Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Again this is pure guesswork. The PPV market in Ireland and the UK is tiny - certainly outside of the big PPVs. Sky barely use the PPV model any more because Europeans don't go in for it. Having wrestling shows on Box Office was never Sky's idea.

The big TV deal has more to do with Sky protecting as much of their programming as possible in view of the challenge from BT Sports. WWE isn't a big ratings winner for Sky but it does make up a significant chunk of their TV hours.

You guys might be right. Lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I can't see WWE launching it in UK & Ireland without the PPV's and Raw/Smackdown delayed coverage.

They will have delayed coverage of Raw & Smackdown in the states despite big deals with USA Network so I don't see why they'd be able to coax the same thing from Sky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can't see WWE launching it in UK & Ireland without the PPV's and Raw/Smackdown delayed coverage.

They will have delayed coverage of Raw & Smackdown in the states despite big deals with USA Network so I don't see why they'd be able to coax the same thing from Sky.

Why would sky pay big money for exclusive coverage of PPVs and Raws and all that if their viewers can watch it for cheaper on the Network?

PPV distributors in the states are considering dropping WWE for this reason.

Also if Sky don't matter then why isn't the US netflix the same as the UK?

Licencing and exclusivity is the reason why they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tbh I'd only be interested in the old stuff anyway so if up to date Raws, Smackdowns and PPV's aren't on it I'd still subscribe, watch what I wanted then cancel the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

All Netflix regions are different. The US one has stuff not on the UK one for licensing reasons and vice versa. Without knowing the terms of the Sky deal it is impossible to know what the deal will be. It is possible that you're right but it's possible you're wrong and I'd be guessing that you're wrong. Let's wait and see.

Why would the US networks pay big money for exclusive coverage of WWE TV if their viewers can watch it for cheaper on the Network?

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    money for exclusive coverage of WWE TV if their viewers can watch it for cheaper on the Network?

This is the reason I think we'll have the same footage as the US.

WWE Network is different to Netflix.

Netflix are a distributer, like Sky or HBO.

WWE own ALL of their own coverage and pimp it out to various distributors above.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Beefy78 wrote: »
    All Netflix regions are different. The US one has stuff not on the UK one for licensing reasons and vice versa. Without knowing the terms of the Sky deal it is impossible to know what the deal will be. It is possible that you're right but it's possible you're wrong and I'd be guessing that you're wrong. Let's wait and see.

Why would the US networks pay big money for exclusive coverage of WWE TV if their viewers can watch it for cheaper on the Network?

I agree with you, currently it's all guess work, we both have an equal chance of being wrong, or we both may end up being wrong and the Network might never launch here at all ;)

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose :)

This is the reason I think we'll have the same footage as the US.

WWE Network is different to Netflix.

Netflix are a distributer, like Sky or HBO.

WWE own ALL of their own coverage and pimp it out to various distributors above.

If Sky have sign exclusive rights for the UK market would the network go against that or are there different rights as it's being shown through a different medium?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Sky learned one lesson from Netflix and Lovefilm it is when buying rights making sure you buy the online streaming rights at the same time. So you don't have competition.

As we are all just guessing I am guessing too that they have bought rights to the PPV's, Delayed Raws and Smackdowns maybe non exclusive rights.

Back catalogue, No the WWE would want them for any sort of Network they would be starting here.

Since it will be anywhere up to another year before the Network opens here there still may more negotiations between the WWE and it's exclusive rights holder in the UK & Ireland which Sky paid for on how they will deal with this.

Also Sky could be the only advertising on the Network paying for the the servers over here promoting SKY Box office PPV's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Loughc wrote: »
    Why would sky pay big money for exclusive coverage of PPVs and Raws and all that if their viewers can watch it for cheaper on the Network?

PPV distributors in the states are considering dropping WWE for this reason.

Also if Sky don't matter then why isn't the US netflix the same as the UK?

Licencing and exclusivity is the reason why they aren't.

The money Sky makes off WWE PPV's would be tiny in comparison to how much money they make elsewhere.Sky aren't paying big money for exclusivity either,they're paying to fill up 15+ hours a week (repeats etc) of their programming schedule with convenient, ready made content that requires no production or editing on their part.

WWE will still be signing a monster TV contract with NBC in America despite the Network launch for the reasons listed above.

• Advertisement

The money Sky makes off WWE PPV's would be tiny in comparison to how much money they make elsewhere.Sky aren't paying big money for exclusivity either,they're paying to fill up 15+ hours a week (repeats etc) of their programming schedule with convenient, ready made content that requires no production or editing on their part.

That makes sense, the ready made content and 15+ week content is a big factor for sure. Some excellent points really well made!

WWE knew the network was coming to the UK before they signed the deal with Sky.

I highly doubt they would have given Sky exclusive rights to the footage. This will hinder the network's worldwide reach as more TV companies will make similar demands.

Either way, once it launches here I imagine we can sign up, then connect to a USA VPN similar to netflix and access to the PPV's will be like a dream.

WWE knew the network was coming to the UK before they signed the deal with Sky.

I highly doubt they would have given Sky exclusive rights to the footage. This will hinder the network's worldwide reach as more TV companies will make similar demands.

Either way, once it launches here I imagine we can sign up, then connect to a USA VPN similar to netflix and access to the PPV's will be like a dream.

I imagine WWE's longterm vision is to have one worldwide network, accessible anywhere on a number of devices.

The only thing I can see differing in the UK version is the shows air-times and the pre/post shows for Raws and Smackdowns are shown to correspond to the UK airings.

WWE have taken the brave move to give huge PPV companies like DirecTV the middle finger, they shouldn't have any hesitation doing the same to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Might be a bit of a stupid question but for a WWE from a business sense which would be more desirable in the short term and the long term? Big deals like the one with Sky making them a packet or having WWE exclusively on the Network and cutting out the middle man (if it could be called that)?

I think the long term deals with TV companies gives the WWE financial security if by chance the Network is a failure. They won't have put all their eggs in one basket.

In 5-10 years they'll want the Network to be the only place to watch WWE. No middle man, and they should have the bargaining power then for some of the big satellite and cable companies to pick up the channel.

They'll likely have between 3-5 million subscribers by then and can boast a big game when negotiating.

WWE NETWORK ANNOUNCES PROGRAMMING LINEUP

STAMFORD, Conn., February 19, 2014 – WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, has unveiled its programming lineup, which is highlighted by WrestleMania® 30 on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET live from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

In addition, for the first time ever, the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET on WWE Network. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita. A one-hour special will also air on USA Network on Monday, April 7, immediately following Monday Night Raw®.

WWE Network will officially launch on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET and fans will instantly have access to live programming and the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library upon signing up exclusively at WWE.com.

WWE Network will be available through the WWE App on TV via connected devices including Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3, Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

The programming line-up on WWE Network includes:

WrestleMania 30

WWE’s pop-culture extravaganza, WrestleMania 30, will air live on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET from New Orleans. More than 70,000 fans from all 50 states and more than 30 countries are expected to converge on the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with millions more watching around the world. Current WWE Superstars will be joined by a host of WWE Legends for a celebration 30 years in the making.

WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

For the first time ever, the 2014 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on WWE Network on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET from the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita.

Live Monday Night Raw Pre-Show and WWE Raw Backstage Pass

A live, 30-minute RawPre-Show will air each week and premieres on Monday, February 24 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE Raw Backstage Pass will air live each week immediately following Monday Night Raw, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Monday, February 24 at 11:05 pm ET.

Friday Night SmackDown® Pre-Show and WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass

A 30-minute pre-show for SmackDown will air each week and premieres on Friday, February 28 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass will air each week immediately following SmackDown, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Friday, February 28 at 10 pm ET.

WrestleMania® Rewind

WrestleMania® Rewind will provide fans with a comprehensive look back at the most groundbreaking matches and dramatic moments in WrestleMania history. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 9 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET.

WWE Countdown™

A one-hour, groundbreaking, interactive, countdown series that will put the power squarely in viewers’ hands by giving the audience the chance to discuss and rank WWE’s most spectacular Superstars, unexpected moments, best catch phrases and more through digital polling and social media interaction. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 10 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 10 am ET.

WWE Legends’ House™

WWE’s greatest Legends reunite for a new title – only this time, they’re competing outside of the ring. Imagine a beautiful house in the suburbs – perfectly furnished, with gorgeous landscaping, a lovely pool and quiet, respectable neighbors. WWE Superstars from the past including Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tony Atlas and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will turn the neighborhood upside down as the house staff tries their best to keep these Legends on time, on speaking terms, and out of trouble in this new reality show. The series premieres on Thursday, April 10 at 8 pm ET.

This is NXT®

A one-hour special that will take viewers inside the action-packed world of tomorrow’s WWE’s Superstars as they aspire to become the future of WWE. Featuring behind-the-scenes moments and in-ring action from WWE’s Performance Center, fans will get up close and personal with the next generation of Superstars. The series premieres on Monday, February 24 at 11 am ET.

NXT ArRival™

WWE Network’s first live in-ring event will air on Thursday, February 27 at 8 pm ET. The live special will showcase the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars from WWE’s Performance Center, as well as appearances by WWE Superstars John Cena®, Sheamus®, The New Age Outlaws and WWE Legends Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Thirty minutes prior to the event, the NXT ArRival Pre-Show will air at 7:30 pm ET and include exclusive interviews and appearances by NXT Superstars, WWE Superstars and Legends.

WWE NXT®

Each Thursday at 9 pm ET, WWE Superstars and Divas of tomorrow face off on WWE NXT, a one-hour, weekly show that features the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars. WWE NXT showcases the Superstars and Divas from WWE’s Performance Center as well as appearances from WWE Superstars and Legends in an intimate setting. WWE NXT broadcasts from the state-of-the-art Full Sail LIVE venue on the Full Sail University campus in Orlando, Florida. The series premieres on Thursday, March 6 at 9 pm ET.

WWE Superstars®

A one-hour, weekly show highlighting the best of WWE Superstars and Divas in heart-pounding matches. The show will also feature highlights from all WWE programming, as well as a special glimpse at everything going on in the WWE Universe. The series premieres on Thursday, February 27 at 10 pm ET.

Beyond the Ring™

An all-access pass to the fast-paced action of WWE’s home video library. With classic matches and groundbreaking biographies of WWE Legends, fans will have all the action from WCW®, AWA®, ECW® and WWE right at their fingertips. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 8 pm ET.

Best of Raw

Every Wednesday at 9 pm ET, Best of Raw will feature the most memorable episodes from the longest-running weekly episodic show in television history. Each week, see some of the most incredible matches and controversial moments featured over the years on Monday Night Raw. The series premieres at a special date and time on Thursday, February 27 at 4:30 pm ET.

Best of SmackDown

For more than a decade, Friday Night SmackDown has brought amazing action and memorable moments to the WWE Universe. On Saturdays at 1 pm ET, WWE Network will showcase the most exciting episodes of SmackDown. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 1 pm ET.

Expansive Video-On-Demand Library

In addition to live and original programming, fans will have access to the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library the instant they subscribe. WWE Network will offer all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views as well as encores of Raw and SmackDown® totaling more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

Seems the Network is p1ssing off The Dish Network in the states it's looking like they are droping WWE PPV's while keeping TNA and UFC PPV's.

Seems the Network is p1ssing off The Dish Network in the states it's looking like they are droping WWE PPV's while keeping TNA and UFC PPV's.

Great to see. Well done WWE & Vince Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

From the network FAQ;
    12. Will encores of Raw, SmackDown and Main Event be on WWE Network?
    Encores of Raw and SmackDown from 2012 and 2013 will be available on WWE Network.

Do you think they'll put up all the episodes eventually?
    Also, what is an encore of Raw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its the current Monday Night Raw episode made available a day or 2 after its aired on the Monday.

I reckon they'll backfill as much as they can eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

In 5-10 years they'll want the Network to be the only place to watch WWE. No middle man, and they should have the bargaining power then for some of the big satellite and cable companies to pick up the channel. They'll likely have between 3-5 million subscribers by then and can boast a big game when negotiating.

It seems extremely risky but hey they could. That said I highly doubt they'll ever completely get off 'regular' television - if it becomes a 'closed system' on the WWE Network, they have no free gateway for new fans. I'd bet more than 75% of RAW audience, if they couldn't watch for free, they wouldn't watch it! Also their TV is their most lucrative money-spinner. Having the WWE network for backlog & PPVs and the TV deal is the best of both worlds. Also since they quietly lined up their TV contract expirations they're selling their TV programming in one expensive exclusive lump. Also WWE couldn't secure a cable TV deal which is why they had to retreat to being an online service. They don't have the infrastructure to produce a TV station. Being online is also so much cheaper for WWE to produce. Man I can't wait to buy this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Like Jay said but in simpler terms. You need a shop window.

Valid point. Just i think with the way TV is moving and a lot more seem to be moving to the Freeview/Freesat + Netflix option, more and more of the public are coming to terms with online streaming for their TV services. The next 3-5 years will tell a lot I suppose! :)

Lets just hope they take our Irish credit cards Monday, I'm sure we can all agree on that!!! :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Some screenshots from the beta version:

ro7YZsXl.jpg
    NZYdfPal.jpg
    Iyy0jj9l.jpg
    tcRq29ol.jpg
    ZQo85I6.png
    Cx5gnvB.png
    WwUmeLg.png
    uW8CS46.png
    evclo6G.png

The word search is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Looks comprehensive! Papi Chulo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Whens the app available for download on xbox for the US?

beakerjoe wrote: »

Monday evening I'd imagine :)

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »

It's already showing up on PS3 and PS4 in the US so id say over the weekend at some stage.

Advertisement