Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does UPC BB & Phone also give Analog TV service?

• 06-01-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

If I get the UPC BB & Phone only offer, would I also get the analog TV service? The only answer I can find to this question is over 2 years old so wanted to check if this was still the case before I sign up. Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Analogue transmissions ended on 24 October 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Ok, maybe it's not called the Analog service but the service where you get about 20 channels without needing a UPC box, just a TV tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Was that not just the terrestrial analog service? As far as I know the UPC analog service is still operating.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Still there in my house anyway. I don't use it, and I'm not sure what channels are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

That was digital terrestrial service received through an aerial not cable which UPC is received through, when the DTV was switch off UPC said they have no plans as of yet to switch off their analog service which is completely independent of DTV.

Many people are still receiving the analog cable service from UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

My original question still stands, would I still get the analog TV service if I get UPC BB & Phone package only? Tks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Dazzy wrote: »
    My original question still stands, would I still get the analog TV service if I get UPC BB & Phone package only? Tks!

Yes you will but you have to get outlets installed in the rooms you want it in by upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Dazzy wrote: »

That's an interesting one alright, but since the analog tv signal comes down the same cable as the broadband, and they have no way of blocking you from receiving it, I would guess the answer is yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, if your area still has it. Which is most areas. About 18 channels.

Irrelevant to cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

I have horizon downstairs. Also have a upc cable in bedroom with no white box or stb connected to it. Am I likely to receive anything from this if I connect it to tv. In Mullingar btw.

• Advertisement

eam77 wrote: »
    I have horizon downstairs. Also have a upc cable in bedroom with no white box or stb connected to it. Am I likely to receive anything from this if I connect it to tv. In Mullingar btw.

Assuming its actually connected to the tap still, yes, the basic analogue package.

Secondary points installed by UPC may be independently connected and disconnected when no longer paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

MYOB wrote: »
    Assuming its actually connected to the tap still, yes, the basic analogue package.

Secondary points installed by UPC may be independently connected and disconnected when no longer paid for.

Thanks. I will connect it up later and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

According to UPC's figures from the end of Sept they still have 54,000 analogue TV subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It works but if you're not paying them for analog tv its being a bold boy.

If you're a UPC broadband only subscriber they charge you an extra €6 pm, maybe this covers access to the analogue cable channels. They have no other way of controlling your access to them.

In Holland they automatically charge €18.50 to broadband only subscribers for their basic unencrypted analogue/digital channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

i have broadband only and receive like 3 channels - discovery e4 and channel 4- terrible quality though

bonkers wrote: »
    i have broadband only and receive like 3 channels - discovery e4 and channel 4- terrible quality though

Those 3 channels are carried in the UHF band, the others are carried in the VHF bands - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86334803#post86334803

Either your TV doesn't have a VHF tuner or you didn't use Ireland as the country during first install.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Commander Shepard

I have upc bb onlyHow do you connect your tv to the UPC thing on the wall there is two prongs and the UPC router is going into one and there is noting on the other one

Assuming the "prong" on the wall is a screw-on type, a cable like this should do - http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3690

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

It works but if you're not paying them for analog tv its being a bold boy.

:D
    I'm not a UPC subscriber but have a UPC outlet in my living room and pick up 12 channels. Good quality too :P

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Assuming the "prong" on the wall is a screw-on type, a cable like this should do - http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3690

The second outlet on the box is Band II VHF, no use for TV.

You need a F connector splitter and appropriate cabling.

MYOB wrote: »
    The second outlet on the box is Band II VHF, no use for TV.

You need a F connector splitter and appropriate cabling.

Splitter like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Splitter-Plug-Patch-electrosmart%C2%AE/dp/B003Y5DDP2/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

Cable from splitter to TV - http://www.amazon.co.uk/RG59-Type-Satellite-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B0035FCQHM/ref=pd_sim_ce_38

Connect the splitter to the bb outlet and the modem to one of the splitter outputs and the TV to the other splitter output

Advertisement