Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Seafront Flooded

• 06-01-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭

No thread? Pretty major event I would have thought, water and stones still pouring over the walls at 15:30 this afternoon.

ReZpy4w.jpg?1

0aSi89p.jpg?1

wknu53m.jpg?1

Y7ABnne.jpg?1

JR3ifCC.jpg?1

I heard the worst gust of wind Ive ever heard in my life at about 5 am this morning, could hear the rafters over my head screeching, more to come aswell according to the Weather forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Crazy photos, especially the stones up on the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wow! Comes as a complete surprise to me ... I didn't hear anything like that up here (near Ardmore Studios) and I haven't been down there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I hear this weather is supposed to continue during the week. I should of known that the peaceful weather we got through the end of the year would have some sort of catch to it. Hopefully the seafront doesn't get worse. My thoughts go out to people living on the Strand Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kicking myself that I only had a camera phone on me, I went up Bray Head from the Southern Cross side and didn't know what I was looking at for a second when I looked down, it looked like a total disaster zone and nobody mentioned it on the radio or anything, didnt capture any views from the head or how massive the waves were before my battery went:

jLRTVXn.jpg?1

lJHg131.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

None of these images are opening on my phone

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

All good in Chrome/IE and FF, no clue sorry, heres an Imgur album of them:

http://imgur.com/a/1Rz6K

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Woah! Thanks for sharing. Was that the area up by the amusements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

That photo with the stones on the path is crazy, looks like the whole beach has been shifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Super photos and thank you for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Wow..what a clean up .great to see the "flood defence" (snicker) workin so well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Maudi wrote: »
    Wow..what a clean up .great to see the "flood defence" (snicker) workin so well..

Did you ever think that the flooding my have been worse without it?(snigger).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did you ever think that the flooding my have been worse without it?(snigger).

Worse? Like. have you seen the flooding?
    How much more "worse"would you like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well, years ago stormy weather would cause regular flooding along the whole seafront which is not the case this time and it could also have been deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well, years ago stormy weather would cause regular flooding along the whole seafront which is not the case this time and it could also have been deeper.

Agree 100%.

I've lived on Bray Seafront for more than 30 years and the seafront protection works have not only greatly reduced the regularity and severity of flooding events (anyone else remember seeing kayakers paddling about on the road beside the Aquarium?) , they've also had the minor but very nice side effect of providing year-round protection from salt damage to our garden. Plants we could never have grown before now thrive because the salt from autumn and winter gales doesn't travels nearly as far up from the beach.

I will say that the status of the defences need to be reviewed - this winter's stoms have caused the beach to change shape very dramatically so there may well be work to be done to repair the changes.

Edit: This is where the sea used to hit every winter at the north end:

xmxaC6Ql.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

These waves were caused by a massive swell from the south which is very unusual.

For the last number of years the stones and defence system have protected the seafront.

If it hadn't been there, the power of the waves could have eroded away the promenade - just see the photos of Lahinch, Tramore etc etc, and the sea would have caused much more damage.

The council were sandbagging the gates of the private properties up the south end of the beach at lunch today, wonder if they're expecting more flooding. They were sealing loads of cars in aswell.

Seems very unlikely that there will be more flooding, it's almost high water already and it's nowhere near coming over the top. Plus the high tide has dropped back to 4.1 metres, compared to 4.6 later last week, and 4.3 yesterday.

That's good news! What's the state of the defences, i.e. the big bank of pebbles? It was looking pretty bad even before the recent storms with a steep drop from the promenade level down to the beach where it had been more gradual before.

The middle section (at the breakwater) is probably the worst affected; the beach has been eaten away right up to the prom. There used to be a good 15-20 foot level area before it dropped down steeply to the lower beach level - that whole upper area is pretty much gone at the moment.

The North end is not as bad - the overall shape of the place has changed a good bit but there is still a decent area of higher beach between us and the sea.

Edit: there are a couple of JCBs at work right now on the area at the middle breakwater.

Edit2: Have a picture of the prom this morning :D

hMflvHq.jpg

Time to invest in companies selling pebbles methinks :)

• Advertisement

This is what the north end of the seafront was like at high water yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1B-KzSe_dY&feature=youtu.be

That's not even a particularly big wave, just one I happened to catch. The really big ones came all the way across the gravel and over the low wall into the car-park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

B0jangles wrote: »
    This is what the north end of the seafront was like at high water yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1B-KzSe_dY&feature=youtu.be

That's not even a particularly big wave, just one I happened to catch. The really big ones came all the way across the gravel and over the low wall into the car-park.

That's nothing as big as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQsD3c9j-dA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIQsD3c9j-dA&app=desktop

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Jesus Christ that's monster!

Seems very unlikely that there will be more flooding, it's almost high water already and it's nowhere near coming over the top. Plus the high tide has dropped back to 4.1 metres, compared to 4.6 later last week, and 4.3 yesterday.
    Thats what I thought but they're there with a truck today building big sandbag walls across the front gates of those brightly coloured houses you can see in my video on the previous page, no clue why.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Fantastic photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The middle section (at the breakwater) is probably the worst affected; the beach has been eaten away right up to the prom. There used to be a good 15-20 foot level area before it dropped down steeply to the lower beach level - that whole upper area is pretty much gone at the moment.

The North end is not as bad - the overall shape of the place has changed a good bit but there is still a decent area of higher beach between us and the sea.

Edit: there are a couple of JCBs at work right now on the area at the middle breakwater.

Edit2: Have a picture of the prom this morning :D

hMflvHq.jpg

Got to love the way Bray UDC look after the wonderful Victorian seating. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Got to love the way Bray UDC look after the wonderful Victorian seating. :rolleyes:

I think it gets painted once a year once winter is over, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I was hoping to go to the trad session in the Hibernian Hotel tonite, then again it is up a bit of a hill from the seafront

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Some of the seat backs seem to have kept their paint better than others for some reason.

Actually what bugs me is the gaps where some seat backs are missing. It shouldn't be too difficult to take one off, make a mould and cast a few replacements. It would make a nice project for a metalwork class at a school or college somewhere. And while they're at it they could do the same thing and replace the broken torch / light holders on either side of the gaps in the wall where the paths lead out over the grass too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

zoobizoo wrote: »

Well, from the picture I'm not sure how much of the cast iron seating backing is in place - perhaps a resident of Bray can help - but in the good old days there was a comfy timber seat running the full length of the seating. The awful light standards are completely out of keeping with the original ambience - not to mention the Normandy gun emplacements - and perhaps it would best if the sea took out the whole prom some night.

Advertisement