Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised Direct Debit

Options
  • 06-01-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My broadband provider cancelled my account in error last month and were quick to rectify their mistake, however they debited €200 from my account today as a cancellation charge even though they admit the mistake was theirs. I have been told it will take nearly 4 weeks to get a cheque for the amount they debited in error. I am making a complaint to them today but before I do that I was wondering is there anywhere I can go with this or is this practice acceptable i.e. am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

brodgers wrote: »
    My broadband provider cancelled my account in error last month and were quick to rectify their mistake, however they debited €200 from my account today as a cancellation charge even though they admit the mistake was theirs. I have been told it will take nearly 4 weeks to get a cheque for the amount they debited in error. I am making a complaint to them today but before I do that I was wondering is there anywhere I can go with this or is this practice acceptable i.e. am I wasting my time?
    go in to your bank and tell them that this is an unauthorised charge/debit and that they are obliged to return the funds to your account immediately, if they say this is not the case get the names of whoever you are dealing with and tell them you are making a complaint to the financial regulator and the Irish Payment Services Organisation.

It is your account and your money and your bank MUST follow your instructions regarding your account, they are also legally obliged to refund debits which are unauthorised immediately. It is then up to the company to chase you for any due amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

As per Foggy's post above. Google the direct Debit guarantee and take this in with you. Ideally have your original DD from your BB provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also if you have the cancellation error in writing because the banks probably hear this every day from people who actually make mistakes and still owe money but don't want to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheDriver wrote: »
    also if you have the cancellation error in writing because the banks probably hear this every day from people who actually make mistakes and still owe money but don't want to pay

It does not matter if the error is in writing or not. Once a customer gives the bank an instruction or advises them that the payment is unauthorised for a particular reason (incorrect amount or very irregular anount etc) the bank MUST act on that instruction immediately. Evidence is not required. If the amount is owed by the customer it is up to the company to seek payment directly from the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

You are not alone. Same thing happened me last month but they have now rectifyed the problem and apologised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 brodgers

Thanks for the advice. I telephoned the bank today and they said the only way I can cancel it is to call to the branch today and give a signature to the cancellation request. I wasn't in a position to call in today but I will tomorrow and see how I get on. Seems odd that I had to answer all manner of security questions to discuss my account but they still need a physical signature to get this reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Thanks for the advice. I telephoned the bank today and they said the only way I can cancel it is to call to the branch today and give a signature to the cancellation request. I wasn't in a position to call in today but I will tomorrow and see how I get on. Seems odd that I had to answer all manner of security questions to discuss my account but they still need a physical signature to get this reversed.

I had to complete a form for my bank recently and it contained an electronic signature. Best of luck anyways.

Advertisement