Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Yak Pale Ale

Options
  • 06-01-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi All,

I use to drink Fat Yak when I lived in Melbourne, loved it. Now that I'm back in Ireland I'm looking to source some but I havn't came across any reputable websites. Does anybody have any similar Ale recommendations that can be found in the Dublin area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I've never had that pale ale myself, but there are many great Irish pale ales out there, there's bound to be at least one that does the job.

My recommendations would be as follows:

Metalman pale ale (only available on draft)
    O'Haras pale ale
    Galway Hooker
    Dungarvan's Helvick Gold
    Porterhouse Hophead

If you want something a little less hoppy, you could try:
    Trouble Brewings Deception
    Donegal Blonde
    O'Haras Curim

You should be able to get most of these in a Superquinn (6 for 5 at the mo) or any good off licence.

Alternatively, pop in to a craft beer bar and get tasting until you find what you like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

slayerking wrote: »
    I've never had that pale ale myself, but there are many great Irish pale ales out there, there's bound to be at least one that does the job.

My recommendations would be as follows:

Metalman pale ale (only available on draft)
    O'Haras pale ale
    Galway Hooker
    Dungarvan's Helvick Gold
    Porterhouse Hophead

If you want something a little less hoppy, you could try:
    Trouble Brewings Deception
    Donegal Blonde
    O'Haras Curim

You should be able to get most of these in a Superquinn (6 for 5 at the mo) or any good off licence.

Alternatively, pop in to a craft beer bar and get tasting until you find what you like!!

Thanks for those suggestions. I like the sound of that Superquinn 6 for 5. I think it will be a case of sampling a few different ones over the next couple of weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Fat Yak is a pretty light and clean Pale Ale so the less hoppy suggestions Slayerking made would probably be closest.

It's got an IBU of 25 so if any of those bottles have IBU rating printed on them might help get close.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

jackbhoy wrote: »
    It's got an IBU of 25 so if any of those bottles have IBU rating printed on them might help get close.

I don't think any Irish beers list their IBUs, afaik, which is a shame.

Galway Hooker would be a good place to start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

irish_goat wrote: »
    I don't think any Irish beers list their IBUs, afaik, which is a shame.

Galway Hooker would be a good place to start anyway.

Yeah, I live in Melbourne myself and local bar has IBU's over every tap, very handy. Even handier when buying bottles as you can't ask barman for taste before buying :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement