Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet shop closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see the same heads sitting outside the same cafes.

they're the people who live here - its not that big a place, you will see the same people frequently.

there may be a lot of restaurants/cafes but you paint a very harsh picture of the village - I find it a pleasant place to walk around, there's much more of a buzz than there was (say) 15 years ago. Which better place are you on your way to as you're driving through?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Maybe a pub - it could snatch the Smallest pub in Ireland title off the Dawson Lounge!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Well many places but locally I would prefer the character and diversity of Bray over Greystones any day. It is so bland and so so middle class white in the town. It is like out of an episode of the Stepford Wives. Walk around Greystones and walk around Bray. There is such a bohemian feel to Bray with a great mix of nationalities and wealth. Well real life. Greystones is not anywhere near real life. It is so so exclusive.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Maybe a pub - it could snatch the Smallest pub in Ireland title off the Dawson Lounge!

it would certainly have more atmosphere than the Burno.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Well many places but locally I would prefer the character and diversity of Bray over Greystones any day. It is so bland and so so middle class white in the town. It is like out of an episode of the Stepford Wives. Walk around Greystones and walk around Bray. There is such a bohemian feel to Bray with a great mix of nationalities and wealth. Well real life. Greystones is not anywhere near real life. It is so so exclusive.

I think we're pretty diverse in Charlesland! One of the reasons I love living here:) - I understand you mean the village itself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    it would certainly have more atmosphere than the Burno.

The Burno? Is that where you drink Heino?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The pub can be called 'The Gym'. ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    The pub can be called 'The Gym'. ;)

and can serve coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I only tend to drive through as there is no reason to stop and I see the same heads sitting outside the same cafes. I still visit the bookshop, the library, the health shop and the opticians but that is about it.

So no reason to stop, except the four you listed! Sheesh.

So no reason to stop, except the four you listed! Sheesh.

I would rarely go to those - that was my point! Anyway I was just being grumpy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

BIG HUG FOR CHEEKY CHOPS EVERYONE! CHEER UP! January blues...I know......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

DD9090 wrote: »
    On the other hand is there any room for another coffee shop? There would be 2 either side within 1 minute walking distance.

AFAIK there's only one that opens early enough to catch early morning commuters. While Engenes did do coffee and sandwiches you wouldn't have known about it until you went in and quality wasn't on a par with others in the area.
    zanador wrote: »
    How about a pop up shop, gallery, rotating with local talent (of which we have loads). A little co-op, or something. Depends on the rent really, I suppose, any ideas how much it would be. Also, Eugene's surely does enough business to stay open, albeit under new management? Would hate to see it close

I didn't think there was much room in there for a gallery. Any time I went in it could only fit maybe two customers - layout might have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

How about a pop up shop, gallery, rotating with local talent (of which we have loads). A little co-op, or something. Depends on the rent really, I suppose, any ideas how much it would be. Also, Eugene's surely does enough business to stay open, albeit under new management? Would hate to see it close

I have been trying to find somewhere for ages. When i asked in the petshop he said i was 4th to ask about rent that day and the 10th that week and that it was taken. Didnt say to who. The only other place available in greystones is the other petshop building in meridian but at 35k a year a little steep. The old clothes shop near mrs robinsons went quick. I even asked about the old script/woodlands building and that is sale agreed too. Maybe someone needs to take on the half built units down by the florist / wine shop and Get them finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Jimjay wrote: »
    I have been trying to find somewhere for ages. When i asked in the petshop he said i was 4th to ask about rent that day and the 10th that week and that it was taken. Didnt say to who. The only other place available in greystones is the other petshop building in meridian but at 35k a year a little steep. The old clothes shop near mrs robinsons went quick. I even asked about the old script/woodlands building and that is sale agreed too. Maybe someone needs to take on the half built units down by the florist / wine shop and Get them finished.

Is Backstage at Bel's taken as well?

Is Backstage at Bel's taken as well?

the "To Let" sign is gone and I saw someone going into it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Jimjay wrote: »

Are those units in that eyesore not residential ? Anyhow I wouldn't be waiting for them to come up anytime soon as they are in NAMA as are the rest of the projects/lands owned by the outfit that built them, the same outfit incidentally that built the monstrosity by St David's.

While I'm here, I see C. Chops thinks Eugene's is unfriendly, mustn't have ever dealt with Eamonn or been in there of a Friday morning when the gent from the pet shop is in ( see how I've dragged it back on thread again :D) judging by the banter he wouldn't judge it unfriendly either!

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Are those units in that eyesore not residential ? Anyhow I wouldn't be waiting for them to come up anytime soon as they are in NAMA as are the rest of the projects/lands owned by the outfit that built them, the same outfit incidentally that built the monstrosity by St David's.

While I'm here, I see C. Chops thinks Eugene's is unfriendly, mustn't have ever dealt with Eamonn or been in there of a Friday morning when the gent from the pet shop is in ( see how I've dragged it back on thread again :D) judging by the banter he wouldn't judge it unfriendly either!

No! Eugene is kinda cute - it's the staff that are not friendly. In the last year I have seen Eugene once.

No! Eugene is kinda cute - it's the staff that are not friendly. In the last year I have seen Eugene once.

Eugene is long gone, last I heard was working in the National Gallery? But don't quote me on it! Eamonn is the man now but wouldn't be there that often right enough, I'm only ever there on a Friday morning and find the girls very good, must be my dazzling good looks and permanent sunny disposition ....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

Thought they were mixed use.

Well the theatre and those shops and studios on theatre lane were Nama but they were sold and signed for yesterday as a job lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

11870226256_5d9ef58519_c.jpg
    Jim Molton @ Pets Corner by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    A few more photos on www.greystonesguide.ie photo albums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

Yes, well done Pixby John for the most relevant post on this thread. Here's a man that has given 20 years to feeding the cats, dogs, goldfish and finches of Greystones, has cut keys for most houses in Greystones, has provided a great service for reasonable cost and has done it all with a smile. Well done, Jim. You will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

How about a rotation service bakery shop. Where the window is, you convert it into a serving window and you get either fresh baked bread, cakes or biscuits. You get about a dozen or more women/men from the area that enjoy baking and some of the profits go towards a local charity. This is something I mentioned on the Greystones Open Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

I feed mine on Skinners which I get on amazon - I get the Duck and rice or Salmon and rice which are great quality, maize and additive free, and cost about €25/15 kgs with free delivery on super savers.

Amazing value as food here of same quality can go for up to €60 for 15kgs

How do you store the dog food (or do you keep in original bag)?

I keep it in its original bag in an airtight plastic tub I got in woodies. I keep it in the downstairs toilet well away from any heat. It keeps fine this way, never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Sorry to hear the Pet Shop is closing. I spent many an afternoon in there as a young fella, looking at the birds and fish. Bought many an item there for various pets through the years as well. And I still have keys that were cut there a good 15 years ago.
    Guess he can't go on forever though, just never entertained the idea that it might close some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Oh whoa. I just went by earlier and it is all gutted out. :(

abacus120 wrote: »
    I heard it was going to be an antique shop :)

You're right, it is! Well according to local gossip this morning a local lady(Don't want to use her name in case not correct) is opening an antique and collectables shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

abacus120 wrote: »
    I heard it was going to be an antique shop :)

It's very small but it's going to be an antique shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

bido wrote: »
    It's very small but it's going to be an antique shop.

Bethnel's?

• Advertisement

'Deathknell' as my Da used to call it....:)

Advertisement