Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 7th Jan 20:15 WES2 123.ie

• 06-01-2014 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

First game back after the break.

Let's keep the run going

Ed -
    Cathal -
    Craig -
    Damo -
    Keith -
    Derek McD -
    Paddy -
    SteMcD -
    Ciaran -
    Darren -
    Luke C -
    Dave -
    Jules -
    Ste K -
    Derek McL -
    Kingsley -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

im in for this

I'll be out for the next 3-4 weeks at least :(

PLayed a festive 7 a side around Xmas and tore my groin muscle pretty badly , can hardly walk. Good luck lads I'll probably drop up for some morale support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

PLayed a festive 7 a side around Xmas and tore my groin muscle pretty badly , can hardly walk. Good luck lads I'll probably drop up for some morale support!

Sorry to hear that Craig - you were in some serious form and everything!

Des, I'm coming on bit by bit. Playing a six aside tonight so assuming I come through that, will be up tomorrow as backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm having an issue sending text messages - bleedin Vodafone.

Can everyone who knows other players get in touch with them?

and people laughed when i said having an astro so soon before our return match posed the risk of injuries :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i'm in aswell

kingsley is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in....played up in wesley earlier and it was rough. the ref was talking about calling the game off as the goals kept getting blown off the top pitch. had to get the hockey goals and put them on top of them to keep them down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty calm today so we should be ok

• Advertisement

Ed - in
    Cathal - in
    Craig - inj
    Damo - in
    Keith - in

Paddy - in
    SteMcD -
    Ciaran - in
    Darren - in

Luke C -
    Dave - in
    Jules - in
    Ste K -
    Derek McL - in
    Kingsley - in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pretty calm today so we should be ok

WHAT. Just took the wee fella for a walk and nearly got blown over about 10 times.

WHAT. Just took the wee fella for a walk and nearly got blown over about 10 times.

pretty calm in SoCoDu :pac:

Actually raging I'm missing this.

Best of luck lads

Actually raging I'm missing this.

Best of luck lads

We expect you to cheer from the side :D

Finally we beat them!

3-1 win in pretty windy conditions. We did very well in the first half and were three up, then it took them 20 mins to get one back in the second half.

An excellent performance in both halfs though.

7 points clear with 7 games to go. We need to keep the wins coming though. There's still one team we haven't played yet, and they could be a banana skin.

Quality performance lads. Excellent 1st half, while that wind made it extremely difficult to play football, we looked to do so and put some lovely passing moves together a few times, not least the lovely lateral move to get it wide to Kings who whipped in a belter of a cross that had enough speed on it not to be affected by the wind and Derek planted a top notch header finish to it. Darren's free kick played the wind perfectly to whip it right into the far corner, peach.

We also pushed up very well to stop them playing it out of defence easily. 2nd half it was very difficult as it seemed the wind upped a level further and either way it's hard to get it down into that wind. Ed's kickouts were much better than theirs and we got relief at times and even carved out a few good chances but overall it was a measured defensive 2nd half, rather than pure backs to the wall stuff. Discipline was the key we mentioned at half-time and we were excellent on that front, very little by way of silly free kicks given away, we got a little, but not a lot, frustrated with decisions at times and that's probably natural in the conditions, though we should always be looking for things to improve and that's one of them.

Fair enough it was a 6-pointer and it was great to put our bogey team thing to rest, but that's all it was. Eyes on the prize and the next prize is 3 points next week, we need to keep this strong run going, don't be thinking about anything beyond that for now.

pretty much the complete performance. first half excellent, started strong and drove home the dominance. a few weeks back we were 4-0 up after playing with the breeze and we were lucky to win - back then we panicked, dropped the work ethic and lost our discipline, giving away silly frees and goals.

on that basis, i was expecting a nightmare second half, but truth be told we were superb and i had one save to make so as it stands, it looks like we learned from that night.

everything that was thrown at us was from set pieces really - 4 or 5 long throws, a shed load of corners and about 6 free kicks, all of which bar one were defended magnificently.

just to give an idea of how the conditions are playing their part at the moment, there were 13 goals scored in the two games on that pitch last night so that gives an idea of how well we defended in that second half, to only concede one was some achievement. the most pleasing aspect however is we did that not by sitting back, but by working hard, not allowing them time on the ball, being organised when we had to and more to the point, not panicking...some great passages of play, great football played in that second half and lost very little possession - we could and perhaps should have scored a couple in that second half but overall, i think we should be delighted with what we got.

fair play to Darran and Jules for the two clearances off the lines from the corners, we spoke at half time to have this sorta organisation and again we carried it out exactly as we planned.

big one next week, playing the cork lads and being fair to them, i think they are the best team we have played so far this year, we were lucky to beat them the last time and they caused us alot of problems.

we do however find ourselves in a very unusual position that 11 games into a 10 team league, we have already beaten everybody at least once!
    Ed's kickouts

impossible to get direction on them at times but most of them stayed on the pitch anyway and landed well inside their half which was a bonus. when looking for distance against the wind, its all about valve up and hit through the middle of the ball through the laces. very easy to just loop it up in the air as hard as you can but as we saw in the first half, they kept putting the majority of their clearances out over the sideline.

^^ Great post, thanks for that.

Another game where we didn't concede from "open play" - although the goal they got was a volley in a crowded box, should have been picked up maybe?

There's just one more thing
    we do however find ourselves in a very unusual position that 11 games into a 10 team league, we have already beaten everybody at least once!

We've not played Kooventus yet, as our game against them comes late in the schedule, and it was the game that was postponed before Xmas.

Great performance lads in horrible conditions.

I had to head before the final whistle it was far too cold. Don't know how you manage it Des :p

HOping to be back in a few weeks was really annoyed not being able to play

• Advertisement

^^ Great post, thanks for that.
    Another game where we didn't concede from "open play" - although the goal they got was a volley in a crowded box, should have been picked up maybe?

erra not really, it was a great ball in from the short corner and we'd just defended about 10 set pieces in a row, so we were bound to concede one. some finish from him, same lad who got that cracker on the bounce straight from the kick out in the first game.
    We've not played Kooventus yet, as our game against them comes late in the schedule, and it was the game that was postponed before Xmas.

S*it forgot about them...we play them twice and they will fancy themselves of still having a shot of winning the league as they can claw back 6 points on us and are now up to 3rd.

we still have a huge amount of work to do yet, 7 really tough games coming up now, 4 of them will be against the teams in 3rd, 4th and 5th which is a really difficult run for us.

long way to go yet.

erra not really, it was a great ball in from the short corner and we'd just defended about 10 set pieces in a row, so we were bound to concede one. some finish from him, same lad who got that cracker on the bounce straight from the kick out in the first game.

Short corner was my bad. No way was it a corner, it was a throw-in and I was momentarily distracted heading back into position for throw-in, Murtagh shouted to track the short corner but I responded a second too late, quality finish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

the goal they got was a volley in a crowded box, should have been picked up maybe?

There was a bit of confusion, as i think everyone expected a throw but they were awarded a corner... their big lad then ran out to take it (he's left-footed) and decided to take it quick to the lad already there. The delivery was good, very pacey, and the scorer got a perfect contact on it at waist height. He was being closed down, one of our defenders was very close to him (Paddy, I think) but the strike just missed him (and me).

Jules had a great clearance off the line and Darren had a great defensive header from a corner to the near post that might even have gone straight in.

Cork will be a tough prospect next week, they always give us a very hard game

Short corner was my bad. No way was it a corner, it was a throw-in and I was momentarily distracted heading back into position for throw-in, Murtagh shouted to track the short corner but I responded a second too late, quality finish though.

Jaysis, that's just not on Jules, don't bother coming any more :pac:
    murtagh wrote: »
    There was a bit of confusion, as i think everyone expected a throw but they were awarded a corner... their big lad then ran out to take it (he's left-footed) and decided to take it quick to the lad already there. The delivery was good, very pacey, and the scorer got a perfect contact on it at waist height. He was being closed down, one of our defenders was very close to him (Paddy, I think) but the strike just missed him (and me).

Ha!, that's me back in my box!

Great performance lads in horrible conditions.

I had to head before the final whistle it was far too cold. Don't know how you manage it Des :p

HOping to be back in a few weeks was really annoyed not being able to play

Tights are the way forward.

I actually meant to post on the wearing of tights last night.

Its not acceptable.. ever.

Gloves are acceptable, but only sometimes.

I actually meant to post on the wearing of tights last night.

Its not acceptable.. ever.

Gloves are acceptable, but only sometimes.

If he continues to "Do a Keith" and fluke goals from distance free-kicks he can continue with the transvestitism as much as he wants.

If he continues to "Do a Keith" and fluke goals from distance free-kicks he can continue with the transvestitism as much as he wants.

Expecting a few awards at end of season, vote for me, I'm Gary Goals.

Fundamental difference..

Darren had a shot..
    I cross it in :pac:

• Advertisement

Fundamental difference..

Darren had a shot..
    I cross it in :pac:

So, basically i should take every free kick.

Advertisement