Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think they don't have a clue. There's no chance of it not being released this year and most likely it'll be available in April, May at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

nicebutdim wrote: »
    I moved to 3 recently on a SIM only deal.... I asked about the S5 and they said it wasn't even slated for this year... we could be waiting a while.... or maybe they just haven't been informed.... either way.... :eek:

Well it's most likely being released at the end of April. It's going to be announced at MWC 24 – 27 February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

leemaree wrote: »
    Well it's most likely being released at the end of April. It's going to be announced at MWC 24 – 27 February

End of April?

I'm due an upgrade then!!!

Woo hoo!!!

End of April?

I'm due an upgrade then!!!

Woo hoo!!!

I may b wrong at the end of April. That's what I heard. Hope I'm right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I may b wrong at the end of April. That's what I heard. Hope I'm right :)

End of April/ May, that is going by the release of SIII and S4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It had been rumored for some time that there might be a standard and a premium version of the S5 and that seems to be case.

Worryingly though by this report it would seem to suggest that the better speced model will see a US release rather than European. Although it does state that the benchmarks show the European one outperforming the US one. However, that might be no surprise if the features are pared down in Europe.

Hope that's not going to be the reality of the situation, or else I'll be waiting to take a look at the HTC One (2, M8)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

If I remember correctly last year the quad core version was released in Europe while the octa core was released in the US only.
    Very little difference performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if Samsung chose to release a few different models I'd also take anything published by IBTimes with a grain of salt. Their reporting for the Nexus 5 bordered ridiculous at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

I moved to 3 recently on a SIM only deal.... I asked about the S5 and they said it wasn't even slated for this year... we could be waiting a while.... or maybe they just haven't been informed.... either way.... :eek:
    SuprSi wrote: »
    I think they don't have a clue. There's no chance of it not being released this year and most likely it'll be available in April, May at the latest.

Or there's always the possibility that they lied as they just wanted to get you to switch ASAP and then they can sell you the S5 at a punitive "existing customer" price, rather than the more enticing price they offer switching customers.

Now the above may be overly cynical, I'll grant you, but ultimately their main concern was probably to sign you as a customer now, rather than risking you waiting for an as yet unannounced but virtually guaranteed product release.

Finger print scanner revealed. http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/17/explained-samsungs-implementation-of-the-fingerprint-sensor-on-the-upcoming-galaxy-s5/
    I had a finger printer scanner on the Motorola Atrix 4G a few years ago. They are handy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Saw a tweet from @SamsungMobile earlier on.

It said don't miss unpacked on February 24th.

I guess that's the day it'll be announced :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Saw a tweet from @SamsungMobile earlier on.

It said don't miss unpacked on February 24th.

I guess that's the day it'll be announced :)

Where have u been for the last 2-3 weeks? Haha

Where have u been for the last 2-3 weeks? Haha

I knew it was going to be revealed at MWC and I knew that it runs from 24th to 27th of Feb. But I wasn't sure of an exact date, until I saw that tweet :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I knew it was going to be revealed at MWC and I knew that it runs from 24th to 27th of Feb. But I wasn't sure of an exact date, until I saw that tweet :D

Fair enough....CAN'T WAIT and according to 02 German site, it'll be a few days later after the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Rumours floating around that it could be waterproof and dustproof, like the Z1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

SuprSi wrote: »
    Rumours floating around that it could be waterproof and dustproof, like the Z1.

Dust proof? Heard of waterproof but that would be great!!!

Excited to hear more about this phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

One more sleep. :) Tune in for live feed from 7pm tomorrow.

I also moved to 3 prepay I'm December when my S3 contract finished with eMobile. They wanted me to sign a new contract and get an upgrade, I told them I'm waiting to see the S5. He checked "the system" and said it would be at least November before the S5 is out. Needless to say we agreed to disagree on that and parted ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

J o e wrote: »
    One more sleep. :) Tune in for live feed from 7pm tomorrow.

I also moved to 3 prepay I'm December when my S3 contract finished with eMobile. They wanted me to sign a new contract and get an upgrade, I told them I'm waiting to see the S5. He checked "the system" and said it would be at least November before the S5 is out. Needless to say we agreed to disagree on that and parted ways!

Hah, the lad was taking out his arse. Companies like Apple, Samsung and HTC are incredibly easy to predict for release times.

Early suggestions seem to point to an expected disappointing reaction in general to the s5. This seems really to relate to a general disinterest in incremental updates. It does seem so far that the rumours don't suggest something particularly new or innovative. Hopefully that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Uriel. wrote: »
    Early suggestions seem to point to an expected disappointing reaction in general to the s5. This seems really to relate to a general disinterest in incremental updates. It does seem so far that the rumours don't suggest something particularly new or innovative. Hopefully that's not the case.

Highly unlikely there will be anything innovative for financial reasons, they can just reproduce a similar phone, bump up the specs and it will sell like hot cakes.
    Pointless spending millions on research and design and then having to worry if it will be a success or not.

The big innovation for this phone is going to be the new version of touchwiz which looks to be greatly improved.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely there will be anything innovative for financial reasons, they can just reproduce a similar phone, bump up the specs and it will sell like hot cakes.
    Pointless spending millions on research and design and then having to worry if it will be a success or not.

The big innovation for this phone is going to be the new version of touchwiz which looks to be greatly improved.
    Completely agree.

It's just that I've read a number of articles in the past week that seem to suggest that after S4 criticism (which still sold well), Samsung needed something "edgy" this time, or it might be the first wall the"S" brand hits.

Hope you're right about touchwiz. I'm a nexus junkie, but have skipped the last two iterations as they didn't offer anything particularly exciting. My now 2.5yr old GNex is struggling a bit and upgrade is needed..

S5, HTC M8 or wait for the next Note. Though note for me is just stretching into too big at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Aren't they just hugely paring it back to something that's not too far from stock? Or is that your point?

Any one know what time Samsung event is on at? Or even where I can watch it?

7pm GMT

You can watch it on Youtube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Photos apparently leaked;
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-s5-pictured-before-launch-specs-fingerprint-scanner-confirmed-487535

samsung_galaxy_s5_front_leak_forum_hardware.jpg

samsung_galaxy_s5_fingerprintscanner_leak_forum_hardware.jpg

samsung_galaxy_s5_usb_port_leak_forum_hardware.jpg

Fingers crossed they're not real - that's an ugly device....

Bezel in those pics don't look as thin as those being predicted. Of course predictions/rumours can be very wrong.

Yeah hopefully that's not the device.

J o e wrote: »
    Photos apparently leaked;

Fingers crossed they're not real - that's an ugly device....

Looks plastic. I thought they were going with aluminium. Big mistake if plastic.

Looks plastic. I thought they were going with aluminium. Big mistake if plastic.

I heard 2 devices. 1 in plastic and 1 in aluminium

I heard 2 devices. 1 in plastic and 1 in aluminium

I'd heard that this was largely unlikely. Two devices - one US and one European with different internals but a lot of the well known sources in the past week have been suggesting all plastic with a faux leather backing like note 3

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    I'd heard that this was largely unlikely. Two devices - one US and one European with different internals but a lot of the well known sources in the past week have been suggesting all plastic with a faux leather backing like note 3

I don't usually mind plastic phones but I was looking forward to metal S5.
    HTC gained some ground last year with HTC one and if they bring out another premium phone it will affect Samsung.

Advertisement