Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 with ylod - reball options

• 06-01-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

I have a PS3 that was reballed Feb 2013, but it is now showing ylod again.
    I am looking for some input from those with better knowledge than me :-)
    Should I try get it reballed again, or is it a waste of time? If its not a waste of time, I would appreciate any recommendations for someone carrying out such work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Normally if a console was reballed before I wouldn't advise getting it reballed again unless it failed within a very short time or it was a special console like a backwards compatible PS3. Your console worked for almost 10 months after the previous reball so it probably wasn't a shoddy repair and is just symptomatic of a console on its last legs.

The last I heard it was still quite expensive (in the region of €150) to get a refurbished console direct from Sony. If this is still the case this isn't an option worth exploring considering the refurbs have 3 months warranty and a new console is about €200 with 24 months warranty. I've no experiences with people who provide YLOD reball repairs but there are a few such as GCS on Capel St and some place called the Console Repair Centre out in Tallaght. There was also a user a while ago in the Playstation forum called jay_k who had knowledge of this stuff and possibly works for one of those establishments so he might be worth a shot for a private message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Thanks for the reply TouchingVirus, looks like the new console at €200 might be the best route so. Pity about having to lost what is saved on the crocked one, unless there is a way to recover from the HDD. There's a dvd in the drive aswell that would be good to get back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The DVD can be retrieved by opening the console and dismantling the DVD drive, a few screws would do it. The saves thing is a bigger issue because the hard drive is paired to that individual console so the console has to be working. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but if I had a YLOD console repaired previously and it had some valuable saves on it I'd have either implemented a backup plan to copy the saves to a memory stick or invested in some PSN Plus with cloud storage. A tough lesson to learn.

If you've some valuable save data there (like a 40 hour Skyrim game or something) then it might be worth seeing if you could get the console repaired? Look at it this way, PSN Plus costs €50/year for cloud storage. The memory stick about €20. The repair is probably going to cost you around €75 - is it worth the extra for what you've got saved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Nah I'm far from a serious gamer, the only thing I'd like to have recovered is from fifa, as I hadn't played any of my other games in a long time, so I'll manage without that. My wife got me FIFA 14 from Christmas so I would probably be switching over to it anyway. lesson learned regardless.

Advertisement