Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time job while studying to be a Nurse!

Options
  • 06-01-2014 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few queries. I'm planning on returning to uni to study Nursing but would need to work part-time also to help finance things. I'm just curious as to the schedule. I do hear it's a pretty intensive course and spare hours are a hard thing to come by... Would anyone who has experience in this area be able to tell me what hours a typical week might be (lectures and practical training)? Is it reasonable to be planning a part-time job (maybe one day a week and weekend work) into the mix, or is time already at a premium for the course itself? Also, I imagine the schedule must change when considering practical training, and so working part-time would require something offering flexible hours?

Does Nursing as a course revolve more around practical training in a hospital or is there an equal balance between lectures/studying and practical training?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

Ealabhan wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few queries. I'm planning on returning to uni to study Nursing but would need to work part-time also to help finance things. I'm just curious as to the schedule. I do hear it's a pretty intensive course and spare hours are a hard thing to come by... Would anyone who has experience in this area be able to tell me what hours a typical week might be (lectures and practical training)? Is it reasonable to be planning a part-time job (maybe one day a week and weekend work) into the mix, or is time already at a premium for the course itself? Also, I imagine the schedule must change when considering practical training, and so working part-time would require something offering flexible hours?

Does Nursing as a course revolve more around practical training in a hospital or is there an equal balance between lectures/studying and practical training?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is very much appreciated! :)

Hey I posted a rough idea of the nursing timetable for tcd if you want to have a look
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057115123/1/#post88342824
    It's definitely possible to work part time most people do, I do it can be hard but there's usually one day off & weekends each semester it can vary though. There's always demand for nursing students to do care work in nursing homes etc:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ealabhan

Hiya!

Thanks so much for your answer. It's a relief to know I would have some spare hours at least to work with (literally!). Thanks for the link to the other post, it does sound pretty demanding in terms of having to touch base so much, but sure that's to be expected. Happy to know there could be some flexibility though in order to help things flow a little more smoothly financially once I start... :rolleyes:

I have the points and am planning on going to TCD! Very excited about it, it's a total change in direction from what I did in the past in uni!

Might see you floating around the corridors! :D Thanks so much for your help!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

Ealabhan wrote: »
    Hiya!

Thanks so much for your answer. It's a relief to know I would have some spare hours at least to work with (literally!). Thanks for the link to the other post, it does sound pretty demanding in terms of having to touch base so much, but sure that's to be expected. Happy to know there could be some flexibility though in order to help things flow a little more smoothly financially once I start... :rolleyes:

I have the points and am planning on going to TCD! Very excited about it, it's a total change in direction from what I did in the past in uni!

Might see you floating around the corridors! :D Thanks so much for your help!! :)

You're welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'd advise you to sign up to an agency such as Nurse on Call or CPL to work as a care assistant. That way you will use the training you get in first year (basic life support etc) and earn a pretty decent wage whilst gaining experience. When you're on placement you'll have a lot less free time and energy than when you're in lectures, so the 'on call' aspect will really benefit you.

Advertisement