly- STILL walking around in shorts/???? Crazy.

After driving to work on Saturday, with snow-covered interstates after 4 inches of snowfall the previous night.......it shocks me to hear stories of folks in Atlanta taking 16 hours to go 10 miles, and kids sleeping on school buses on the side of the road because the drivers gave up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mty wife choose the wrong time to go to Milwaukee. Temps are in F but when it get's to about -40 it's pretty mush the same in either scale :)

KR9lWCx.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

TBH, once the temperature drops below -10c it's pretty much the same

I'm going to Chicago tomorrow for work, and then Poland for a week. Think I need to look out the long johns.

However..In the Bay Area, we've had our first rain for 7 weeks (worst rainy season ever) and are still officially in drought. Crazy weather all over the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I was in the middle of the Atlanta mess yesterday.

I was one of the lucky ones - made it home from work in 2hrs. Usually takes 30mins. I know of plenty of people who slept in vehicles on the interstates. Some coworkers slept in the office overnight. I passed 1,000s of people commuting the other direction who were never going to get home that night - I really appreciated having a reverse commute.

The 3" of snow wasn't the problem. It was the lack of emergency response from the state. It was an absolute shambles. By the time the gravel trucks went out on the roads, they were already iced. The trucks ended up stranded only yards from the depots.

Where were you going to/from, if you don't mind my asking? I used to work in Buckhead, but I lived beside Cumberland Mall, right where 285 & 75 merge. I think I would have been very hard hit, if I was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Not prepared for it, same thing that happened at home a few years back when we got hit with the few weeks of snow and ran out of salt. It really doesn't make sense in a place like that to spend money preparing for something that happens so infrequently, should have just closed the schools when they knew it was coming.

I drove through a bad snowstorm on I80 a few weeks back and I thought I was done for despite the fact that there was ploughs constantly circling between each set of exits, the road had been pretreated with spray and they were salting. Took me about an hour and a half to go 30 miles before the snow eased off.

• Advertisement

spideog7 wrote: »
    should have just closed the schools when they knew it was coming.

They've been trying to lay the blame on the national weather forecasters for only predicting up to 1 inch.....but this is just another sign that they aren't used to snowy weather......those of us in the cold states know that if a weatherman says there'll be an inch, we could get anything from a light dusting to 5 inches.

Advertisement