Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Consumer products that you are glad you missed

• 06-01-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I missed out on, CD and DVD. Went straight from vinyl and VHS to digital.
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

I am a complete technophile.

Even had a Mini Disc Walkman.

Yup, I was the guy that bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sega Dreamcast.
    Held out for the Ps2 instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

how can you be glad to miss something you never had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Specialun wrote: »
    how can you be glad to miss something you never had

Pretty easily..

How about a kick to the face? I'd be glad to miss out on that. Would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sega Dreamcast.

the Dreamcast was a great console though. Was ahead of its time too playing quake 3 on it over a phone line was mental , and it was years before online gaming on a console took off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Smart watches will be my thing. Stupid idea, I have a smartphone that's more capable... and I hate watches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

3D TV!
    I did get several mini disc players for the family but they were cheap way back when Courts closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Our Year wrote: »
    Pretty easily..

How about a kick to the face? I'd be glad to miss out on that. Would you?

***REPORTED***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I only recently started playing Vinyl ! :D It's coming back in a big way actually so hope you didn't sell your Vinyl OP it never seems to lose it's value like CD's do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Apple products. I'm not saying that cos of anything I have against them, I just don't see any benefit of them over other similar or possibly even better products available at a lower price- but if you've always had Apple you'll probably want to stay with them- particularly cos of things like iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

Never owned a VCR either, didn't have one as a kid as they were mad expensive and we didn't have the dosh, now we have 3 DVD players.

Toasted sandwich machine. Never got around to getting one, no cash for it when we were kids. Not mad keen on getting one as I tend to burn the skin off me mouth with them anyway.

Video games/Playstation/PS 3 etc etc. Nope, never had one, played on one a couple of times. (I'm in my early 40's BTW) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

krudler wrote: »
    the Dreamcast was a great console though. Was ahead of its time too playing quake 3 on it over a phone line was mental , and it was years before online gaming on a console took off.

three more posts dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Apple products, have a real dislike for iTunes and how tied into apple products people get.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

Never owned a VCR either, didn't have one as a kid as they were mad expensive and we didn't have the dosh, now we have 3 DVD players.

Toasted sandwich machine. Never got around to getting one, no cash for it when we were kids. Not mad keen on getting one as I tend to burn the skin off me mouth with them anyway.

Video games/Playstation/PS 3 etc etc. Nope, never had one, played on one a couple of times. (I'm in my early 40's BTW) :-)

How anyone can live without a dishwasher is beyond me. That's wasted time you'll never get back. It's like cutting the grass with a scythe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    How anyone can live without a dishwasher is beyond me. That's wasted time you'll never get back. It's like cutting the grass with a scythe

Have to say I'd be with Kev, find washing dishes by hand strangely relaxing

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

A well cared for scythe can be very efficient in cutting grass that has got too long for a gentle going over with the lawnmower.

I moved into a new apartment once, was the first tenant to live there and we were there for 5 years, when we moved out the dishwasher still had the instruction manual and a box of tablets in it, never used once we used to just do it by hand. The landlord asked us if we replaced it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Daqster wrote: »

Ran my minidisc last night, still sounded great. Just a flop from Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had one too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Analogue mobile phones. 088.
    Look it up kids!

• Advertisement

We use one now and unloading it is a pain in the hoop, I'd rather just wash stuff by hand it only takes a few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

6541 wrote: »
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.

Were you in a coma ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

The Filofax rage and all it's accessories

(showing my age here!)

JOSman wrote: »
    Ran my minidisc last night, still sounded great. Just a flop from Sony.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    I had one too :pac:

I remember HMV on Henry St had a Mini Disc "section".

It was three little small shelves behind the calendars.

I loved it though, especially in the car as it meant no rewinding or fast forwarding.

Played the **** out of George Michael's Listen Without Pr.. I mean, Rage Against The Machine's debut album.

calanus wrote: »
    A well cared for scythe can be very efficient in cutting grass that has got too long for a gentle going over with the lawnmower.

Strimmer, quicker and more efficient! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tamagotchis and power ranger figurines. Even at my impressionable age, I thought they were the most ridiculous things ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Furbys, god I hate those things, even when they first came out I hated them, i was the only kid in my class who hadn't got one at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Minidisks were great little piracy machines, could record from any source without losing any quality hardly, musicians liked them aswell for the same reason, good recorders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You didn't really miss out on those, they're still the best way to take a photo. Smartphone cameras while improving are still pretty terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Blue ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Still have a VHS.Only keep it cos there's a clock on the front.

893bet wrote: »
    Blue ray

There's nothing worse than spending hundreds on a full HDTV only to watch DVDs on it. It completely defeats the purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

shenmue games 1 and 2. I'm a PC gamer. But even today on youtube the final good ending sequence to Shenmue 2 looks breathtaking. :cool: Also glad I've missed out on Mario and that fcuking Sonic. No I never bought a game for these franchises either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Never had a Minidisc but did own an MP3 CD walkman. Also had a DVD-RAM recorder which never took off in popularity.

Missed out on Blu-Ray/HD - can't say I'm too unhappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

a mini disc would have been the one that im glad passed me by,i only ever knew one person that bought one and even she reckoned it was junk after a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I like it tbh. I like the almost hot water, sponge full of water and soap, the bubbles, just getting a dirty glass, giving it a good clean out with a J-Cloth and holding a sparkling clean glass up to the window is satisfying to me sometimes.

I'll admit there's days I hate facing into a pile of dishes but there's only two of us and I'm happy enough at the moment. I'm not ruling out getting one in the future.
    Strimmer, quicker and more efficient! :D

Sorry again Redzer, but I disagree strongly. I was taught how to use a scythe when I was a kid and when properly used it's way, way faster than a strimmer. We've a petrol powered strimmer that we share with two neighbours, I rarely use it as the scythe is quicker. If you've the time, on a nice summers day, the sound of the scythe swishing through grass and listening to the insects and birds beats the racket off the strimmer any day. Strimmer is handy for a couple of awkward jobs but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

For what it's worth both CDs and DVDs are digital, in the case of DVDs there's a clue in the name.

I missed VHS though did have to suffer cassette tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sega Dreamcast.

Great console. Most original games ever. Such a shame it ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Minidics were the business. We sold loads in my old job when they were out. Loads of journalists used them because they were great for sound recording and so easy to edit on. I recorded a mates gig on one years ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why are you glad you missed out on digital cameras? They're still way better than smartphones. Film is a pile of crap *

*awaits camera hipsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I miss out on nearly everything. Bar my smartphone (which someone else researched and bought), and this wind up laptop, the most technically advanced thing in the house is the dishwasher (it has 8 different programs AND a timer). Actually, it might have a bigger chip inside it than the laptop has.

I say 'miss out', but I am not into gadgets, so I really don't feel I'm missing anything.

Minidics were the business. We sold loads in my old job when they were out.

Where did you work? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I miss out on most consumer gadgety things. I don't buy anything for myself that isn't makeup shoes or dresses. I've owned two phones since 2008, my laptop is 4 and a half years old and I haven't had a charger for it since last year. No iPod/mp3, no tablet, no tv in my room, no game consoles. I miss out on most social media too. I have Facebook but no Instagram and don't know how to work twitter.

Nice things are wasted on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Overly priced iproducts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

I missed out on getting on the property ladder just before the recession hit. I feel sorry for anybody starting out who did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I missed out on getting on the property ladder just before the recession hit. I feel sorry for anybody starting out who did.

I like you missed this, but it is one not to be proud of as debt forgiveness is on the way. So you could have had many houses and now they are just going to wipe the slate clean !!! Not a good one to have missed out on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Still use mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

I like you missed this, but it is one not to be proud of as debt forgiveness is on the way. So you could have had many houses and now they are just going to wipe the slate clean !!! Not a good one to have missed out on !

They've been sayin that for ages but no sign of it yet. Still, the last couples of years would of put years on your life and for what? A stupid house?

Love having a dishwasher...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I like doing the dishes by hand. I've developed the perfect system for doing the big wash-ups using the least amount of water (anything with potato in it gets washed last in the old water and then re-washed in fresh water to get those grainy bits off.

I like doing the washing so much that I get annoyed when people offer to help with the drying up. Feck off, you're ruining my system!

• Advertisement
Advertisement