Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit chilly out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Where were you going to/from, if you don't mind my asking? I used to work in Buckhead, but I lived beside Cumberland Mall, right where 285 & 75 merge. I think I would have been very hard hit, if I was still there.

ProudDUB, if you had left work before 2pm, it would have taken you an hour or so. After 4pm: you would have had to walk.

I was extremely lucky. Kennesaw Mtn - Grant Park in 1hr50mins. Before leaving work, I spent forever studying Google maps with the traffic overlay. Figured there was one road that would bring me back into the City. It worked. Barely. I was driving a big Toyota pickup that was 2wd. Loaded the bed up with bricks for traction. So not the ideal vehicle, but it worked. Focused on momentum conservation all the way home - traffic lights and stop signs be-damned! Passed 1,000s going the opposite direction that were parked; stuck for the whole night or walking a long way.

Had fun sledding with my daughter on Wednesday. Slid back to work Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Most of the schools in central Il have already been closed between 6-8 days this year, the schools will have to stay open to sometime in June it looks like. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Focused on momentum conservation all the way home - traffic lights and stop signs be-damned!

Hah that's what I had to do the other day, bad all season tyres and I rarely drive my car this time of year if it's bad so I couldn't be bothered to change them. Thankfully it's a manual so I had a good bit more control than the auto, literally drove for an hour and half before I put my foot on my break pedal despite 4 stop signs and one set of traffic lights on about 10 miles of country roads before I got to the interstate, best bit of driving I'm ever likely to do in my life... combined with some stroke of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

It reached -2C here in New Orleans, we got two snow days despite there being no snow. Ah well, I'm not complaining.

6-9 inches of snow expected for central Illinois Tuesday through Wednesday with gusts. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

6-9 here in Kansas also..... its times like this I am jealous of herself being a teacher!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

and who said there was global warming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

We were closed for snow yesterday and closed for ice rain today.... that makes 11 days of school closings this season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

and who said there was global warming

No one since about 2005 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Now ice, as well, and power outages all over (at least around Philly). It was surreal driving home last night, through miles of commercial strips that are normally lit up bright as day with neon shop and restaurant signs. All pitch black. Half our town is out, and the township just north of us has more than 20,000 out of 22,000 total customers in the dark.

Tuesday night a tree fell across our garage door so my wife's car is trapped in there. It took two phone lines with it for good measure. The tree guys can't even take a look at it until lunchtime today (and I won't be holding my breath for that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Yesterday was snow day number 10 for our school district......2 have been forgiven, they have 7 scheduled make-up days.....so yesterday means they are officially adding days on to the end of the school year.

We have had 12 snow days so far, and there is ten inches of snow forecast for next week so likely more.... They are going till 3rd June, taking 2 days from spring break, and considering Saturday school.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

We had over 13 inches of snow yesterday, not counting a dose of freezing rain in the middle for good measure. Made the snow weigh a ton. I'll need a back transplant. Kids were off school yesterday and had a late opening this morning.

Our local school is focusing on having class on days that were supposed to be teacher in-service or for parent-teacher conferences. They have school on Monday (Presidents' Day) when they should have been off. Hopefully won't cut into school holidays too much.

This winter is a PITA.

Our winter average is 11.2 inches........so far this season we have 39.8 inches....and another 3-5 tonight

Had about an inch or two today. Meant to get in the mid 50s next week though! :)

Freezing rain today making the roads treacherous, had thundersnow earlier this morning!

Snow has melted and it's 70 degrees out.....but now we need to deal with some hooker from Texas

About 50F today, a lot of thawing. It lashed overnight with plenty more of that on the way shortly. Going to be a rough night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

About 6" yesterday and another 6" a few days previous. Total so far - about 6' 50*F today for a few hours but freezing rain forecast for tonight. Thaw for a few days before dropping back down again. :(

here we go again........ Winter storm Titan brewing in the west.

Depending on temperature, we're either going to have 2 inches of ice, or 8-10 inches of snow Sunday through Monday.

• Advertisement

Aye, a few days ago it was 1-3 inches, now showing 4-8 possible on Saturday through Sunday in the central IL. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Threads like this make me so happy I chose Vegas. It's been mid-70's recently and beautiful.
    I keep debating to move to the northeast coast but hear this and then forget about it.

Threads like this make me so happy I chose Vegas. It's been mid-70's recently and beautiful.
    I keep debating to move to the northeast coast but hear this and then forget about it.

Well the saying around here (and I'm sure other states) is that the four seasons in Ohio are Summer, Almost Winter, Winter and Still Winter......Winter is officially over in a couple of weeks, but Still winter looks to extend into April.

PS....the alternate, and possibly more accurate saying is almost winter, winter, still winter and construction.

My mother is supposed to be flying in Monday.... ice rain on Monday... she may be delayed.

Oh good lord.....65 degrees yesterday.....today, i went for a walk at the park during my lunch hour because it's 74 degrees.....tomorrow, 2 inches of snow.....GO HOME MOTHER NATURE, YOU'RE DRUNK!

similar here, 68 today and meant to rain/snow tonight but i doubt much of it will stick, too warm over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Down to 7* tonight but this is the last of the cold. Spring has finally begun to sprung. Give me the mozzies over the ice anyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Hailstones for the walk to work this morning. Roll on Spring!

Hail and tornado warnings here... joy.
    Cat carriers are ready, my non-verbal boy has details written with sharpie on his arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

We're getting 60-65 degree days here in Southern California. It would be great to get some pics of all the craziness going on around the country?

Advertisement