Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Spaniard14 wrote: »
    If you want to get quality pictures, you need some space for the different lenses and thats not possible in a thin smartphone.

this is not the case at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Is it the same Youtube channel for the rest of the 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Fairly disappointing, 2800 battery, can't even beat the G2.

I won't be buying anything less than 3500 mah from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Don't think I heard the word Android mentioned once.

In the watch it makes sense but I don't understand the point of a heart rate monitor in a tiny circle under the phone's camera lens. Who's going to be messing around trying to place their finger on a tiny spot on the back of a phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

There is a market there for higher resolution phones. It's not 2k but higher than 1080P.

Google 2k resolution...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

leemaree wrote: »
    Is it the same Youtube channel for the rest of the 3 days?

I think that was a Samsung page so I doubt they will show other companies stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

leemaree wrote: »
    Well, that was disappointing :(

Very.

The water/dust proofing is the really useful thing added imho.

The glam look is BS, as custom covers have always been around for the popular phones not to mention the likes of otterbox style protective cases. Having an extra 20% battery life is nice but not enough to make people go out and buy a new phone. The heart rate sensor is just a gimmick like face unlock was imho.

At this point in time, Samsung really need to be manufacturing a quality premium designed phone like the HTC One and iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Venom wrote: »

At this point in time, Samsung really need to be manufacturing a quality premium designed phone like the HTC One and iphone.

Not really, the s4 sold very well so they ain't going to experiment to much. This phone makes financial sense for that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Venom wrote: »
    Very.

The water/dust proofing is the really useful thing added imho.

Only sort of.

It's IP67 which Wikipedia says is the following.
    6 - Dust tight - No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)
    7 Immersion up to 1 m - Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

If you're in the desert a lot great, but if want to take it snorkeling, or it slips out of your pocket and lands in a puddle only to be found hours later (happened to me :o), then you're out of luck.

It's better than nothing of course, but I'd be happier with the Z2's IP58 rating (dust resistant, waterproof).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Alot of negativity so far in this thread. Ill wait for more reviews before I make up my mind. Ill be upgrading from my GS2 so its a no brainer spec wise. Is the Iphone5 its competition ?? Ill look forward to doing some spec comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Alot of negativity so far in this thread. Ill wait for more reviews before I make up my mind. Ill be upgrading from my GS2 so its a no brainer spec wise. Is the Iphone5 its competition ?? Ill look forward to doing some spec comparisons.

Your dead right, personally i thought it was just meh as i had the S4 and now i have an Nexus 5, but if your upgrading from an S2 this would be a seriously nice upgrade. I was expecting a bit more tbh as i thought the S4 was just a slight evolution on the s3 so i thought this one would be a total redisign, i guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I'd say its competition will be the Sony Z2 or the HTC one (2014).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Anything about the new Gear announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_mwc_2014-review-1055p3.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

It's got a heart rate sensor!!! and a home button :eek:

Very disappointing event from Samsung.

I never have and never will understand the smart watch concept. The Fitness band does look kind of interesting, but I already have a Fitbit Flex that works perfectly in the here and now. The Galaxy 5 is the biggest disappointment of all though. No real boost to the chipset and the only thing that seems to have been added is a fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor, neither of which will interest the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Hmmm looks like I'll be holding onto my One for another while, disappointing stuff from Samsung. Much and all as I loved my S2 and S3 I can't help but feel that they're becoming a little stuck in a rut. I like the option of expandable storage and removable battery but once you get used to the aluminium design of a phone like the HTC One it is hard to go back. (I rarely use covers btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Underwhelming.

...Yet i'm glad that it hasn't undermined my N3 quite as much as i thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Not really, the s4 sold very well so they ain't going to experiment to much. This phone makes financial sense for that company.

Yes they do a €600 phone shouldn't look and feel like crap, I like what what Samsung have done UI wise, but the design just ruins it. They really should have just stuck the faux leather from the note on there.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing event from Samsung.

I never have and never will understand the smart watch concept. The Fitness band does look kind of interesting, but I already have a Fitbit Flex that works perfectly in the here and now. The Galaxy 5 is the biggest disappointment of all though. No real boost to the chipset and the only thing that seems to have been added is a fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor, neither of which will interest the majority of people.

The gear is not a smartwatch and Samsung have never called it that, get a Pebble and you'll understand the concept, its the only one that has been done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Soo no real reason to be moving from my N5.

Not that I would have but had to watch it anyway... Nothing from mwc this year has really grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

What a disappointing, underwhelming safe decision Samsung have made with the S5! I have the S4 and I haven't forgotten getting stung by them last year when they announced the Octa core and Snapdragon 800 models only months after me getting my phone. I was further annoyed by them forcing the Knox app on me whether I liked it or not. There are still rumours of a Prime version of the S5 being released at a later date. Who is going to buy another piece of plastic turd when there might be a metal version on the horizon?! HTC got it right with the One. Why couldn't Samsung have learned from that. They're too greedy and it would've cost them too much and slowed down production to go the metal route. The S5 was meant to be a flagship but they've given it one gig less ram compared to last years Note 3???! The Nexus 5 has the same processor and graphics chip processor. What a let down.

What a disappointing, underwhelming safe decision Samsung have made with the S5! I have the S4 and I haven't forgotten getting stung by them last year when they announced the Octa core and Snapdragon 800 models only months after me getting my phone. I was further annoyed by them forcing the Knox app on me whether I liked it or not. There are still rumours of a Prime version of the S5 being released at a later date. Who is going to buy another piece of plastic turd when there might be a metal version on the horizon?! HTC got it right with the One. Why couldn't Samsung have learned from that. They're too greedy and it would've cost them too much and slowed down production to go the metal route. The S5 was meant to be a flagship but they've given it one gig less ram compared to last years Note 3???! The Nexus 5 has the same processor and graphics chip processor. What a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Philip42 wrote: »

Oh, he mad

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Oh, he mad

Lol

Philip42 wrote: »

S800 GS4 was only for Japan.
    Doesnt need 3GB RAM as there isnt as much multitasking going on compared to the Note 3.
    Qualcomm are late S800 is the fastest thing out there S801 is just overclocked S800.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It seems to be Samsung's 'S4s'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The Z2 might be a worthy contender this year. Only just caught up on the detail of the Sony and it seems very competitive from a hardware standpoint anyway - not sure what the software (skin) on Sony is like.

Will wait and see the reviews of both and see what HTC has to offer (though only expecting an incremental update on that one).

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    The Z2 might be a worthy contender this year. Only just caught up on the detail of the Sony and it seems very competitive from a hardware standpoint anyway - not sure what the software (skin) on Sony is like.

Will wait and see the reviews of both and see what HTC has to offer (though only expecting an incremental update on that one).
    The Sony phone looks a much better prospect alright, much better specs and it actually looks attractive.

Advertisement