Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromebook with eduroam

• 06-01-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have a Chromebook? I can't get my new Acer C720 to connect to fecking eduroam.. Repetitive certificate rejection errors.. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I hate to threadjack, but as it's so quiet here... How are you finding the C720 in general? Any buyer's remorse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Oh I forgot about this thread! Turns out I got the wifi working. It's a random glitch in Android / ChromeOS where I had to change the encryption from what it is supposed to be, to something else, back to what its supposed to be. Silly, but frustrating.

I love it. I love bringing it to lectures. I love typing on it. I love how the battery lasts the best part of 8 hours so I never bring my charger. I love how it's so lightweight and portable. It is arguably the best purchase of my 4 years in college.

My tablet has become a glorified e-reader since I bought this..

Praise indeed! Maybe I should have bought one before PCW went out-of-stock. :)

You're using more as a "tablet with keyboard" than a laptop replacement, then? Don't suppose you happen to have tried out any of the various means of "Ubuntu-izing" it?

I use it for taking notes, reading notes, casual browsing, netflix.. The usual :)

I haven't enabled developer mode yet, no. I don't know why I haven't considering I am in computer science currently developing my FYP. I prefer coding on my desktop I guess.

PM me who your project supervisor is and I'll see if I can work in a good word for you. :D

Talking to people in PC World and the like would certainly put you off doing too much tinkering. I was asking today if they had a "change of mind" returns policy, and it seemed to be a big fat "maybe". I've had one person in a Certain Other Store tell me that dual-booting any laptop completely voids any warranty. (Warning, kids, Linux will DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER HARDWARE!) Installing Crouton rather than ChrUbuntu doesn't seem to involve even that much, but I do still have visions of them channeling this Harry Enfield character.if something goes Pete Tong.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    PM me who your project supervisor is and I'll see if I can work in a good word for you. :D

Talking to people in PC World and the like would certainly put you off doing too much tinkering. I was asking today if they had a "change of mind" returns policy, and it seemed to be a big fat "maybe". I've had one person in a Certain Other Store tell me that dual-booting any laptop completely voids any warranty. (Warning, kids, Linux will DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER HARDWARE!) Installing Crouton rather than ChrUbuntu doesn't seem to involve even that much, but I do still have visions of them channeling this Harry Enfield character.if something goes Pete Tong.

I was in PC World recently enough myself.. The girlfriend was buying a laptop and the sales assistant did an awful job of 'selling' us the laptop. In fact all he did was turn me off it, but I knew it was more than enough for what my girlfriend wanted. He knew nothing about the APU and told me there was no graphics card (An APU is a CPU/GPU combination essentially) so it wouldn't be capable of playing any games. He just looked at the numbers and decided whether or not each one was enough. Then when we agreed to take the laptop, he tried to sell me an anti virus guard at a discount. Eh, no.

I guess if you sell to retail margins, you hire monkeys! I hate it when people don't just say "don't know, but I'll find that out for you", and instead just keeping on BSing. Might work on some people, but personally, if I ask a genuine question that I don't know the answer to, and the person ignores that and answers a different question, and says something about it that I happen to know is wrong... Well, it doesn't inspire confidence.

The computer stores seem to have really minimal data sheets on what they sell, too. If it's not on the very-sketchy "sticker", their own recourse is to look at the spec on the nearly-as-dodgy customer website. If it's not on that, we're deep into "waffle" territory. Best strategy seems to be to take a note of model numbers, and look up proper specs online.

Advertisement