Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 8 reinstall toshiba laptop URGENT

• 06-01-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I bought a used toshiba 850 windows 8. It looks like the previous owner either swapped out the hard drive or wiped the original one with and windows 8 pro disc without a key.
    Can I get the original windows 8 core OS back onto this? when I try to do a reset it says that I'm missing files which will be on my install media (which I don't have). I'm sure I can torrent something but should there already be a key embedded into the bios?
    I do have another similar laptop belong to a customer that's in for a soldering job, although I'd have to get their microsoft password from them to access their computer and create recovery media

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I used recovery media created on the other toshiba and it worked perfectly. So what happens if someone needs to install windows 8 on a computer without their recovery discs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For windows 7 or 8 you can generally download the ISO from microsoft/digitalriver site and use key on the computer

don't torrent a windows ISO because many have "addons" that include backdoors :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I've all the windows 7 ISO files back from the good old technet subscriber days although there's a lot of updating to do after an install because they're getting on now, I wonder does digital river have the latest updates slipstreamed into their images.
    I'm not too sure if presenting a new hard drive with a windows 8 ISO will work unless the key has been jellybeaned from the original install. I guess at this stage it would be advisable to create recovery media for myself from every laptop that comes through my door.

Advertisement