Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but thought it was the weakest episode of the three so far.

It didn't seem to have the same focus as the first two. To me this episode went all over the shop timeline wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

It's a great series but it really seems like there was a lot of wheel spinning in making it because they didn't know how his career would end. Episode 1 was great as it was basically what we all thought was the end. Episode 2 was the clear reason for him not retiring and his shot at redemption. Episode 3 and likely the rest of the show will be pretty scattered because it reflects his career since.

Embarassing outings followed by some redemption. So we'll get Goldberg as a low and then his Extreme Rules match as a new high. Then you have the Graveyard match to show his continued legacy and that he's becoming less of the Undertaker and more Mark Calaway.

I think it's tough because surely this can't be the end of his career. Would they really have him retire without an audience or one last proper match and just do it on a network show, hardly. So what are we left with? A show without a clear ending that maps a man chasing highs he can no longer achieve and looking for the perfect moment to retire even though it may have already passed him by.

It's fascinating when you look at it from that meta perspective but I agree that the episode was a bit weaker and less focused and I think baring some massive revelation it's likely to continue that course. I hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

As much as I enjoy the Undertaker series, I'm not sure how much I like seeing this once mysterious and private tough guy become an Instagramming, vulnerable, broken down old man. To me, there's no happy ending, no redemption for him at this stage. Let's face it, The Undertaker should have retired after he lost the Streak. It's tragic seeing him hobble around with a bloated gut, eye liner, and a skullet.
    He reminds me of those sad old guys you see in a night club who have decided to stick with the clothes and hairstyle that worked for them during their peak, when the best place for them is at home with a wife and kids.

Also, Vince looks so old. Especially in episode 2 when you can see his hearing aid. Vince can barely even talk anymore without it seemingly sapping his strength. And his constantly bloodshot eyes. He should retire too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The Undertaker series is the best thing the wwe ever produced. Its fantastic stuff. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Officer999

Funny how Taker said how envious he was of HBK retiring with the perfect ending and then he ruins it all with that shambles in Saudi. The look on his face sitting in the corner said it all. What an awful decision that was to come out of retirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Officer999 wrote: »
    Funny how Taker said how envious he was of HBK retiring with the perfect ending and then he ruins it all with that shambles in Saudi. The look on his face sitting in the corner said it all. What an awful decision that was to come out of retirement

Didn't realise he had come back but it looked terrible alright. Had to be purely for cash. Taker should retire too. Has to be worth a fortune at this stage. Why risk it at his age?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Didn't realise he had come back but it looked terrible alright. Had to be purely for cash. Taker should retire too. Has to be worth a fortune at this stage. Why risk it at his age?

Old timers like Taker are addicted to it all, the reaction, the Adrenaline, the notary, etc it’s not necessarily about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loughc wrote: »
    Old timers like Taker are addicted to it all, the reaction, the Adrenaline, the notary, etc it’s not necessarily about money.

Seems that way but some guys like Ric Flair its all about 'the money' and there not shy of saying it either

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loughc wrote: »

Hard to turn down that kind money as well that goes with 1 or 2 matches a year.

Both Taker and Shawn took the Saudi money over retirement legacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Seems that way but some guys like Ric Flair its all about 'the money' and there not shy of saying it either

I think in Ric's case, its more "all about the alimony"

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think in Ric's case, its more "all about the alimony"

Oh well played Gerry.

His lawyer and accountant are probably begging him to make this marriage last. He's on his fourth marriage(I think) and he's made a balls of his finances over the years because being the nature boy ain't cheap.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh well played Gerry.

His lawyer and accountant are probably begging him to make this marriage last. He's on his fourth marriage(I think) and he's made a balls of his finances over the years because being the nature boy ain't cheap.

Maybe his accountant, pretty sure lawyers love divorce. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That episode definitely was a bit loose, he said if the Saudi debacle was a good match he'd have been happy and left it at that, not a hope. He'll want to go out at Wrestlemania.
    Someone needs to get Vince out of his ear, he leans on him knowing he won't say no. The likes of Stone Cold said they'll tell him if he goes on too long, well I think its time for them to do that.

Not sure what or who he'd see as a fitting way to go.

It was an enjoyable episode for the reviews of that tag team match though, "missed it by THAT much".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If he can stay loose and in decent shape, he should be able to have a spot-fest Mania match next year like the Cena one. After the Cena match he seemed to have a bit more to give so with more prep time and his new hip it might work out a bit better.

Then for the love of god, just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WWE Alters Streaming Strategy, Rolls Out Free Tier With New Shows Like ‘Raw Talk’
    World Wrestling Entertainment, which forged an early path in subscription streaming by launching the WWE Network in 2014, has introduced a free version of the service with 15,000 hours of programming.

Weekly show Raw Talk will join the streaming lineup following broadcasts of Monday Night Raw. Recent episodes of Raw, Friday Night SmackDown and NXT will also be on the free version of the streaming service, along with original series Monday Night War, Ride Along, Table for 3, Photo Shoot and Story Time.

Initially, the free tier will not have advertising. Its main strategic purpose will be to help the company promote its lucrative pay-per-view events and flagship broadcast shows.

“The launch of WWE Network’s free version is a key component of our company’s digitization strategy and a new way for all fans to be able to experience premium WWE content,” said Jayar Donlan, the company’s EVP of Advanced Media. “As we continue to reimagine WWE Network’s offering, the free version will serve as an effective way to reach a broader group of consumers and allow them to experience the history and spectacle of WWE.”

After peaking in 2018 with 2.1 million subscribers, the $10-a-month version of the WWE Network now has about 1.5 million. Originally built by BAMTech, which is now known as Disney Streaming Services, WWE Network is now powered by Endeavor’s streaming tech unit. Compared with the landscape of 2014, it faces a dramatically more crowded field of streaming competitors.

WWE in general has seen its fortunes shift in recent months, with CEO Vince McMahon parting ways with the two longtime co-presidents of the company in January. He also saw his investment in the XFL — a revival of a pro football network aiming to give the NFL some competition — wash out when the league’s season was cut short by COVID-19. The virus has also wreaked havoc on the company’s balance sheet, necessitating cost cuts and furloughs even though the company was able to continue staging matches in Florida after having them declared “essential services.”

Streaming is an area where many investors see promise and financial upside given the WWE Network’s standing as a pioneer. In April, on a conference call with Wall Street analysts, executives said they had come close to firming up a deal with a partner for the streaming network, only to see negotiations go sideways due to the pandemic.

“The COVID-19 stuff caught everybody with their pants down,” McMahon said. “We had a number of individuals who are very active in our network and of course, and just when you think you’re getting close, the bottom fell out. Very close with a number of individuals that really want our network.”

For the time being, the company will continue to operate it as a solo venture, but it is continuing to explore alternatives, McMahon said. “If something happens with someone else after COVID-19 is over and they look at our balance sheet, etc., then that will happen too.”

https://deadline.com/2020/06/wwe-subscription-streaming-rolls-out-free-version-raw-talk-1202948079/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Anyone use the PS4 app? I hadn't in at least a year but did the last few nights & it doesn't seem to be keeping my watch history. It has continue watching from stuff I watched on either my laptop or smart tv but not the PS4. And when I finish and try to go back to watch something else it comes up "could not load content".

Have tried deleting & reinstalling but it's still happening.

If I'm thinking correctly this is the first time wwe 24 are going back a good bit in time for Ric Flairs upcoming episode

If I'm thinking correctly this is the first time wwe 24 are going back a good bit in time for Ric Flairs upcoming episode

Good bit in time as in how long ? When is the ric flair episode out PTH ?

Good bit in time as in how long ? When is the ric flair episode out PTH ?

Almost sure its about his last WWE match in 2008 but could of misread it
    airing after In your house on Sunday

Almost sure its about his last WWE match in 2008 but could of misread it
    airing after In your house on Sunday

Nice!!! I loved that match and the send off the next night. Let's hope it is from then.

• Advertisement

Flair wwe 24 is now available on demand.

I just finished it and Christ almighty WWE film everything clearly. It's an emotional documentary as all ric flair things are because he clearly has regrets about his wrestling career and it's impact on his family life. He's my favourite wrestler of all time bar none, and I'd love as a fan for ric flair to get to a better place over all of that.

I just finished it and Christ almighty WWE film everything clearly. It's an emotional documentary as all ric flair things are because he clearly has regrets about his wrestling career and it's impact on his family life. He's my favourite wrestler of all time bar none, and I'd love as a fan for ric flair to get to a better place over all of that.

Enjoyed it, I wonder could we have seen Triple H face him in his last wwe match instead of HBK

True about the 'wooo' and I'd say theres not a wrestling show in the world where its not heard

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Officer999

Is there another episode of the Last Ride to come out or is that it with the third episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Two more episodes to come. Next episode is this Sunday, presumably after Backlash if not earlier and the fifth/final episode is the week after.

The fourth episode of the last ride is available on demand and it's a very good episode. They address the starrcast signing which I didn't think they would. It's good to see the guy behind the character.

The fourth episode of the last ride is available on demand and it's a very good episode. They address the starrcast signing which I didn't think they would. It's good to see the guy behind the character.

Yeah very good episode, you see a glimpse of Rey Mysterio unmasked

Who do you say will induct taker into the HOF ?

Kane would be the obvious choice but they could go with Triple H or even Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

He's probably closer to Kane than Triple H.

Maybe Shawn Michaels?

Can't see Vince doing it.

Yeah very good episode, you see a glimpse of Rey Mysterio unmasked

Who do you say will induct taker into the HOF ?

Kane would be the obvious choice but they could go with Triple H or even Vince

Kane for me is the best choice as Kane will give a speech worthy of the guy he'd be inducting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Could always do a mix of the 3 of them

Advertisement