Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next Galaxy (S5/F)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

There's a good comparison of the spec sheets on the S5, Z2 and G2 here for anyone that is interested.

It seems that the Z2 wins generally. Looking forward to the first full reviews for both now. It seems that battery life and screen were some of the main drawbacks of the Z1. The Screen got an upgrade this time and it seems also the battery has got an upgrade both in terms of size and software optimisation.

Z2 looks to me like it could outclass the S5 and so could be next phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Uriel. wrote: »
    There's a good comparison of the spec sheets on the S5, Z2 and G2 here for anyone that is interested.

It seems that the Z2 wins generally. Looking forward to the first full reviews for both now. It seems that battery life and screen were some of the main drawbacks of the Z1. The Screen got an upgrade this time and it seems also the battery has got an upgrade both in terms of size and software optimisation.

Z2 looks to me like it could outclass the S5 and so could be next phone :)

I'm in agreement. Tired for Samsung after 4 iterations of the Galaxy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

So who here is going to buy the s5?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Great chance for sony and HTC to steal the galaxy thunder this year. And that gold colour looks like a flippin plaster from the back with that indented cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Nope, I was very tempted by the Z1 when I got the S4 and think the Z2 might win out this time.

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »
    So who here is going to buy the s5?

I won't be, unless full reviews of it and its competitors show a marked departure from what we see at face value.

I will be upgrading before June and at the moment the Z2 is top of my list.
    I will however wait to see what the HTC One M8/2014 brings; additionally, the latest rumours from LG of a shift in their normal release schedule might see me hang on a little bit to see when the G3 might be unveiled and what that might bring with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

More of the same old thing from Samsung, No real innovation and no premium design like the HTC one.

Definitely won't be buying it and will wait for the new HTC One.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Apologies if this has already been posted on here :o

I couldn't find the post :P

Well the Samsung S5 is due out April 11th 2014, in nearly 150 countries

I found some interesting stuff online

Also found an article with a video on on IrishTimes.com >link

I'm due an upgrade in June, so hopefully I'll get to hear what people think about it for a few weeks before then :)

What do you guys think about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I quite literally just came on here to look for an S5 thread.. Was looking for the release date! :)

I'm eligible for upgrade at the mo but think I'll wait for this.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

It doesn't really seem like they've made much improvement over the S4 to be honest. The heart rate monitor and finger print scanner are just gimmicks in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Samsung seem to be going the apple route with very minor changes from the previous years model. The "5 changes customers want" crap was the biggest load of marketing spin I'v heard in quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Ive been eligible for an upgrade for a while. I currently have an iPhone 5 and didn't want to upgrade to the 5S, said I'd wait for the GS5 to blow me away...

Lets just say I think might just hold out for the iPhone 6

I've the S3, and I love it - but I don't know if I want to wait till the S6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

waraf wrote: »
    It doesn't really seem like they've made much improvement over the S4 to be honest. The heart rate monitor and finger print scanner are just gimmicks in my eyes.

Its also water and dust proof. And 16megapixel camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

pippip wrote: »
    Its also water and dust proof. And 16megapixel camera.

It's water and dust resistant not proof.

Big, big difference.

Venom wrote: »
    It's water and dust resistant not proof.

Big, big difference.

No, incorrect, it can survive 30mins in 1metre of water (IP67 waterproofing standard), thats good enough for me

Interesting camera feature -

The Galaxy S5's 16MP camera comes with an LED flash, a new advanced HDR mode and post-shot focusing: it takes two images every time you press the shutter, with the focus trained in different spots: one on the subject and one on the background. This means that, after the shot’s been taken, you can choose a defocussed or sharply focussed background (mostly for aesthetic reasons). But probably the camera’s best new feature is its super-fast autofocus, which Samsung claims is the fastest on any smartphone at up to 0.3 seconds.

http://www.stuff.tv/galaxy-s5/samsung-galaxy-s5/review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

has it got 4k recording?

has it got 4k recording?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Was due an upgrade start of January, was going to hold off for the S5 but instead got swayed by the Note 3, a decision I am very happy with especially now!

So disappointed in the S5, I accept we've reached a mobile technological plateaux at the moment but still very disappointed.

I'll be due another upgrade again next year and will be sticking to the Note range, unless the S6 rumours are enticing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's all very meh, I'm underwhelmed and to be honest from the pics of the HTC M8 it looks like more of the same.

If the Apple rumours are true of differently sized iPhones I'll be going with a mix of a larger one of those and my N5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Threads Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Paybel wrote: »
    Also found an article with a video on on IrishTimes.com >link

That article reads like it was written by someone who's had the concept of a smartphone described to them, but never actually seen one in the flesh.
    The icons looks cleaner too, so there’s been some redesign going on inside Samsung HQ. ...The S5 screen is super AMOLED rather than the qHD that has been seen in other phones unveiled at this year’s Mobile World Congress, but that also means it’s less of a power hog.

Indeed.

Anyway, fairly unimpressed by the S5. Absolutely nothing there to entice S4 owners to upgrade & no hook to reel in S3 owners either. The Z2 looks like a better buy on paper & the HTC one will almost certainly look 'cooler'.

I'm far more excited by the roll out of more mtk6592 based China phones in the coming weeks and months. 90% of the performance of the snapdragon 600 (e.g. S4) for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ION08 wrote: »
    Ive been eligible for an upgrade for a while. I currently have an iPhone 5 and didn't want to upgrade to the 5S, said I'd wait for the GS5 to blow me away...

Lets just say I think might just hold out for the iPhone 6

There is life outside Samsung and Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's all very meh, I'm underwhelmed and to be honest from the pics of the HTC M8 it looks like more of the same.

If the Apple rumours are true of differently sized iPhones I'll be going with a mix of a larger one of those and my N5.

If those renders of the M8 are correct, they've wrecked a great design. Again, if they're correct.

The more I think about the S5, it seems that Samsung are going to be pushing the Note as their flagship offering from now on. Their American advertising is focusing on the Note and the rumours seem to suggest that they will actually be pushing the boundaries with the design.

It's true that phones have reached a plateau though, it'll be more incremental improvements to camera sound etc and marketing ****e that no ones needs like 2K displays.

The more I think about the S5, it seems that Samsung are going to be pushing the Note as their flagship offering from now on. Their American advertising is focusing on the Note and the rumours seem to suggest that they will actually be pushing the boundaries with the design.

Oooh the Note isn't something I've really considered before. So I've done a wee bit of googling! I found an article online comparing the S5 & Note 3. here's the jist:

Source: www.android.gs

Downloads2.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Galaxy Note 3, Big vs Bigger

Design & Build
    Galaxy Note 3 has a faux leather back, which makes it look really good.
    S5 is water and dust resistant, which gives it a decent advantage over its bigger competitor, but it doesn’t look so premium, unfortunately.
    Unfortunately it’s only resistant, not proof

So we will declare the Galaxy Note 3 a winner for the beautiful back, compared to Galaxy S5′s plastic design.

Hardware
    Note 3 comes with a 2.3Ghz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

S5 sports a 2.5Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 801

We expected the S5 to come with 3GB of RAM, just like the Note 3, but it only features 2GB

S5′s LTE and WiFi speeds are faster than the Note 3′s

S5 storage variants are only 16GB and 32GB, while the Note 3 is available with 32GB and 64GB

Battery the S5 sports a 2,800 mAh one, while the Note 3 has 400 more mAh, bringing it to 3,200 mAh

The bigger displays definitely uses more battery (Note 3) , so we have to declare the S5 a winner

Software
    S5 & Note 3 run on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Note 3 lacks some newer TouchWiz features.

S5′s notifications and Settings screens have been redesigned....resemble Tizen more than Android. This isn’t necessarly a good thing, as we prefer stock Android’s look.

Samsung brings it’s smartphones closer to Tizen, distancing itself for Android is really bad, both for customers and the Android ecosystem and it will make us declare the Note 3 a winner

Features
    TouchWiz features are present on both devices, except for the S Pen only on the Note 3, heart rate sensor and fingerprint scanner with the S5.

S5 didn’t come with many new features, Note 3 does have a lot of advantages thanks to the S Pen, document and photo editing apps that work much better with the S Pen.

Note 3 to have an advantage here too, so we are going to declare it a winner

Camera
    Note 3 comes with a 13MP camera, S5 features a 16MP one, both can record 4K videos. S5 supposedly has the fastest shutter speed of all smartphone cameras and it can focus in 0.3 seconds. It also features Selective Focus and Phase Detection Auto Focus.

Both have 2MP frontal cameras.

S5 a winner by far

Now that I've had a little look at it all, I'm still leaning more towards the S5. I would be for personal use and I love that the camera is better on it. Seems to tick more boxes for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Seems I'm in the "meh" boat with a lot of others, was hoping the S5 would be something new and exciting from Samsung but seems more like Microsoft's second iteration curse.

Can't say the M8's design particularly wows me either (seems like far too much wasted space at the bottom of the phone without physical keys). Z2 seems like a better prospect though it too suffers from an overabundance of non-screen space at the bottom (that said the expandable storage is very welcome).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Seems I'm in the "meh" boat with a lot of others, was hoping the S5 would be something new and exciting from Samsung but seems more like Microsoft's second iteration curse.

Can't say the M8's design particularly wows me either (seems like far too much wasted space at the bottom of the phone without physical keys). Z2 seems like a better prospect though it too suffers from an overabundance of non-screen space at the bottom (that said the expandable storage is very welcome).

that would be the main style thing putting me off the z2.
    tbh i'll be getting one of either the z2 or s5 (have had my s2 for three years now and it's getting v laggy and much preferred its squarish corner design to the s3/s4) just have to wait for full reviews and trying them out in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

At the end of the day the phones will all be very similar spec wise although I do like that battery in the z2. Will be interesting to see what the new HTC will be like when it's officially announced hopefully they will stick with last year's design and bump up the specs and camera.

So far though, not really any reason to 'upgrade' to any of these phones, will still wait for the G3 to be released which could possibly be awesome.

• Advertisement

I'm biding my time on this one as well but I did want to upgrade in the first half of the year.

So far two of the "next gen" smart phones have been released. For me the Z2 is top running over the S5. Will now await the next HTC to see but if rumours ring true then I think the Z2 will still be top of my list and I'll go with that.

The only spanner in the works is that the G3 is being rumoured to be released earlier this year, possibly June, if june is confirmed I might hang on for that because LG are really hounding down Samsung in the Android market and it would seem that the g3 will push the boat out further this year building on the success of the G2

Advertisement