Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice or Nice?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭

nice.jpg

How do you pronounce them? 48 votes

Nice as in Fleece?
    0% 0 votes
    Nice as in mice?
    70% 34 votes
    Niiice as in scoring with your teacher?
    29% 14 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did you make that? Nice infographic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no, I got it from someone who posted it on Broadsheet.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    Did you make that? Nice infographic!

Is that rhyming with mice or fleece? :D

I call them Nice/rhyming with fleece because that's what my mother always called them. Or tile biscuits :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Obviously it rhymes with fleece, but that doesn't address the fact that they're one of the mankiest biscuits ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Like Nice the city. The answers to the poll are questions and the results are hidden. Good job, OP. :pac:

'Other suggestions included "Nietzsche", "neesa" and "gay biscuit"' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Like Nice the city. The answers to the poll are questions and the results are hidden. Good job, OP. :pac:

'Other suggestions included "Nietzsche", "neesa" and "gay biscuit"' :p

oops! can I edit it now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Poll results should be visible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zaph wrote: »
    Obviously it rhymes with fleece, but that doesn't address the fact that they're one of the mankiest biscuits ever made.

No! They are great for dunking, but you need to be a ninja-level dunker to get the maximum level of absorbtion before the biscuit disintegrates.

I bet that you are just saying that they are manky because you are a crap dunker. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Neece

There's no words, only sorrow :( Best of the plain biscuits by a mile, although not the cheapskate ones that come without sugar on top. An auntie brought us a pack of chocolate Nice biscuits before from London, around 15 years ago, we still talk about them

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No! They are great for dunking, but you need to be a ninja-level dunker to get the maximum level of absorbtion before the biscuit disintegrates.

I bet that you are just saying that they are manky because you are a crap dunker. :P

Dunking is wrong. Why anyone wants soggy biscuits is beyond me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they're one of the mankiest biscuits ever made.
    pretty bad alright. I hate the granulated sugar on them, also hate it on donuts, dunno why they always seem to put lovely powdered/icing sugar on those long cream donuts with the strawberry sauce stripe, but most others use granulated.

I only ever heard people call them nice, as in mice, as a piss take, or making smart comments like "they should be done for false advertising"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_biscuit
    There is some debate about the pronunciation and whether it is /ˈnaɪs/ (as in pleasant or pleasing) or /ˈniːs/ (as in the city of Nice in southern France).[3][4] The Australian biscuit maker Arnott's claims that the biscuit is named after the French city[5] (known as Nizza prior to 1860, when it was ceded to France, and Niça [classical norm] or Nissa [nonstandard] in the native Niçard Occitan). The biscuits were originally called faite à Nice (the French for "Made In Nice") but this was harder to print onto the biscuit so the "faite à" was dropped and the "Nice" part remained. Dutch biscuit maker Verkade claims its Nizza version (introduced in 1910) as the Netherlands' "most beloved cookie", and is celebrating the company's 125th anniversary with the release of a new cinnamon variant.[

Advertisement