Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenomena Accommodation

Options
  • 06-01-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi.
    All going well I should be starting my M.Sc in UCD this September, and I want to stay at student accommodation to make life a little easier in the undertaking of the masters.

I've read a lot of good things about Glenomena, but the threads seem to be a bit dated, so I was hoping that I could get some advice on what Glenomena is like nowadays. I have no interest in partying and drinking much to be honest just wanna keep my head down for the year, and I know, as this is student accommodation that a fair bit of partying will be going on, so I was wondering which would be the best houses to stay in for for people in my situation, I heard 9 and 10 are supposed to be good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

I lived in Glenomena last year in House 4. I found it relatively quiet, had no problems trying to study and usually there was only a bit of noise from people going out and it usually died down by about 11 o clock anyway. I lived on the third floor, which are apartments 10, 11 and 12 and found them much quieter than friend's apartments that were on the ground floor. I would definitely recommend Glenomena, its worth the extra money over Merville even if it just for the sake of having your own bathroom, if you're going to be sharing with strangers. Roebuck would be a good choice either, its quiet and the bedrooms are a little bit bigger than those in Glenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

DunnyJ92 wrote: »
    Hi.
    All going well I should be starting my M.Sc in UCD this September, and I want to stay at student accommodation to make life a little easier in the undertaking of the masters.

I've read a lot of good things about Glenomena, but the threads seem to be a bit dated, so I was hoping that I could get some advice on what Glenomena is like nowadays. I have no interest in partying and drinking much to be honest just wanna keep my head down for the year, and I know, as this is student accommodation that a fair bit of partying will be going on, so I was wondering which would be the best houses to stay in for for people in my situation, I heard 9 and 10 are supposed to be good.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend staying on Campus.

You do not have the same rights as a tenant as you would if you were renting in a regular house or apartment off campus.

I'm sure there are lots of nice accommodations quite close to UCD

As an example I refer you to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057089488

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DunnyJ92

I lived in Glenomena last year in House 4. I found it relatively quiet, had no problems trying to study and usually there was only a bit of noise from people going out and it usually died down by about 11 o clock anyway. I lived on the third floor, which are apartments 10, 11 and 12 and found them much quieter than friend's apartments that were on the ground floor. I would definitely recommend Glenomena, its worth the extra money over Merville even if it just for the sake of having your own bathroom, if you're going to be sharing with strangers. Roebuck would be a good choice either, its quiet and the bedrooms are a little bit bigger than those in Glenomena.

Thanks, very helpful information !

UCDCritic wrote: »

You do not have the same rights as a tenant as you would if you were renting in a regular house or apartment off campus.

Thanks for posting.

I read through that thread and I dont see much of a problem.
    My girlfriend lived in student accommodation in galway so I have experience with the issues rasied in that thread.
    To be honest I intend on being a complete hermit all year for the M.Sc , all going well, so it would not bother me how strict the rules are, same goes for tennent rights.

My only worry is that I could be living with 5 students who are only interested in the social side of college, and are very loud and messy which, to be honest could be the case for any rental house in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

It really varies from year to year where the majority of partying will take place. For example when I was in First year the Belgrove Residences was crazy! However the year after it was completely dead..

Merville this year seems to be pretty dead with Glenomena being pretty busy.

Roebuck is pretty nice and gets a lot of students who are studying abroad.

All in all living on campus is pretty sweet, dont mind that "you dont have the same rights" stuff.. by living on campus you dont have to worry about anything, 24/7 hot water and electricity, bins, wifi. Plus theres an RA office in each residence in case you do have a problem with people being too noisey at late hours.

It is a bit on the expensive side but you dont have any responsibilities about looking after bills which means you can focus 100% on your studies!

• Advertisement

dont mind that "you dont have the same rights" stuff..

Yeah, because Rights are not very important

Especially when some stranger has a key to your apartment and he walking around with a camera in his hand recording you just after your stepped out of the shower

Yeah never mind all that because you don't have to worry about bills and all that adult stuff

Yeah, because Rights are not very important

Especially when some stranger has a key to your apartment and he walking around with a camera in his hand recording you just after your stepped out of the shower

Yeah never mind all that because you don't have to worry about bills and all that adult stuff

Well im sure thats an exageration, and im not going to be acting the prick so i dont care if im being filmed on the campus. Ive been living in regular housing for three years so im well used to doing "adult stuff" and it will cost 8 grand for the year, so there will be more practise for "adult stuff".
    Also when undertaking a M.Sc, not having to worry about bills and travelling in and out to college will result in extra oppurtunity to focus on your studying for the year, which is point of going to college in the first place.

There has never been any record of an incident like that happening. The RAs rarely actually have the cameras with them so know what you're talking about before you start coming online giving people false information.

No one complains when they lose their student cards and call the RAs in the middle of the night to let them in.

It really varies from year to year where the majority of partying will take place. For example when I was in First year the Belgrove Residences was crazy! However the year after it was completely dead..

Merville this year seems to be pretty dead with Glenomena being pretty busy.

Roebuck is pretty nice and gets a lot of students who are studying abroad.

All in all living on campus is pretty sweet, dont mind that "you dont have the same rights" stuff.. by living on campus you dont have to worry about anything, 24/7 hot water and electricity, bins, wifi. Plus theres an RA office in each residence in case you do have a problem with people being too noisey at late hours.

It is a bit on the expensive side but you dont have any responsibilities about looking after bills which means you can focus 100% on your studies!

Thanks, good to hear about RA offices :)

It's honestly not an exaggeration. You might want to research more into living on UCD campus.

From my own experience, a while back I was at a small party in one of the residences, I was looking down pouring a drink and when I looked up there was a security guard (or whatever they're called) standing in the middle of the room.

He had just let himself in.

Someone was smoking and you are not allowed to smoke in the buildings. He noticed this from standing outside and that's what got his attention.

The point is, he just let himself in without asking permission and to me that's a violation.

While renting in a regular house or apartment the landlord needs to give you 24 hour notice before they can enter your home.

There have been stories about security guards recording in students accommodations.

But that's my own opinion. Both sides has positives and negatives. I'm just bringing this to your attention just so you know.

• Advertisement

There has never been any record of an incident like that happening. The RAs rarely actually have the cameras with them so know what you're talking about before you start coming online giving people false information.

I think it is you who needs to know what you're taking about before start coming online giving people false information.

This is a link to a recent University Observer article which covers issues over student residences right on campus and their MARCH from the SU to the Pulse security offices in Merville.

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph "violate basic tenant rights contained within the Irish constitution"

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2013/11/26/no-confirmation-for-renegotiation-of-licence-to-reside/

Yea it permits them to do so but they rarely do, thats what im trying to tell you but you're completely ignoring it. The RA's are students themselves. They don't just barge in. I'm fairly sure they're told to knock 3 times and if there is no answer they then let themselves in.

Sometimes with cameras but mostly without. But hey, I'd want a camera too if I was going into an apartment. At the end of the day 15 peoples stories vs 1 will win. A camera is there for the protection of the RA the way I see it.. The residents sign a license to reside which states all of this in it so its there own fault for not putting in the effort to find accommodation off campus.

But I'm done with this silly argument.

OP, on campus will be perfect for you. Less than a 5 minute walk to the library/ gym/ most buildings on campus. If all you want to do is put the head down and work you shouldn't have a problem!

All the best!

Yea it permits them to do so but they rarely do, thats what im trying to tell you but you're completely ignoring it.

If they rarely do it then why was there a protest?

The RA's are students themselves. They don't just barge in. I'm fairly sure they're told to knock 3 times and if there is no answer they then let themselves in.

Are you serious?! So if you're in the shower and don't hear them knocking they'll be there to greet you when you step out of the shower. Get a grip.
    Sometimes with cameras but mostly without. But hey, I'd want a camera too if I was going into an apartment. At the end of the day 15 peoples stories vs 1 will win. A camera is there for the protection of the RA the way I see it..

They shouldn't be entering in the first place. Your point is invalid.

The residents sign a license to reside which states all of this in it so its there own fault for not putting in the effort to find accommodation off campus.

The licence is unconstitutional and shouldn't exist in its current form. UCD is not a special place where they can make up their own rules and ignore and violate people's rights. Just because naive young students agree to something that doesn't make it right.
    OP, on campus will be perfect for you. Less than a 5 minute walk to the library/ gym/ most buildings on campus. If all you want to do is put the head down and work you shouldn't have a problem!

Yeah it's perfect if you don't mind your constitutional rights being violated.

As the University Observer article shows the vast majority of people staying on campus have problems staying there.

But as I say this is just my two cents. There are positives and negatives to both sides.

It's better to make an informed decision.

I'm not arsed replying.

OP I live on Res, its grand and handy for studying. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deluded_matt

I disagree. You don't have to deal with landlords and if something is wrong maintenance will fix it.

Make an effort to stay within the rules and you will not have trouble. Which is not to say that the system for fining is bad, but you should not put yourself in such a position.

I disagree. You don't have to deal with landlords

That's a generalization about landlords. Some are bad but most are fine. That last sentence is also a generalization (the one I just wrote). So it doesn't make any sense to make sweeping vague statements.

What is true to say is renting in a regular accommodation you are protected by laws which very much favour the tenant, unlike renting in UCD.
    if something is wrong maintenance will fix it.

Same thing applies with landlords and Letting Agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deluded_matt

That's a generalization about landlords. Some are bad but most are fine. That last sentence is also a generalization (the one I just wrote). So it doesn't make any sense to make sweeping vague statements.

What is true to say is renting in a regular accommodation you are protected by laws which very much favour the tenant, unlike renting in UCD.

Same thing applies with landlords and Letting Agencies.

I agree with you to a point. I did not intend to make it sound as if I said all landlords are bad but you do run the possibility. There is a considerable risk, however with UCD you are guaranteed not to have this issue with maintenance.

The rules in UCD are fine and you know exactly what you are signing up for, it's all there. If you infringe the punishment is severe but just don't infringe and you are fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

OP, just from my experiences with RAs last year, they are not half as bad as they are made out to be. The only incidents I had with RAs was them coming round when we had a house party before going out. They always knocked, never let themselves in without permission. They would usually tell us to either turn it down or head on out, which I thought was fair enough as we were making a lot of noise. I have never seen any of them with cameras. If you were in private accommodation and neighbors complained about the noise you would have the Gardai to deal with. Be fair to them and they'll be fair to you, simple as that.

Advertisement