Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks Dundalk

Options
  • 06-01-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Just a query more than anything but why if the Coffee Room (which is down in the north link business park) serve Starbucks coffee don't they advertise the fact? I mean inside they have some, although somewhat limited Starbucks branded goods (travel cups etc) and the coffee is served in Starbucks cups, yet outside there is no mention whatsoever of they fact they sell Starbucks at all? Wouldn't it be a major selling point? And if not why would the likes of Starbucks franchise itself out without any advertisement whatsoever? Is it dodgy or legit I guess is what I'm asking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Just a query more than anything but why if the Coffee Room (which is down in the north link business park) serve Starbucks coffee don't they advertise the fact? I mean inside they have some, although somewhat limited Starbucks branded goods (travel cups etc) and the coffee is served in Starbucks cups, yet outside there is no mention whatsoever of they fact they sell Starbucks at all? Wouldn't it be a major selling point? And if not why would the likes of Starbucks franchise itself out without any advertisement whatsoever? Is it dodgy or legit I guess is what I'm asking.

This crowd seem to be running it.

https://www.facebook.com/GFDundalk

https://www.facebook.com/TheCoffeeRoomHome

And thats all i know about it.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

If my cafe had to serve Starbucks coffee, I'd keep quiet about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

There is a Starbucks shop in the PJ Carrol's builiding on DKIT's campus. Not the location you would expect but it serves students..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

There are no official starbucks in Dundalk. Neither cafe that is selling starbucks is an official starbucks. They would appear to be avoiding paying the franchise fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    If my cafe had to serve Starbucks coffee, I'd keep quiet about it too.

Preferable to Costa burnt tar Imo but each to their own

• Advertisement

This crowd seem to be running it.

https://www.facebook.com/GFDundalk

https://www.facebook.com/TheCoffeeRoomHome

And thats all i know about it.

:confused:[/quote

Now that u mention it I do remember reading something bout this. Didn't realise it was that particular premises. Wasn't there an issue over something? But I think it was fire and safety issues rather than what I'm querying. Perhaps it is legit so! .....,.. and just as someone else said them avoiding the franchise fee. Although is that in itself even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Starbucks in DkIT is cheaper than regular prices too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Starbucks in DkIT is cheaper than regular prices too.

Sure the students need al,l their money they can get for Ridleys and silence every Mon and Thurs night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like Dundalk is getting an official Starbucks according to below. I wonder will this be located in the Marshes or elsewhere?

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1391006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ongarboy wrote: »
    Looks like Dundalk is getting an official Starbucks according to below. I wonder will this be located in the Marshes or elsewhere?

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1391006

http://talkofthetown.ie/2014/09/04/starbucks-now-recruiting-for-new-dundalk-store/
    Starbucks have started to recruit for their new store in Dundalk.

Talk of the Town revealed exclusively last month that the coffee chain was set to open its doors in the Marshes Shopping Centre, with the former Heaven boutique believed to be its likely destination.

Now an advert has been posted in the window of the Starbucks store in the Quays Shopping Centre in Newry, encouraging people to apply for the store manager, shift supervisors and barista positions.

The poster indicates that Starbucks will open its doors either later this month or early next month.

All applications can be sent to the Newry store.

To date Starbucks has only been available to buy locally in The Coffee Room at the Northlink Retail Park on the Coes Road and at an outlet in Dundalk IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Apparently The Marshes which I personally think is a joke. I don't go to The Marshes. I can't stand the place. I like Starbucks. Why not take over a central building in the town and deck it out. I'd happily retire with a book over the weekend into a nice quiet spot or with the laptop midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

MugMugs wrote: »
    Apparently The Marshes which I personally think is a joke. I don't go to The Marshes. I can't stand the place. I like Starbucks. Why not take over a central building in the town and deck it out. I'd happily retire with a book over the weekend into a nice quiet spot or with the laptop midweek.

All about the footfall for them. They'd be cutting their own throats by taking a Clanbrassil/Park Street location. Although no doubt they would have much cheaper rent on the street than the shopping centre, it's all about the incoming dollars :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a small unit and the last thing they want is people sitting over a book or laptop for an hour. They'll want turnover that the likes of a shopping centre brings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

These lads cater to all types of Customer. Believe me. The book reading hour killer is as welcome as the quick Expresso

+1 on the location point! I personally think both subway and the bagel bar are wasted in their current location. Much more conveniently accessed if they in main town centre. Not helped by the idiot who designed layout of the marshes and location of the food court. And don't get me started on the the placing of the main toilets!!!!! But I guess that's a whole other thread!!!!!

On the topic at hand.... glad for an albeit badly located starbucks!!! Sick of the sight of all the ' Costa friggin fortunes' popping up all over the town/outskirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

+1 on the location point! I personally think both subway and the bagel bar are wasted in their current location. Much more conveniently accessed if they in main town centre. Not helped by the idiot who designed layout of the marshes and location of the food court. And don't get me started on the the placing of the main toilets!!!!! But I guess that's a whole other thread!!!!!

On the topic at hand.... glad for an albeit badly located starbucks!!! Sick of the sight of all the ' Costa friggin fortunes' popping up all over the town/outskirts!

i dont agree with you re the food court in the marshes , we think its great having kfc,subway,bagel and burger king alltogether and its easy to watch the kids if you are queueing.

Totally agree with you about the toilets though and Costas fecking prices !
    (i always have to q all the same )

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Completely agree about the location.If something is good enough,people will stay in town for it.Be nice to see it going into the Dunnes unit in Park St. That part of town badly needs a lift. Personally,i like the independent coffee houses like 23 seats,Panama Cafe and the Foodhouse.I'd rather give my trade to locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

We could do with an insomnia coffee shop in town. Costa and starbucks are way over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

M.A.G wrote: »
    Be nice to see it going into the Dunnes unit in Park St. That part of town badly needs a lift.

Jaysis that'd be some size Starbucks!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Opened yesterday in the Marshes according to Starbucks Ireland FB page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I hope this means that I can buy a cup of coffee without queueing. Having a coffee is supposed to be relaxing thing, otherwise why do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Personally,i like the independent coffee houses like 23 seats,Panama Cafe and the Foodhouse.I'd rather give my trade to locals.

Would love a Ziferblat, loved popping in in London and loved the concept. Here's a link about it. Has its own little library too and it never works out too expensive (in London terms anyhow) even if ye get lost in you thoughts or book.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jan/08/pay-per-minute-cafe-ziferblat-london-russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I hope this means that I can buy a cup of coffee without queueing. Having a coffee is supposed to be relaxing thing, otherwise why do it.

The q was outside the door today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

blingrhino wrote: »
    The q was outside the door today :(

Shop they have chosen is quite small and dark. I mean it would be cool as a nighttime coffee place that maybe did a bit of music but after checking it out, walked back up to Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rockstar_91

Was in this morning while the car was getting fixed. Coffee was grand but nothing special. I'd have to agree with JohnDaniels...quite dark and very small. But hey they're still going to make a boatload of cash off all those who are slaves to the brand. If I'm in town I much rather Costa or somewhere like 23 seats. For a relaxing coffee and a read of the paper theres a few nice places down in Blackrock that I'd much rather for peace and quiet of an afternoon

Was in this morning while the car was getting fixed. Coffee was grand but nothing special. I'd have to agree with JohnDaniels...quite dark and very small. But hey they're still going to make a boatload of cash off all those who are slaves to the brand. If I'm in town I much rather Costa or somewhere like 23 seats. For a relaxing coffee and a read of the paper theres a few nice places down in Blackrock that I'd much rather for peace and quiet of an afternoon

It was only because I was already in the shopping centre I went to Costa but if going out of my way to get coffee in town I'd usually head to the place on the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Completely agree about the location.If something is good enough,people will stay in town for it.Be nice to see it going into the Dunnes unit in Park St. That part of town badly needs a lift. Personally,i like the independent coffee houses like 23 seats,Panama Cafe and the Foodhouse.I'd rather give my trade to locals.

dont forget urbano 21 on part st...and black and white on the coes road.. very nice

Currently sitting in the coffee room just outside town. Have to say for a quiet coffee during the week it's great. Free wifi, huge big open plan room with lovely big comfortable couches, nice music playing and best of all only another couple of people in the whole place. Coffee is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

mada999 wrote: »
    dont forget urbano 21 on part st...and black and white on the coes road.. very nice

Where is Urbano 21 and where is Part St???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Currently sitting in the coffee room just outside town. Have to say for a quiet coffee during the week it's great. Free wifi, huge big open plan room with lovely big comfortable couches, nice music playing and best of all only another couple of people in the whole place. Coffee is good too.

The coffee room is where exactly?

Advertisement