Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rescue Dog!

• 06-01-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭

We picked up Suzie, a 2 year old black Lab cross, from Dogs Trust yesterday and she is a delight!

She is a bit nervous, but very quickly coming around. No problems eating yesterday. Not house trained so a few accidents, but also a few successes.

However last night was not so smooth! We left her in her crate in the living room (lights off, no radio) settled down for the night and went upstairs. About 45 minutes later, the barking and howling started! I know we should leave her be, but our daughter was in the bedroom above her and like any 8 year old really needs her sleep (school day today!). So after a few minutes we went down to Suzie and calmed her down. We moved her crate into my office, which is the converted garage attached to the house (typical semi-d in an estate), and left Suzie there with a light on.

About 10 minutes later she started again. We left her to it for about 30 minutes and she stopped and started again quite a few times. Eventually we went back down to her as the garage is attached to the next door neighbours house, so the noise would have to have been loud enough to them also.

Suzie was so excited to see us she pee'ed all over the place!

Anyway, finally we moved the crate back into the living room and one of us (my wife!!!) slept on the couch. All quiet for the rest of the night.

I know it is separation anxiety for her. She was used to having another dog in her kennel in Dogs Trust, so she was all alone last night for the first time, along with all the upheaval of going to a new home.

I think we need to wean her off slowly rather than force it. At the moment she is asleep, or resting in the lounge in her crate (which is open) and I am in the office with the door closed, so this is great.

Should we just keep leaving here alone for periods of time during the day and build up slowly? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Added complication is our 2 cats, but that's for another post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Congratulations on your new dog! Could u move the crate to your room untill she settles and the gradually move it out to where you want? Beats sleeping on the couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The first few nights are difficult.

First things first would be to call in to your close neighbours and explain that you have a new dog who is finding it hard to settle at night, that you're working hard on this and it shouldn't take long for it to be sorted but that you'd really appreciate it if they could give you a bit of patience for the next week or so.

Nala's suggestion is one method, start the crate in your bedroom and gradually move it to where you want it to be.

Another method is to silently go down to the kitchen, or where ever the crate is and give the dog absolutely no attention, and make a cup of tea or have a glass of water, give it a couple of minutes and then silently go back to bed, so the dog gets re-assurance but doesn't get out of her crate or get any attention, so there's no major reward for her.

I'd also get some kongs and freeze food (mince/pate etc) into them, give it to her as the very last thing you do before turning off the light and with luck she'll take so long to get the food out that she'll tire herself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had planned on calling in to the neighbours this evening to explain. They have a dog themselves so I'm sure they will be very understanding.

The crate in the bedroom is a possibility, although maybe a last resort.

I like the idea of going into the room, but ignoring her, so she sees she is not alone but also does not get attention. We might try that tonight and if it fails, bring her up to our room temporarily.

She has a fantastic temperament and I think she has had some form of training before as she is not pulling too much on the lead and is happy to sit for treats, so I'm sure she'll settle in quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I found a settling in routine when it was time for bedtime worked a treat with my dogs. Once they were in the crate, I'd spend five to ten minutes rubbing them down, telling them they were good dogs, that it was bedtime and well done on going into the crate. Kind of like a soothing thing you'd do with a baby or small child. The dogs would sit up and be happy to be rubbed and then once they were either lying down or looked calm enough, I'd keep telling them bedtime and gently close the crate door, turn off the lights and go upstairs.

It might help to get her used to the night time routine.

Best of luck. Any chance of some photos of the new addition to the family??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think giving her the security of feeling close to you at night initially is probably the best way to go for all concerned. It guarantees zero barking and no distress. Once she settles in and feels secure she will settle downstairs where you want her to be sleeping on a permanent basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Happy to report she is getting better at being left on her own now. My wife has slept on the couch for the last few nights (she says it is more comfortable than our bed!!) so we are happy that Suzie is just getting settled and less nervous.

We can leave her on her own downstairs during the day for short periods without any problems and we are building on that.

We will probably move the crate upstairs to our bedroom this weekend and let her sleep with us, and then, as suggested, slowly move the crate out of the room and downstairs. There's no rush and it will happen as Suzie gets well settled in.

She had some training in a previous life, as she easily sits and gives the paw on command. She's quite good on the lead too, not pulling too much. Toilet training is also coming on faster than we expected, so I am sure she was toilet trained previously. She's probably spent about 4 months or so out of a home environment, so she's a bit of catching up to do.

In general she's a fantastic dog with a great temperament and a sense of fun too. Likes chewing things! But easily managed when you offer a treat as a swap!

Here's 2 photos of the girl:
    This was in Dogs Trust before we picked her up
    photo1s.jpg

And this is her at home laying claim to a nice blanket for her crate!
    photo2s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

She is a lovely looking dog. Fair play to you for giving her a second chance. All the best!

Advertisement