Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Fran 2014

Options
  • 06-01-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

So who's looking at going to San Francisco this year? Have you booked yet, and is this your first time or have you been before?

Really looking forward to going there for the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DUUUUFFY

Looking at the 12 month J1 myself! San Francisco seems like quite the expensive city(accommodation, etc.). Looks like it may be tough to get settled in, but from what I've heard it's a great city, so it would be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 usa2014sanfran

I am looking at the 12 month J1 for san francisco also - looking for IT/business related internships... unsure of wether to book visa with USIT or IIIC though?? What are you guys thinking? I am going over on my own around september time hopefully!!

I'm going to go with the IIIC! Significantly cheaper than the others. Hopefully I can get over there as early as April, to look for IT/GIS related internships!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 usa2014sanfran

good stuff!! let me know how that goes - I am going to go with IIC also - seems the best option!!! :) the irish immigration pastoral centre in san fran are really helpful also you should send them an email!!

Sound, I'll look into them definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone looking at the summer and what areas are you looking to stay in?

If someone has frat house contact details that are partial to renting to guys and could let me know that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mattkylesmith

I'm looking to go to San Fran solo. Only starting to research it now but because I'm a UK student I can't go with usit/ go4less. It's about £600 to do it through the Uk company Bunac. I've heard the city is very expensive but I'm hoping to rent a room In a shared house. Anyone done much accommodation research yet?

Yeah have looked into it quite a bit. Places like Sunset, which is right next to the beach I think. Can you go with IIC if it's a summer visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Yeah have looked into it quite a bit. Places like Sunset, which is right next to the beach I think. Can you go with IIC if it's a summer visa?

sunset is nice (i'm biased, i live there). Rooms/apartments are usually cheaper the higher the avenue number (i.e. 46th is cheaper than 7th)

The beach is great, however if you live down there, it's 40 minutes downtown and can feel a bit like the end of the universe. Inner sunset has some great bars and restaurants and a couple of deli's where you can get everything you miss from Ireland

sunset is nice (i'm biased, i live there). Rooms/apartments are usually cheaper the higher the avenue number (i.e. 46th is cheaper than 7th)

The beach is great, however if you live down there, it's 40 minutes downtown and can feel a bit like the end of the universe. Inner sunset has some great bars and restaurants and a couple of deli's where you can get everything you miss from Ireland

Oh that sounds cool. Ha do you mean in a Josh Whedon kinda way or just a general doom feeling? How's the job market this year can I ask?

• Advertisement

I'm getting around 1,200 euro for San Franscisco with Sayit, pricey. thats dates from around 20th May till the start of Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The further out in the sunset you go, the quieter it gets and it starts to feel a bit, dull and windswept. Also, in the summer, the outer sunset has fog pretty much June->August.

As for the job market, i don't know to be honest with you. My job sent me over and my wife is pretty specialized in what she does, so she got a place pretty easily. I do know that over the summer, we heard a lot of irish voices working in deli's and shops in general and over in Berkeley you couldn't move for J1's so i doubt you'll have to much problem.

Just remember that SF is pretty expensive as things go, rent will tie up a lot of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KeaneyD

Myself and two of my buddys (all 21) are heading to Berkeley for the Summer on the 4th of June, we are looking to stay in a Frat House as hopefully this will reduce the cost. Would be looking for people to stay with. Any other Irish going over at the same time?

I'm getting around 1,200 euro for San Franscisco with Sayit, pricey. thats dates from around 20th May till the start of Sept.

We also got 1200 from sayit.... hopefully a small price to pay for the summer of a lifetime!!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bruen93

KeaneyD wrote: »
    Myself and two of my buddys (all 21) are heading to Berkeley for the Summer on the 4th of June, we are looking to stay in a Frat House as hopefully this will reduce the cost. Would be looking for people to stay with. Any other Irish going over at the same time?

Well dude me and 3 other heading Berkley this June to august also. Looking for a frat house 2. Probably be interested in sharing

Yeah, we would be interested in sharing too to keep the cost as low as possible and it would be great craic in a Frat house. Reading previous posts it seems like you just have to knock on Frat house doors???

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

So I was thinking of heading out the second week in June but I've been talking to people and they said it'd be too late to get jobs at that time, are they right?

Yeah two weeks into June is late into the J1 season and it will be a lot harder to find a job then unless you manage to pre-arrange something beforehand.

Can you not go earlier than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Changed my dates, now I'm flying out on the 2nd. Hopefully that'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bruen93

Yeah i heard that too. What date ye lads going out to SF on?

Advertisement