Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Hire/Extortionate Prices

Options
  • 06-01-2014 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi guys,

I've been shopping around to rent a campervan for the Electric Picnic Music and Arts Festival at the end of August, for a total of 5 days. Its looking like the minimum this is going to cost is in the region of €1000. There are only 2 people renting so this is way out of our price range. I've searched high and low and it appears that most providers will charge in and around this amount.

Im writing on here to ask if anyone could direct me to a company/website that may be cheaper to rent from.
    Or, if anyone on here would be willing to rent to my girlfriend and I for a more reasonable price?

The dates in question are from Thursday 28th August - Monday 1st September.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

robk84 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been shopping around to rent a campervan for the Electric Picnic Music and Arts Festival at the end of August, for a total of 5 days. Its looking like the minimum this is going to cost is in the region of €1000. There are only 2 people renting so this is way out of our price range. I've searched high and low and it appears that most providers will charge in and around this amount.

Im writing on here to ask if anyone could direct me to a company/website that may be cheaper to rent from.
    Or, if anyone on here would be willing to rent to my girlfriend and I for a more reasonable price?

The dates in question are from Thursday 28th August - Monday 1st September.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    Rob

Have a look at bunk campers - about 700 euro for that time. Thats about as peak as it gets and remember rental companies have to cover all their annual costs and make a profit in about 4 month.

Well if you only want it for one weekend...:pac:

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/camper-van/6095138

...you even have enough change to hire a 4x4 to tow it on site :D

Of course the real joy of a campervan is you can drive to a week long festival on the mainland Europe and buy tickets for almost the same price as an extortionate EP ticket.

Two of us drove to a 6 day festival in Croatia last year including ferries and tickets for just €150 over what it would have cost to get to EP and the stages ran all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy this one with tax and test and run it for the summer, do the EP thing in it then sell it on to someone else for the other festivals.
    Do it right and you could actually make a little or else break even and have a load of fun on the way.
    Who knows you may end up wanting to keep it!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Buy this one with tax and test and run it for the summer, do the EP thing in it then sell it on to someone else for the other festivals.
    Do it right and you could actually make a little or else break even and have a load of fun on the way.
    Who knows you may end up wanting to keep it!

:cool: If you're keeping it you may want to invest in stock wheels. Those look suspiciously teeny. :pac:
    I was messing wouldn't go near an LDV if you paid me. Can't go wrong with the Merc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 detour.camper

Hi robk84

Good to see you are already planning ahead for the EP 2014, The Electric Picnic weekend is the last weekend of the peak season so you will be paying Summer rates, we have 2 berth campervans for hire and the price is €500 for the 4 days.

You can check out the campervans at www.detour.ie and send us an email if you are interested to hello@detour.ie

Cheers
    Tomas
    Detour Campervan Hire
    www.detour.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

During the summer keep an eye on the camper sections of adverts.ie, donedeal, gumtree etc.. There are very often ads from private people looking to rent out campers, I'm sure the prices would be a bit lower. You would of course be taking a risk in booking later and hoping they honour their end of the deal.

Moomat wrote: »
    ....You would of course be taking a risk in booking later and hoping they honour their end of the deal.

...and breaching the insurance terms of letting a private vehicle for hire or reward.
    Nothing to stop you from buying a Mars bar off them for a few hundred quid the day you show up to borrow their camper though. whistling.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

...and breaching the insurance terms of letting a private vehicle for hire or reward.
    Nothing to stop you from buying a Mars bar off them for a few hundred quid the day you show up to borrow their camper though. whistling.gif

You crafty divil! :) No wonder you got to Croatia for the price of a stamp! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 robk84

Thanks for the responses guys. Will consider the options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement