Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

feel sorry for anyone that dumped/sold their DVDs/collections thinking that the network would have everything. We are so lucky to have the feckin PC police protecting us from life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

feel sorry for anyone that dumped/sold their DVDs/collections thinking that the network would have everything. We are so lucky to have the feckin PC police protecting us from life.

Something tells me this line of thinking goes deeper than wrestling..

Anyway at the end of the day they had a choice. The worst would have been to ignore it, maybe they could have flicked up a warning screen before each show (but that probably wouldn't have placated criticism) and now, as Joe and Rich pointed out yesterday, they've worked themselves into a corner. You can take out the obvious racist stuff from the WWE ppvs, but there's racism that runs through it to loads of different cultures, you'll find tonnes of misogyny, you'll find homophobia. And that's just WWE.

End of the day, the US is never getting the full Network again. I did laugh when they said it'll be good for Summer, not a hope. We can enjoy having the archive while we have it, but when they sell it off I'm out, no way I'm paying for the current day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Something tells me this line of thinking goes deeper than wrestling..

Anyway at the end of the day they had a choice. The worst would have been to ignore it, maybe they could have flicked up a warning screen before each show (but that probably wouldn't have placated criticism) and now, as Joe and Rich pointed out yesterday, they've worked themselves into a corner. You can take out the obvious racist stuff from the WWE ppvs, but there's racism that runs through it to loads of different cultures, you'll find tonnes of misogyny, you'll find homophobia. And that's just WWE.

End of the day, the US is never getting the full Network again. I did laugh when they said it'll be good for Summer, not a hope. We can enjoy having the archive while we have it, but when they sell it off I'm out, no way I'm paying for the current day stuff.

Get out now man, I cut it about a year back when I finished with all the WCW I wanted to rewatch. Don't miss it at all with the plethora of other pro-wrestling out there, zero chance I was continuing to give WWE money for the state of their current product.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how many US fans will start using VPN's to get our version of the Network now.

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1375316140134522881?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just exactly how many hours of WWE material are Peacock taking a blade to in terms of editing?

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just exactly how many hours of WWE material are Peacock taking a blade to in terms of editing?

17k I read.

ECW is going to be decimated I'd imagine.

Get out now man, I cut it about a year back when I finished with all the WCW I wanted to rewatch. Don't miss it at all with the plethora of other pro-wrestling out there, zero chance I was continuing to give WWE money for the state of their current product.

I feel bad but it's the damn tape library I'm in it for, I justify for that but the live stuff does nothing for me so if it's just that and they're dumb talk shows it's a no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »

No idea. The attitude era could be in for a disastrous time of it if this is a sign of things to come. I mean wwe when the network had a disclaimer that played before videos that had stuff in it that wasn’t great(I think it was mostly Benoit videos) so why couldn’t peacock have done that ? I mean we are meant to be living in 2021, where people can decide anything we want more or less, so if I don’t want to watch something I won’t watch, but it’ll be my call as an adult not somebody else. Also, weirdly the chapter mark is still up for piper and bad news Brown but it skips to the next match.

17k I read.

More than it already is you mean ? ECW a may not go up because it won’t be worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

17k I read.

Holy **** that's a lot of editing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

I wonder how many US fans will start using VPN's to get our version of the Network now.

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1375316140134522881?s=20

They have made the same edits to the network versions.

WWE Network News got some updates and clarifications on the Peacock move, for anyone who may be watching through that on here. The synopsis is that all the content including territorial stuff and hidden extras is scheduled to move across.
    We’ve had discussions with both representatives of Peacock TV and WWE Network to get some clarification or confirmation on a few matters.

Peacock is reviewing all WWE content in order to make sure it aligns with Peacock’s standards and practices. This helps explain why the programming will be taking so long to move over from one streaming service to the other. And of course, this is why certain moments have been edited off of WWE Network.

A hot button issue among many subscribers, especially on this site, is whether or not territorial footage will be coming over. It was stated without any hesitation or disclaimer that all the territory footage on the WWE Network will be moved over. Of course, this isn’t accounting for anything needed to be censored, though there was no mention of any of the territory or classic footage needing edits specifically. In regard to the short form content on WWE Network including the “More From” and general extras, this content is all set to be added to the archives in the coming future.

Regarding the mass of content being transferred over, we did inquire about a larger and more complete “Recently Added” section or page of some kind to keep subscribers informed of what has been moved over in full. As of now, we have no information regarding this.

Monokne wrote: »
    WWE Network News got some updates and clarifications on the Peacock move, for anyone who may be watching through that on here. The synopsis is that all the content including territorial stuff and hidden extras is scheduled to move across.

Standards and practices ? Its late era WCW again. While I can understand peacock having to vet the content I don’t see why wwe and wwe network outside of peacock need to adhere to the same standards. I mean after seven years if something isn’t edited off wwe network then they don’t see an issue with it.

The WWE getting Peacock to do all the hard work editing the content for it to be PG ready for when they sell it to 3rd parties around the world and cease operations of the Network.

The Network costs the WWE money selling the content to 3rd parties to stream saves them that cost of the Network and makes them huge money on the content instead of having a loss making/break even at best service.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Standards and practices ? Its late era WCW again. While I can understand peacock having to vet the content I don’t see why wwe and wwe network outside of peacock need to adhere to the same standards. I mean after seven years if something isn’t edited off wwe network then they don’t see an issue with it.

I wondered if it was a technical issue in terms of the file being streamed from the same location, ergo it will be the same in both places.

Agree it would be redundant to edit their own versions separately.

The WWE getting Peacock to do all the hard work editing the content for it to be PG ready for when they sell it to 3rd parties around the world and cease operations of the Network.

The Network costs the WWE money selling the content to 3rd parties to stream saves them that cost of the Network and makes them huge money on the content instead of having a loss making/break even at best service.

That's wrong mate. It makes good money, check the quarterly reports.

Certainly, the Peacock deal is making them a lot more money, mind you.

I wondered if it was a technical issue in terms of the file being streamed from the same location, ergo it will be the same in both places.

Agree it would be redundant to edit their own versions separately.

Well it being in the one place but wwe could have put the disclaimer back that they had which I felt was perfectly worded to separate the content from the company.

But wwe have edited stuff prior to it going on the network and as they’ve gone along so my point was the music and shows that have been edited are presumably how wwe wanted it. I don’t have an issue with the Vince promo being cut but whole matches is a bit too far.

Just reading there that the Peacock edited Network will be replacing the content on the Network all over the world.

Hope you call kept your physical copies.

That's actually already been happening. Thought folk would have noticed.

Save your blackface Piper everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Haha before I moved to the States I sold about 4000 DVDs from my collection. Should have held on.

• Advertisement

Haha before I moved to the States I sold about 4000 DVDs from my collection. Should have held on.

I f*cked mine in the bin.

Mind you, I didn't have four thousand.

Just reading there that the Peacock edited Network will be replacing the content on the Network all over the world.

Hope you call kept your physical copies.

That’s already happened with wrestle mania 6 and that Vince promo.

One of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era has been removed the DX parody of the Nation of Domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

One of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era has been removed the DX parody of the Nation of Domination.

You can see why. While Ive no problem with it, I can see why its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Nothing should be removed from the Network.

If Peacock feel the need to put up a warning for certain content, then so be it. But this erasing of history is just weird. Where will it end? Things change over time, and it's part of the experience watching something old and seeing just how different attitudes were back then.

Who's to say that in 20 years time the word "idiot" will be highly offensive and the Network would have to purge most of Jericho's promos from his most recent WWE run.

Look, if the Network survived up until now while featuring a man who killed his own wife and child, then I think Roddy Piper in blackface won't make much of a difference.

And besides, none of this offensive content is advertised to sell the Network. It's not featured in the homepage. You'd have to activately seek out content to be offended by. Which is what Peacock are doing. Pathetic.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You can see why. While Ive no problem with it, I can see why its gone.

This is my take home on all of this.

I understand the people who don't feel that history should be retconned.

However, to me that is not what is happening. Peacock and WWE are choosing not to offer offensive content for streaming. I don't have an idea in my head that I have a divine right to see this for my fiver a month or that somehow (and this is where other people seem to be coming from) they are now pretending it didn't happen.

All of this removed content was a part of wrestling history in January 2014, before there was a WWE network. It is still a part of wrestling history now.

Do I personally think it should be removed? No.

But am I annoyed I can't see wrestlers doing black face in the 1990's on the network anymore? Eh...no! :D Don't know why anyone would be. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This is my take home on all of this.

I understand the people who don't feel that history should be retconned.

However, to me that is not what is happening. Peacock and WWE are choosing not to offer offensive content for streaming. I don't have an idea in my head that I have a divine right to see this for my fiver a month or that somehow (and this is where other people seem to be coming from) they are now pretending it didn't happen.

All of this removed content was a part of wrestling history in January 2014, before there was a WWE network. It is still a part of wrestling history now.

Do I personally think it should be removed? No.

But am I annoyed I can't see wrestlers doing black face in the 1990's on the network anymore? Eh...no! :D Don't know why anyone would be. :confused:

Sure if I really REALLY wanna check out Piper in half n half or DX in black face in 98, I can check it out on youtube.

Exactly. Or buy a DVD or blu ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I just don't understand this erasing stuff. Why? In case it offends someone? Big deal. Being offended is part of the risk of being alive.

All these things are part of wrestling history. And they should be viewed in the context of history.

It's just funny that nobody is demanding they remove footage of a double murderer using a hold which he also used to kill his 7 year old son in real life. But a fake Scot painting his face black is where some people draw the line?

• Advertisement

Personally I don't care about that stuff because it's pro wrestling and if you watch pro wrestling you understand what it is.

But, nobody can react with shock to this. Peacock is big boy stuff, owned by a big boy company. The moment this was in the works that was it for the Network and having that entire vault at your fingertips. You'll never have that again in America, or here when they sell it off. And any non fan browsing about, who came across virtually any of the territory stuff, or a whole range of WWF/WWE stuff and basically all of ECW was going to post about it and cause an uproar. Peacock have tried to get ahead of it but in doing so they've created a mountain of work for themselves and have basically bought a library which they can never show in its entirety, or even half of the stuff on it because, why would they? They're there for the current WWE product, the live ppvs and the dumb talk shows. That's it.

Advertisement