Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I wonder how many US fans will start using VPN's to get our version of the Network now.

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1375316140134522881?s=20

They have made the same edits to the network versions.

WWE Network News got some updates and clarifications on the Peacock move, for anyone who may be watching through that on here. The synopsis is that all the content including territorial stuff and hidden extras is scheduled to move across.
    We’ve had discussions with both representatives of Peacock TV and WWE Network to get some clarification or confirmation on a few matters.

Peacock is reviewing all WWE content in order to make sure it aligns with Peacock’s standards and practices. This helps explain why the programming will be taking so long to move over from one streaming service to the other. And of course, this is why certain moments have been edited off of WWE Network.

A hot button issue among many subscribers, especially on this site, is whether or not territorial footage will be coming over. It was stated without any hesitation or disclaimer that all the territory footage on the WWE Network will be moved over. Of course, this isn’t accounting for anything needed to be censored, though there was no mention of any of the territory or classic footage needing edits specifically. In regard to the short form content on WWE Network including the “More From” and general extras, this content is all set to be added to the archives in the coming future.

Regarding the mass of content being transferred over, we did inquire about a larger and more complete “Recently Added” section or page of some kind to keep subscribers informed of what has been moved over in full. As of now, we have no information regarding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Monokne wrote: »
    WWE Network News got some updates and clarifications on the Peacock move, for anyone who may be watching through that on here. The synopsis is that all the content including territorial stuff and hidden extras is scheduled to move across.

Standards and practices ? Its late era WCW again. While I can understand peacock having to vet the content I don’t see why wwe and wwe network outside of peacock need to adhere to the same standards. I mean after seven years if something isn’t edited off wwe network then they don’t see an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The WWE getting Peacock to do all the hard work editing the content for it to be PG ready for when they sell it to 3rd parties around the world and cease operations of the Network.

The Network costs the WWE money selling the content to 3rd parties to stream saves them that cost of the Network and makes them huge money on the content instead of having a loss making/break even at best service.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Standards and practices ? Its late era WCW again. While I can understand peacock having to vet the content I don’t see why wwe and wwe network outside of peacock need to adhere to the same standards. I mean after seven years if something isn’t edited off wwe network then they don’t see an issue with it.

I wondered if it was a technical issue in terms of the file being streamed from the same location, ergo it will be the same in both places.

Agree it would be redundant to edit their own versions separately.

The WWE getting Peacock to do all the hard work editing the content for it to be PG ready for when they sell it to 3rd parties around the world and cease operations of the Network.

The Network costs the WWE money selling the content to 3rd parties to stream saves them that cost of the Network and makes them huge money on the content instead of having a loss making/break even at best service.

That's wrong mate. It makes good money, check the quarterly reports.

Certainly, the Peacock deal is making them a lot more money, mind you.

I wondered if it was a technical issue in terms of the file being streamed from the same location, ergo it will be the same in both places.

Agree it would be redundant to edit their own versions separately.

Well it being in the one place but wwe could have put the disclaimer back that they had which I felt was perfectly worded to separate the content from the company.

But wwe have edited stuff prior to it going on the network and as they’ve gone along so my point was the music and shows that have been edited are presumably how wwe wanted it. I don’t have an issue with the Vince promo being cut but whole matches is a bit too far.

Just reading there that the Peacock edited Network will be replacing the content on the Network all over the world.

Hope you call kept your physical copies.

That's actually already been happening. Thought folk would have noticed.

Save your blackface Piper everyone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Haha before I moved to the States I sold about 4000 DVDs from my collection. Should have held on.

• Advertisement

Haha before I moved to the States I sold about 4000 DVDs from my collection. Should have held on.

I f*cked mine in the bin.

Mind you, I didn't have four thousand.

Just reading there that the Peacock edited Network will be replacing the content on the Network all over the world.

Hope you call kept your physical copies.

That’s already happened with wrestle mania 6 and that Vince promo.

One of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era has been removed the DX parody of the Nation of Domination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

One of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era has been removed the DX parody of the Nation of Domination.

You can see why. While Ive no problem with it, I can see why its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Nothing should be removed from the Network.

If Peacock feel the need to put up a warning for certain content, then so be it. But this erasing of history is just weird. Where will it end? Things change over time, and it's part of the experience watching something old and seeing just how different attitudes were back then.

Who's to say that in 20 years time the word "idiot" will be highly offensive and the Network would have to purge most of Jericho's promos from his most recent WWE run.

Look, if the Network survived up until now while featuring a man who killed his own wife and child, then I think Roddy Piper in blackface won't make much of a difference.

And besides, none of this offensive content is advertised to sell the Network. It's not featured in the homepage. You'd have to activately seek out content to be offended by. Which is what Peacock are doing. Pathetic.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You can see why. While Ive no problem with it, I can see why its gone.

This is my take home on all of this.

I understand the people who don't feel that history should be retconned.

However, to me that is not what is happening. Peacock and WWE are choosing not to offer offensive content for streaming. I don't have an idea in my head that I have a divine right to see this for my fiver a month or that somehow (and this is where other people seem to be coming from) they are now pretending it didn't happen.

All of this removed content was a part of wrestling history in January 2014, before there was a WWE network. It is still a part of wrestling history now.

Do I personally think it should be removed? No.

But am I annoyed I can't see wrestlers doing black face in the 1990's on the network anymore? Eh...no! :D Don't know why anyone would be. :confused:

This is my take home on all of this.

I understand the people who don't feel that history should be retconned.

However, to me that is not what is happening. Peacock and WWE are choosing not to offer offensive content for streaming. I don't have an idea in my head that I have a divine right to see this for my fiver a month or that somehow (and this is where other people seem to be coming from) they are now pretending it didn't happen.

All of this removed content was a part of wrestling history in January 2014, before there was a WWE network. It is still a part of wrestling history now.

Do I personally think it should be removed? No.

But am I annoyed I can't see wrestlers doing black face in the 1990's on the network anymore? Eh...no! :D Don't know why anyone would be. :confused:

Sure if I really REALLY wanna check out Piper in half n half or DX in black face in 98, I can check it out on youtube.

Exactly. Or buy a DVD or blu ray

I just don't understand this erasing stuff. Why? In case it offends someone? Big deal. Being offended is part of the risk of being alive.

All these things are part of wrestling history. And they should be viewed in the context of history.

It's just funny that nobody is demanding they remove footage of a double murderer using a hold which he also used to kill his 7 year old son in real life. But a fake Scot painting his face black is where some people draw the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Personally I don't care about that stuff because it's pro wrestling and if you watch pro wrestling you understand what it is.

But, nobody can react with shock to this. Peacock is big boy stuff, owned by a big boy company. The moment this was in the works that was it for the Network and having that entire vault at your fingertips. You'll never have that again in America, or here when they sell it off. And any non fan browsing about, who came across virtually any of the territory stuff, or a whole range of WWF/WWE stuff and basically all of ECW was going to post about it and cause an uproar. Peacock have tried to get ahead of it but in doing so they've created a mountain of work for themselves and have basically bought a library which they can never show in its entirety, or even half of the stuff on it because, why would they? They're there for the current WWE product, the live ppvs and the dumb talk shows. That's it.

Who is deciding what is offensive anyway? What's the criteria? Will all Hulk Hogan stuff be erased? What about Nick Dinsmore playing Eugene? Will it just be blackface stuff that's erased? If so, why?

What if I'm offended by the jokes about Shawn Michaels' receding hair line? Maybe I found that traumatic. Why should I have to listen to that hateful talk as a bald man?

What about Mike Tyson at Mania 14? After all, the man is a rapist. Why should survivors of sexual assault have to see that when watching WWE on Peacock?

My point is, you can't erase all offensive content. It's impossible. There'll always be someone offended by something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sirmanga wrote: »
    My point is, you can't erase all offensive content. It's impossible. There'll always be someone offended by something.

This is true. Most of the current product offends all of my 5 senses.

Loughc wrote: »

Whenever WWE buys AEW I'm going to be lobbying Peacock to remove Young Bucks content due to the offence caused by their rubbish matches and selling.

Who is deciding what is offensive anyway? What's the criteria? Will all Hulk Hogan stuff be erased? What about Nick Dinsmore playing Eugene? Will it just be blackface stuff that's erased? If so, why?

What if I'm offended by the jokes about Shawn Michaels' receding hair line? Maybe I found that traumatic. Why should I have to listen to that hateful talk as a bald man?

What about Mike Tyson at Mania 14? After all, the man is a rapist. Why should survivors of sexual assault have to see that when watching WWE on Peacock?

You can be offended by all of those things. But it'll be things like racism, homophobia and sexism I'd imagine that will be the ones that are scrubbed.

Whenever WWE buys AEW I'm going to be lobbying Peacock to remove Young Bucks content due to the offence caused by their rubbish matches and selling.

Swear some day we're gonna jump into what people think selling actually is and we're gonna work it out once and for all.

• Advertisement

Ha! That’s funny Loughc.

I just don't understand this erasing stuff. Why? In case it offends someone? Big deal. Being offended is part of the risk of being alive.

All these things are part of wrestling history. And they should be viewed in the context of history.

It's just funny that nobody is demanding they remove footage of a double murderer using a hold which he also used to kill his 7 year old son in real life. But a fake Scot painting his face black is where some people draw the line?

They are still part of wrestling history. These companies just don't want to broadcast them at the risk of offending people.

Content that could be considered racially insensitive appears to be what Peacock, and other streaming services, are eliminating. Netflix has removed episodes of certain shows for the same reason, amongst other platforms. It's just a hot button topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1061692124317471

Wasn't expecting that, Chris Jericho the latest guest on the Stone cold podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1061692124317471

Wasn't expecting that, Chris Jericho the latest guest on the Stone cold podcast

That should be interesting

https://twitter.com/WWENetwork/status/1378014457469763584

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And on Mania weekend

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE opening the forbidden door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Probably be a standard fluff interview, would've been better off on Austin's podcast where it could've been a no holds barred chat.

How much control does Austin actually have over Broken Skull Sessions?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Probably be a standard fluff interview, would've been better off on Austin's podcast where it could've been a no holds barred chat.

Should draw a big audience on peacock for them as everyone will be interested if they mention AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Should draw a big audience on peacock for them as everyone will be interested if they mention AEW.

Assuming they do mention AEW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sirmanga wrote:

Tbh, I can't watch Benoit anymore anyways so if he got removed from the Network it would make no earthly difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

"So Chris, how's retirement going?"

People waiting for a big discussion on AEW will be disappointed I think.

I'd say it'll be this towards the end of the interview..

Austin - "What are you up to these days, Chris?"

Jericho - "I'm still wrestling these days, Steve"

Austin - "That's cool man. Anyway thanks for being my guest on the broken skull sessions"

Assuming they do mention AEW.

That’s why I said if. But that’s the controversy element they will use to hook people in. It’s a clever move on all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jericho showing he's the cutest fcuker in the business yet again. Still keeping WWE sweet.

• Advertisement

Jericho showing he's the cutest fcuker in the business yet again. Still keeping WWE sweet.

Hes been criticising WWE at times, but always says hes still on good terms with Vince.

Im curious how the deal came about.

Realisticly its a win win situation. Gets eyes on WWEs show, it doenst affect AEW in anyway I can see. Its not like Jericho is turning up in NXT while a AEW show is airing.

Im surprised at WWE.... they usually like to erase talent that work with a rival... esp one so instrumental in AEWs success. Why the change? Who organised it, who greenlight it?

I imagine it will not mention AEW in the slightest though

See Austins own pod doesnt make it controversial.

An AEW talent on a WWE show is unprecedented. Its the hook. We are all curious to see how WWE handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

HOF next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    HOF next year?

I don't know but it's a given he'll be there one day and doing TV appearances. He's a smarter version of Flair.

This just goes to show how little of a threat Vince thinks AEW poses.

Besides, any WWE fans who don't watch AEW are hardly gonna be inspired to upon watching this interview when they see a haggard, over the hill, overweight guy who used to be a big star for WWE. It'd be like a former Man United player being interviewed on MUTV talking about how great it is to be playing in the league in Qatar for 500,000 a week.

Which is what AEW is, basically. A league that hardly anyone watches, with massive money behind it, being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

This just goes to show how little of a threat Vince views AEW.

Besides, any WWE fans who don't watch AEW are hardly gonna be inspired to upon watching this interview when they see a haggard, over the hill, overweight guy who used to be a big star for WWE. It'd be like a former Man United player being interviewed on MUTV talking about how great it is to be playing in the league in Qatar for 500,000 a week.
    Which is what AEW is, basically. A league with massive money behind it being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

Kenny Omega as subpar. Jesus wept.

tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

:D no stop that!

Which is what AEW is, basically. A league that hardly anyone watches, with massive money behind it, being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

I get what you are trying to say, i believe your comparisons dont fit.

WWE certainly feel AEW is a threat. Maybe not an immediate threat but its certainly got their attention.

They wouldn't go two hours on NXT when AEW Dynamite debuted otherwise.

The counter booking on NXT suggests they are worried.

The move from Wednesday to Tuesday nights.

Again maybe not an immediate threat but they certainly are feeling a little worried.

AEW is miles off being the brand WWE is, but are slowly growing and doing probably better than most expected in tehir first 2 years especially with a Pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hey now, Britt Baker is pretty good.

Advertisement