Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a bean subscription

• 06-01-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

For the last couple of years I have had a monthly subscription from hasbean which I have been very happy with but their shipping has increased quite a bit since my last subscription and I'd be keen to try somewhere else anyway and it would be nice to support an Irish roaster too if the quality is there..

I have on occasion topped up my stock from badger and dodo which was good too, anyone got some other recommendations?

My stock ran out over the crimbo and I had to pick up a bag of beans in Dunnes which really highlighted the quality difference between mass produced and roasted to order...

Cheers,

LTD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Badger and Dodo offer an annual sub (12 x 250g) for €108.20, which works out at around €9 per bag, delivered by courier. For that price, you can probably order on-demand, when you need it. For example, you can get 227g of freshly roasted coffee beans from Coffee Mojo (shipped via an post) for slightly less than the monthly price from B&D, and about the same from Hedgehog Coffee. I've just ordered from both, just to see what delivery/turn-around/quality is like. Silverskin Coffee Roasters is around €6 to €12 for 227-250g delivered.

Coffee Angel delivery is €5 for 250g (so €12.50 for 250g delivered), so you'd want to be ordering in larger quantities. Ponaire.ie is €5 too. Not sure if there's a thread for Irish roasters who sell small portions, (McCabes for example only sell 3x900g bags), but it would be a useful resource. I believe Cloud Picker will have an online shop from February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://bailiescoffee.com/categories/306/bailies-bean-club.aspx
    Bailies ship from Northern Ireland at GBP 63 for a 12 week subscription.
    Works well for me, ships Wednesday and arrives Friday usually.

KC, please keep us posted on how you get on with those newer roasters.
    Be interested to hear how you find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

+1 on Bailies, CoffeeMojo and Badger & Dodo as local roasters.

Gran Hermano - Have Bailies got their act together on sending freshly roasted beans? Between not get freshly roasted beans and getting the same bags of beans on multiple occasions I haven't gone back to them. I really like their roast profiles though so it would be good to know if the service had improved. As Coffeeangel sell Bailies I tend to just buy direct from them instead as I can see the roast date before I hand over my cash :)

Another local roaster worth considering is that 3FE have also just started their own roastery - sub is €100 for 12 mths. http://www.3fe.com/shop/merchandise/3fe-coffee-subscription/
    I signed up just before Xmas on the back of seeing the thread from murphyebass. Can't wait to see what the guys do ... I expect profiles and beans to be very similar to Hasbean.

Silverskin I keep meaning to give a shot - I just never seem to be by that part of town.

Krusty_Clown - How did you hear of these Hedgehog guys? Interesting to see a new roaster on these lands - looks like they are based in somewhere in Fingal based on their local delivery option ...

donnacha wrote: »
    Krusty_Clown - How did you hear of these Hedgehog guys? Interesting to see a new roaster on these lands - looks like they are based in somewhere in Fingal based on their local delivery option ...
    By searching the threads on this forum. I was looking for a decaf whole bean retailer, and a thread led me to the Hedgehog coffee site. Not a great website. Hope the beans will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Had coffee from these and very happy Badger and Dodo, Mc Cabes, Bailies will probably take a trip up soon to Belfast to pick up some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

B + D and coffeemojo are my go to sites, always good.
    Might try some of the other sites mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Hi,

For the last couple of years I have had a monthly subscription from hasbean which I have been very happy with but their shipping has increased quite a bit since my last subscription

Just a tip... a lot of companies ship free to the UK. So if you set up a parcel motel account and get their Northern Ireland address, you can get your deliveries shipped to your local parcel motel locker for just €3.50

Use it a lot for Amazon where the vast majority of items are free to the UK.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Just a tip... a lot of companies ship free to the UK. So if you set up a parcel motel account and get their Northern Ireland address, you can get your deliveries shipped to your local parcel motel locker for just €3.50

Use it a lot for Amazon where the vast majority of items are free to the UK.

I always use Parcel Motel whenever ordering green beans from HasBean as significant savings can be made.

Just can't see any saving in using PM for a monthly coffee sub as per the OPs request - 12 x €3.50 is going to add €42 per annum to postage costs.

It's hard to look past Bailies Bean Club, in terms of value (as long as the delivery and product quality is there) as it works out at approximately €7 per 250g (based on their current 10% discount and free postage). Still not as cheap as buying in bricks and mortar, but for sheer convenience, there doesn't seem to be a better subscription offer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Thanks for all the replies,

Think I might try a bag from coffee mojo just for a change and I live in Co.Wicklow too.... :)

But as far as subscription is concerned I'm leaning towards Badger and Dodo for a change.

3FE is essentially hasbean as Steve Leighton owns half the business...
    I was wondering if they might start distributing over here via 3fe..

LTD

• Advertisement

Think I might try a bag from coffee mojo just for a change and I live in Co.Wicklow too.... :)
    McCabes are also in Wicklow (Newtonwmountkennedy). They only sell large quantities online, but some of the cafes they supply may sell beans in smaller quantities. There's a list here. Also worth checking out Avoca cafe, if it's close by, as I know they regularly sell freshly roasted beans (may also be from McCabes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Also worth checking out Avoca cafe, if it's close by, as I know they regularly sell freshly roasted beans (may also be from McCabes).

I did actually notice that they sell an 'Avoca Blend' but it's from Hasbean, even still in the bright red bag!

LTD

KC, please keep us posted on how you get on with those newer roasters.
    Be interested to hear how you find them.
    I received both the Hedgehog (decaf and Espresso roast) and Coffee Mojo beans last night. Have only gotten around to trying the Hedgehog beans so far (caffeine and decaf). Initial impressions:

I'll start by saying that Hedgehog are fantastic to deal with (despite the rather uninspiring website). Less of a company feel, and more of an artisan/personal type of transaction. Really great customer service (I reckon they put on a decaf roast specifically for my order). In both cases (Hegdehog and Coffee Mojo) the beans I got were roasted the previous day (roasted on the 8th, received on the 9th), so probably too early to be using them, but I was excited.

For both the caf and decaf, it's a very, very dark roast, with a significant amount of oil on the beans, which greatly slowed down the grinding process (Hario hand grinder). There is so much flavour in these roasted beans that I'm going to have to adapt the grind on the grinder to a coarser grind (for my Aeropress) than I was using for my most recent beans (Cloud picker) as the flavours are just too full-on, so will have a better idea when I grind them a little coarser. The decaf is an unusual flavour. Instantly recognizable as not a caffeine bean, but a really nice cup nonetheless. Will experiment further over the coming days, but so far, a very solid option if you prefer a very dark roast.

I received both the Hedgehog (decaf and Espresso roast) and Coffee Mojo beans last night. Have only gotten around to trying the Hedgehog beans so far (caffeine and decaf). Initial impressions:

I'll start by saying that Hedgehog are fantastic to deal with (despite the rather uninspiring website). Less of a company feel, and more of an artisan/personal type of transaction. Really great customer service (I reckon they put on a decaf roast specifically for my order). In both cases (Hegdehog and Coffee Mojo) the beans I got were roasted the previous day (roasted on the 8th, received on the 9th), so probably too early to be using them, but I was excited.

For both the caf and decaf, it's a very, very dark roast, with a significant amount of oil on the beans, which greatly slowed down the grinding process (Hario hand grinder). There is so much flavour in these roasted beans that I'm going to have to adapt the grind on the grinder to a coarser grind (for my Aeropress) than I was using for my most recent beans (Cloud picker) as the flavours are just too full-on, so will have a better idea when I grind them a little coarser. The decaf is an unusual flavour. Instantly recognizable as not a caffeine bean, but a really nice cup nonetheless. Will experiment further over the coming days, but so far, a very solid option if you prefer a very dark roast.

You might find this an interesting read on roasting decafs:
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/roasting-fundamentals-decafs

Just to follow-up on the other roast (specifically a CoffeeMojo single origin Nicaraguan bean): I'll be the first to admit, I'm a bit of a simpleton, when it comes to coffee. I know what I like, but my needs are simple: something rich, full-bodied and not too acidic. Otherwise, I largely don't notice significant variations in cups of coffee, once they meet the above criteria. And that's why I was blown away when I have the first cup of the Nicaraguan coffee. Perhaps all of the cups of coffee I've had in my life have been blends, but I really had no idea that a coffee could taste so uniquely different to every other cup of coffee I have enjoyed.

Firstly, the colour/smell: Where the hedgehog beans are a dark shiny mahogany and have an oily outer shell, the CoffeeMojo beans are much lighter in colour. When you smell the Hedgehog beans, you get that rich smell that you immediately associate with the waft that hits you as you step into a good coffee shop. The smell from the Nicaraguan beans is entirely different. You might even struggle to identify them as coffee beans, so prevalent is the fruitiness.

Grinding: I'm not sure of the reason, but these beans are incredibly difficult to grind in my Hario hand grinder. The hedgehog beans I bought are so strong in flavour that I've had to dial down the grinder (notch 5 for reference), but at any setting they slip through the grinder as if coated in butter. With these beans, on the other hand, I'm tempted to dial down the grinder because they're so damn hard to grind (like grinding rocks!). But the flavour is subtle, so I'm sticking with the second notch, as the effort is worthwhile.

Flavour: The flavour of the coffee is incredibly delicate, and the fruity flavour is immediately noticeable, both in the smell and the taste. It doesn't seem to give me that same much-needed morning caffeine hit I get from the stronger Hedgehog roast, but is a coffee to savour, rather than satisfy an immediate chemical imbalance.

So, two sets of beans completely in contrast with one another, but both very much deserving of a spot on my coffee shelf. One to fulfil my regular coffee smack in the face, and the other, a subtle fruity flavour that makes me want to be a better coffee drinker (and also makes me regret getting a hand grinder!). I'm now looking forward to trying different single origin coffee beans to sample other coffee bean varieties, but still glad to have the more traditional roast to fall back on.

Brewing method: aeropress with Able Brewing steel filter.

Grinding: I'm not sure of the reason, but these beans are incredibly difficult to grind in my Hario hand grinder. The hedgehog beans I bought are so strong in flavour that I've had to dial down the grinder (notch 5 for reference), but at any setting they slip through the grinder as if coated in butter. With these beans, on the other hand, I'm tempted to dial down the grinder because they're so damn hard to grind (like grinding rocks!). But the flavour is subtle, so I'm sticking with the second notch, as the effort is worthwhile.

A lighter roast profile will always result in a more dense bean - and some of the hand grinders will struggle.

The variance in single origin beans is one of things that I absolutely love about my Hasbean subscription. They also do a mean blend now and then also - their Xmas Espresso blend this year was really special.

If you have time or are anywhere near 3FE on Lwr Grand Canal St you should check out the Ethiopian Natural Guji they have on at the moment - I'd class it as a funky coffee - really is something different to try (though not to everyones tastes). Had it at lunchtime today as a set - so served 3 ways - as espresso, out of an aeropress, and served as a cappucino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Aren't oily beans considered over roasted or is it just a matter of taste?

JPA wrote: »
    Aren't oily beans considered over roasted or is it just a matter of taste?

A bit of both. Some would say if you can taste the roast and not the bean it's not good. You see it plenty with cheaper coffees and coffee shop chains. You really don't want to ruin a good single origin by over roasting it. Some people like dark French style roasts.

Donnacha, I got a Bailies order today (ordered Monday afternoon) was roasted exactly one week ago. Not an issue for me as will use within a week.

Bailies weekly espresso subscription update
    Roasted Monday
    Shipped Wednesday - Belfast
    Arrived today (Friday) - South Dublin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So I got the calulator and currency ocnverter out today to compare various subscription options that I konw of:

James Gourmet: £90 for 12 months (250g), this works out at £7.50 per bag or approx. €9.10

They do mention on the site that is for UK only and to contact them for further afield prices so it may work out even more expensive.

3FE: €100 for 12 x 250g = 8.33/bag

Square mile Espresso sub 6 months x 500g = £15.83 per bag, which works out as £7.91 per 250g and about €9.59

They also do a Filter sub but that doesn't interest me so I didn't price that one.

Bailes: £70 for 12 X 250g = £5.83 or about €7

Badger and Dodo: €108.20 for 12 x 250 g = €9.01

So essentially Bailies is a good bit cheaper than the rest.

I love square mile and their coffees and it has the added benefit of being exclusively espresso coffees but hard to justifiy the additional cost.

I guess I'll sign up to Bailies. I have ordered some of their coffees to see what they are like but assumming all is OK I'll go with their sub too.

• Advertisement

If 3fe did an espresso only sub I'd sign up. Bailies is fine for the price. Tends to arrive a few days 'older/post roast' than the others but perfectly usable and I like their roast profiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

Regarding the pricing - Badger and Dodo does a 1kg monthly sub for €270, which works out at €22.50 per kg, or around €5.60 per 250g. Much better value than going the aforementioned 250g route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

If 3fe did an espresso only sub I'd sign up. Bailies is fine for the price. Tends to arrive a few days 'older/post roast' than the others but perfectly usable and I like their roast profiles.

Forgive my ignorance here but I presumed ALL of 3fe's beans are suitable for espresso. What is an espresso blend these days anyway? darker roast?

Good read here on the subject:
    http://www.heartroasters.com/blogs/heart-roasters-blog/11990945-r-i-p-soe

I'm tempted to get a Square Mile subscription to go along with my 3fe one. I would go hasbeen but there'd be little point seeing as Steve owns (some of) and is teaching 3fe how to roast like them. Badger & Dodo have failed to impress me in the 4 different bags I've tried, perhaps their blends aren't to my taste or maybe I'm developing a keen taste for single origin beans that are more on the fruity, bright acidity side of things. Could be the bags I tried were too chocolatey or roasted a little toasty. Still learning here so could be way off.

James_R wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get a Square Mile subscription to go along with my 3fe one. I would go hasbeen but there'd be little point seeing as Steve owns (some of) and is teaching 3fe how to roast like them. Badger & Dodo have failed to impress me in the 4 different bags I've tried, perhaps their blends aren't to my taste or maybe I'm developing a keen taste for single origin beans that are more on the fruity, bright acidity side of things. Could be the bags I tried were too chocolatey or roasted a little toasty. Still learning here so could be way off.

If you have the budget then I can honestly say that the Squaremile Espresso sub is amazing.

donnacha wrote: »
    If you have the budget then I can honestly say that the Squaremile Espresso sub is amazing.

Just signed up for the 6 month espresso subscription. Including my 3fe sub, that'll be 750g of coffee for me to get through each month - I better up my intake!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Starting to see how the Bailies sub is so cheap.

First one due to be posted on Wednesday (19th) Get an email to say it is despatched late on Thursday (not sure if they were late sending it or late sendingf the email).

Anyway Friday comes and goes with no coffee, little enough coffee for the weekend.

Monday comesa nd goes with no coffee, completely out of coffee at this stage.

Today coffee finally arrives, Fairtrade Espresso, dated 7/02.

I love the note on the pack Roasted on 07.02.14. Best enjoyed 2 Weeks from Roast.

Not really possible when I only get it on the 25th.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I love the note on the pack Roasted on 07.02.14. Best enjoyed 2 Weeks from Roast.

That's a bit crap. How is it?

My first Square Mile sub arrived yesterday after running out of coffee on Sunday, was so chuffed seeing the postman walking down the driveway with the whitebox in his hand. I've had three espressos from it so far and am experimenting with down dosing to 16g, so far so damn good!:D

Starting to see how the Bailies sub is so cheap.

First one due to be posted on Wednesday (19th) Get an email to say it is despatched late on Thursday (not sure if they were late sending it or late sendingf the email).

Anyway Friday comes and goes with no coffee, little enough coffee for the weekend.

Monday comesa nd goes with no coffee, completely out of coffee at this stage.

Today coffee finally arrives, Fairtrade Espresso, dated 7/02.

If you've signed up to a sub then you definitely need to bang them off an email and explain this is not what you were expecting.

• Advertisement

Adrian522, send them an mail and keep us updated.
    As you can see from my earlier posts this is not the norm nor what I'd call acceptable.

Thanks lads. The thing is this has happened me before and I posted about it (in the roaster alternatives thread), at that time I sent an email and they sent a fresh bag for free.

This time I fired off an email and got an apology in return. I understand that mistakes can happen but really it seems to happen too much to be coincidence.

Hi Adrian, I started my subscription with them in January and so far (two deliveries) beans have been freshly roasted (1-2 elapsed days) and of a really high standard. Under the same circumstances, I would be looking for a solution/redress (beyond an apology), as you are paying for a premium product and are not receiving what you are paying for. Did you go for an espresso or single estate subscription?

I did previously order their Cafetiere starter pack and one of the delivered coffees was the fair-trade espresso (roasted some weeks previous), which I thought was fair enough, as it is a discounted product, but if I received a 'beyond its best' product as part of a premium subscription, I would seek a replacement.

It's the Espresso sub, I just don't understand how they have so much old coffee laying around, why not just roast when orders come in.

Also don't know why they would send you espresso beans as part of a Cafetiere starter pack?

Adrian 522, how was the latest sub?
    I got a delivery from them this morn, roasted 26/2.

I just received a free bag this morning as an apology for the other one, wasn't expecting that!

• Advertisement

Adrian 522, how was the latest sub?
    I got a delivery from them this morn, roasted 26/2.

Not too bad at all, They really need to get a bit of consistency though. Happens once you can accept it, but if it keeps happening you have to ask questions, they have at least done their best to make it right though!

Not too bad at all, They really need to get a bit of consistency though. Happens once you can accept it, but if it keeps happening you have to ask questions, they have at least done their best to make it right though!

+1 on the dependability

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just started a Bailies sub. 6 week £40, whole bean (grinder incoming).
    €8 for 250grs. Not the cheapest.

Hario arrived this morning. Beans posted today from Bailies, should start the grind on Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can anyone reccommend a coffee subscription that deliver beans ground for filter coffee?

It will be a present for my Dad who doesn't have a grinder but enjoys coffee.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Can anyone reccommend a coffee subscription that deliver beans ground for filter coffee?

It will be a present for my Dad who doesn't have a grinder but enjoys coffee.

Thanks

Most of the listed/recommended roasters will also do preground.

Wow, just ground some beans from my first Bailies sub., Rawandan Gashonga, and as described on the side of the pack, "grapefruit citrus etc.".
    And it is.............unusual taste and not mad about it but there you go........luck of the pot. :)
    As mentioned in another post, manage to drink it black with about a half spoon of sugar. Packed in the milk. Taste the coffee much better.

P1020900_zpsa13076cd.jpg

Advertisement