Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Oral Communication

Options
  • 06-01-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm really interested in doing a retail management or marketing course next year but they have a module for "professional oral communication" ? What does this actually involve as I greatly dislike public speaking and it would really put me off doing the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine it would involve giving presentations and the study of how to address an audience.

I know what you mean about disliking speaking in public, you're not alone (Google some of the statistics about the fear of speaking in public), however pretty much every course in WIT involves some sort of presentation giving, particularly in the later years.

I'm speaking as someone who still does not like having to do it, but what I will say is I'd rather have had some practice doing it in college (as it does get a bit easier each time you do it) as being able to address colleagues or give presentations is a part of most jobs these days especially in the areas you are looking to work in.

All I'll say is don't let it put you off, at most it'll probably be 1 subject for 1 semester and it should put you in good stead if you ever have to speak in public in future. Also I guarantee all your classmates will be as apprehensive as you! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I had this module in my first year of the Bachelor of Business, it's terrifying, beyond terrifying but now I'm a kick ass public speaker.
    Don't let it put you off, if you're as frightened of public speaking as the rest of the world then this class will fix that 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I had this last year in the BA Marketing Course.

To be honest, it's a module there to bump up your marks (Likewise for the written communication module which you will also be doing).

You say you hate public speaking but there will be many in your situation. Aswel as this, there won't be too many people doing either course. For us in Marketing there was only 20 or so in the class and even then, this module had the lowest attendance.

Seriously, don't worry about this module. It probably turned out to be the most fun really. Your main projects will be 1) A team poster presentation 2) A powerpoint presentation by yourself.

You will be doing so much practice throughout the semester for the final projects that it will come naturally to you. The lecturer will help you too, so it's not like you're thrown straight into the deep end.

Advertisement