Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series of Stargazing LIVE

Options
  • 06-01-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up. Noticed that a new series begins on Tuesday 7th January at 8.00pm on BBC2. On for 3 nights in a row.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Awesome! I watch this with my kids and they love it.
    Is that just three episodes in all? Or just for the next while?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its just 3 nights, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday this week.

Its moving back to be more like the 1st series 2 years ago - more stargazing, less cosmology, so Im really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Kersh wrote: »
    Its just 3 nights, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday this week.

Its moving back to be more like the 1st series 2 years ago - more stargazing, less cosmology, so Im really looking forward to it.

Looking forward to it too Kersh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Won't be much stargazing of the weather keeps at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

"20 minutes to go" bump ;)

Dara mentioned Chris Hadfield will be on episode 2, not sure if it will be a live interview or pre-recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lucky bu****s thats some view of the aurora in norway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It's funky that we have no science programming of our own but Dara and Liz front this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

WHat was that huge light moving across the sky as they were looking at the stars, 20 plus people looking at sky and no one questions WTFWT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

lucky bu****s thats some view of the aurora in norway

We can see it here in the northwest just as good when the KP levels are at storm level.Seen them 2 years ago up near Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Love this show, know relatively little on astronomy but still fascinating. The enthusiasm of the presenters is brilliant and great to have D O'Brian on board

• Advertisement

WHat was that huge light moving across the sky as they were looking at the stars, 20 plus people looking at sky and no one questions WTFWT ?
    Looked (and sounded) like a jet aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

We can see it here in the northwest just as good when the KP levels are at storm level.Seen them 2 years ago up near Malin Head.

all the photos i've seen have been a bit of green light in the north been out a few times (i live in the northwest) but never got a break in the weather. a guard mate of mine manages to see them all the time coming back off shifts !

now i do remember seeing the aurora curtains on 29 oct 2003 i was standing out for ages watching

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looked (and sounded) like a jet aircraft.
    It was early in show, I saw aircraft is starry sky, this was like a sky but moving, disappeared behind presenter who was star gazing

It was early in show, I saw aircraft is starry sky, this was like a sky but moving, disappeared behind presenter who was star gazing
    How many minutes in roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Strong geomagnetic storming expected tomorrow, good timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Anyone any ideas on where to see aurora in Scotland? Would make a good random weekend to ferry it over and find a bit of wild countryside for stargazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

How many minutes in roughly?

The unidentified pulsating object seen behind the presenter....

visible at approx. 46sec in this clip.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDuUgMOEHE

"20 minutes to go" bump ;)

Dara mentioned Chris Hadfield will be on episode 2, not sure if it will be a live interview or pre-recorded.

Yeah , he will be there ...Live :cool:

Stargate wrote: »
    Yeah , he will be there ...Live :cool:

Well he's signing books in the RDS on Saturday so he may be on tonight live.

• Advertisement

maguffin wrote: »

Probably a plane.

Looks like a good chance of AB tonight and tomorrow. Would love to take a trip north for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Again, I only realised this was on when it was over.
    Catching up now :) Love this show. O'Briain and Cox are great together

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Looks like a plane. The pulsating looks exactly like navigation lights, it's going about the right speed, would explain why none of the star gazers care about it, and also planes are really common.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Enjoyed the chat they had with Walter Cunningham. As a small point the footage of the Apollo 7 launch was not correct. That was not Apollo 7 but looked like an earlier unmanned Saturn test launch. Even Cunningham looked confused and commented that he had never seen the launch from that angle before.
    However that aside great show looking forward to tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Will the 3 shows be made available to download or stream in Ireland?

This kind of thing is great for schools!!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Its called an Airplane/Jetliner. The Camera used to filmed the show are not focused at infinity causing the light from airplane to be blowing up a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Will the 3 shows be made available to download or stream in Ireland?

This kind of thing is great for schools!!

Don't think you can download them from the BBC here :(
    I agree they would be great for schools. I should still have all three on SKY plus and could burn them to a DVD if needed. Send me a pm if you like.

Beeker wrote: »
    Enjoyed the chat they had with Walter Cunningham. As a small point the footage of the Apollo 7 launch was not correct. That was not Apollo 7 but looked like an earlier unmanned Saturn test launch. Even Cunningham looked confused and commented that he had never seen the launch from that angle before.
    However that aside great show looking forward to tonight. :)

Ah Beeker :)

I thought Walter was an excellent guest !!

Spoke very well and , and even though he is from way back when , he seems well up to date with everything .... i was very impressed with him .
    Enjoyed the show :cool:

Hope alls well with you Sir ?

Stargate

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    Ah Beeker :)

I thought Walter was an excellent guest !!

Spoke very well and , and even though he is from way back when , he seems well up to date with everything .... i was very impressed with him .
    Enjoyed the show :cool:

Hope alls well with you Sir ?

Stargate

Doing well my Friend. Hope all is well with you in the Republic of Cork! :)

Advertisement