Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling miserable in the UK

• 06-01-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Starting to not want to be here. Anyone else feeling the same. Just had a mammoth first day with loads of meetings and deadlines. Arrrggg!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

First week is always overwhelming, and it is a shock to the system. I found up to February half term to be the toughest.

The admin side can be very daunting, but once you get a routine going it really does help. If you can show that you are ticking the required boxes so to speak, you will be under less scrutiny, and so you can have a bit more autonomy in your classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks for that.

I'm a bit overwhelmed all the time. There's just so much to get my head around.

Must get a routine going and set aside time for specific tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I really don't like working or living here. The hardest term is over and the rest will go quickly. There is only 6 weeks now between all the breaks. We're also expecting Ofsted this half term is everyone is really wired and work load is reaching rediculous levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

I really don't like working or living here. The hardest term is over and the rest will go quickly. There is only 6 weeks now between all the breaks. We're also expecting Ofsted this half term is everyone is really wired and work load is reaching rediculous levels.

Hey where ru teaching and living? Have u any support in ur school or from an agency?

• Site Banned Posts: 19 All ceminists are funts

I think it's a disgrace that you're informed of an Ofsted inspection beforehand.

It gives lousy schools the opportunity to put on a show for the inspectors before resuming as normal.

All inspections should be completely spontaneous.

• Advertisement

Schools are told 48 hours before an inspection.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 All ceminists are funts

Schools are told 48 hours before an inspection.

There should be no notice whatsoever!

Forewarning schools allows them time to fudge the reality of their uselessness.

I hope you agree?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There should be no notice whatsoever!

Forewarning schools allows them time to fudge the reality of their uselessness.

I hope you agree?

Don't agree a bit. Not with the standards that the likes of OFSTED demand - much different in Ireland where teachers are not held to such high standards as their UK counterparts.

24 hours notice is the norm, very little fudging you can do given that the data is there, the GCSE results are published online, the parents can give their opinion through different methods. You will probably be teaching different classes, not too much coaching you could do with students. Inspectors aren't idiots, they check books, question the kids, question TA's and support staff. Because of the notice, there is a very high expectation with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

First two weeks back are always rubbish, trying to get back into routine - whereabouts are you based Heydeldel?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

Definitely know that feeling!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MissSilly

I have interviews lined up in the UK but I really dont think I want to teach there. Im completing my Dip in Business, Accounting and ICT at the moment. The agencies I have spoke to all seem to be really keen but are they like that for everyone? Where are ye teaching? Is the money worth it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

are you in London try a smaller city Portsmouth is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

MissSilly wrote: »
    I have interviews lined up in the UK but I really dont think I want to teach there. Im completing my Dip in Business, Accounting and ICT at the moment. The agencies I have spoke to all seem to be really keen but are they like that for everyone? Where are ye teaching? Is the money worth it?

What agency are you with? The money is muck, but it's more than you would get at home on social welfare. The work is very tough indeed, and yes the agencies are really keen because the schools pay them to find people from Ireland for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crazykidd

Hi,
    Ive been working in england since september. I will be walking out of my job next week. I officially resigned early November and due to missing a resignation deadline (yes a deadline to resign) I was told I was contractually obliged to work until the Easter break. That is a whole 5 months notice!! I can't actually bare the thought of going into school. The system totally contradicts everything I learned during my training in Ireland. Uk = more work, deadlines, stress, less pay, less autonomy, less holidays. Ireland/Middle East = good pay, more holidays, more autonomy, more respect (pupils and peers), no observations, etc. I am glad to be leaving. My life has been consumed by the workload and it is no wonder why agencies are hired to trick us paddies into thinking it is a great career choice. Rant over.

crazykidd wrote: »
    Hi,
    Ive been working in england since september. I will be walking out of my job next week. I officially resigned early November and due to missing a resignation deadline (yes a deadline to resign) I was told I was contractually obliged to work until the Easter break. That is a whole 5 months notice!! I can't actually bare the thought of going into school. The system totally contradicts everything I learned during my training in Ireland. Uk = more work, deadlines, stress, less pay, less autonomy, less holidays. Ireland/Middle East = good pay, more holidays, more autonomy, more respect (pupils and peers), no observations, etc. I am glad to be leaving. My life has been consumed by the workload and it is no wonder why agencies are hired to trick us paddies into thinking it is a great career choice. Rant over.

I don't blame you in the slightest. If it wasn't for the stupid amount of paperwork I'd actually be really happy here. I can deal with long hours and low pay, but the f*******n data drives me crazy and it just results in hours of marking and admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

We even have this thing called pupil progress meeting next week. We have to have a meeting with the head teacher explaining why some kids haven't progressed during the SATs at Christmas. I've never heard such madness!

I am not being smart here, but what's the problem? If you can justify why there has been no progress made, and have evidence of feedback supplied to the pupil to act on, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sack Kay Burley

<mod delete>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Edit: Removal of quoted deleted post

Your anecdotal evidence isn't sufficient to generalise teaching in Ireland as a 'cushy number'.

I don't think anyone suggested teaching in Ireland is easy. But the work life balance is greater and there is certainly less pressure on paper work. Things in London and probably the majority of England have reached a point where 50% of teachers leave within five years of starting because of the pressures of the job. I have no idea what the percentage is for Ireland but I would guess less than 5%.

I don't think anyone suggested teaching in Ireland is easy. But the work life balance is greater and there is certainly less pressure on paper work. Things in London and probably the majority of England have reached a point where 50% of teachers leave within five years of starting because of the pressures of the job. I have no idea what the percentage is for Ireland but I would guess less than 5%.

Yeah the 50% statistic is pretty startling isn't it? Couple the paperwork with the pressure to hit targets and get A's and the thought of going in each Monday morning becomes unbearable. I love teaching, I really do but I don't feel like a teacher anymore, now that my job is solely about getting as many A's as possible so I can tick all the required boxes and help the school dress up their GCSE results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I started this thread to check in and see if I was the only one miserable in the UK - clearly not. I've since come home. Personally, I was getting way too stressed out over there which was not good for students or myself. I think I was depressed to be honest.

I felt like a robot there, delivering schemes of work I hated and had no input into. I had an interview here ( Dublin) last week and when I asked if there were detailed schemes of work to follow the Head of English looked at me in amazement. He said ' No, I' d never dictate how another teacher should teach.' Meaning 'you're the professional, I trust you to teach the topic how you want to.'

I fully admire anyone who is sticking out the work over there - you've got grit and determination! If you can grit your teeth and have a goal to keep you motivated then good for you. I just couldn't keep myself motivated - the kids deserved a teacher who wanted to be there.

I don't regret leaving. I did what was best for me.

I hope you all fully enjoy your Mid - term!!!

I've taught PE in my school, and since Christmas been teaching maths, applied for a permanent job last Tuesday, interview on Friday and I got it. The school is fabulous - lot of pressure and work since we are outstanding, but a real positive atmosphere around it.

The first school I was in made me nearly leave the profession, so the moral of the story really is don't be coloured by one school, do what is right for you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think I could have written this original post many times myself over the year. I suppose we should have realised that the large number of jobs here isn't because it's such a great job! I've never been paid for so little hours but worked so many in all my life.

The guardian has a great teacher blog called the secret teacher. I'd definitely recommend checking it out

I read that secrete teacher blog and can relate to a lot of it, as I'm sure many others can too. I think I've finally come to a conclusion as to what I'll do. As much as I'd loke to not fly back to London in the next few days I have to. I'll stay until the end of the year to finish my NQT year, then return to Ireland and hopefully get subbing in Dublin, possibly do a MA too. I also need to sort my Irish out which I think will be tricky.

I read that secrete teacher blog and can relate to a lot of it, as I'm sure many others can too. I think I've finally come to a conclusion as to what I'll do. As much as I'd loke to not fly back to London in the next few days I have to. I'll stay until the end of the year to finish my NQT year, then return to Ireland and hopefully get subbing in Dublin, possibly do a MA too. I also need to sort my Irish out which I think will be tricky.

I'm thinking of staying, purely due to the lack of jobs available at home. I reckon it would be much easier after having already done a year, taught the lessons, ticked the boxes all before. I don't blame you for wanting to leave, I'm counting down the days until July already :)

Afroshack wrote: »
    I'm thinking of staying, purely due to the lack of jobs available at home. I reckon it would be much easier after having already done a year, taught the lessons, ticked the boxes all before. I don't blame you for wanting to leave, I'm counting down the days until July already :)

It gets easier, and the availability of different schools means that if you are unhappy in one, you can move from one to another very easily.

I seriously considered getting out of teaching after my previous experience, but the school I'm in now I'm loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm like that, counting down the days. Only 5 weeks to Easter! I'm definitely out of this school next September, but whether I move back into what I originally trained as or stay in education I dunno. I just can't see my life being like this for the next 40 years! Especially since in my original field there are so many jobs (especially here), with great pay and a lovely work-life balance which I don't have right now. The tiny amount I'm able to save doesn't bother me now but if I want to be starting a family in the next few years, well I'd probably be better off on benefits back home!

I've worked in 3 other countries before I came here in my what I originally trained as but my god, this is the toughest it's ever been

I think the only thing that's keeping me here is that I can't afford to leave

Advertisement