Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Options
  • 06-01-2014 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Did a search and no thread for possibly the best game of 2013?

Pretty short but a perfect gaming experience. Thought it worked well with the PS3 pad.

Probably coming free to Plus users next month but it's super cheap on PC or 360.

Well worth it if you've nothing to play atm, don't think it's over a fiver for each system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Even though I reckon it'll come to plus but since it's on the January sale (Only 5 euro) I said I'd get it since it's got a bit of praise.

Absolutely loved it, definitely up there as one of the best games of the year. One of the rare games where the gameplay and narrative are one.

Hope it gets more recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Picked it up in the Steam sales, have yet to play it (like everyones purchases during those dark, dark times :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dont know WTF people see in this game.

I am just glad I payed only 4eu and at the same time I pissed off I payed 4eu for it.

It had some clever mechanics and a few nice visual locations, other then that Meh. It was trying to be one of those Emotional games, but it was more annoying and stupid ( the twist ), then actually emotional.

And I am saying this as a fella who cried like a little girl several times in Walking Dead game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benben06

Was searching for a thread on this game as I had to post about it. Just finished it at the weekend and thought it was fantastic!
    A little gem of a game perfectly paced, and just really got to me.
    Haven't felt the need to post about a game before but felt that this one really deserved it.

Out of nowhere a genuine GOY contender for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I played through it a couple of days ago. It only took 3 hours but i loved every minute of it.

Really loved the world the game is set in too.
    The level set amongst the aftermath of the battle of the giants was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Absolutely fantastic visual and emotional experience. Not difficult but some great mechanics (climbing, gliding etc) and definitely my game of the year. I've just started Rain and it's nowhere near as good. More please Starbreeze (or I'd take another Riddick game :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I have mixed feelings about this. I play it on PC (thanks Amazon.com sale) and it looks lovely, as I'm sure it does on every platform.

The controls took some getting used to if I'm being honest. And the game doesn't challenge you mentally, or get any more difficult as it progresses. The brother's have a harder and harder time of it, but you, as the player don't.

But (Massive spoilers for those who haven't completed the game)
    The moment at the end of the game where you're alone as the little brother, and you use the big brothers 'actions' to help you get through the water, etc. I was amazed! I don't think I'll ever forget that experience, and it was worth playing the game to have that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It doesn't look that good on the PS3 if I'm being honest. However for €4.45 it was a great and unexpected experience as I had no idea what the game was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The controls took some getting used to if I'm being honest. And the game doesn't challenge you mentally, or get any more difficult as it progresses. The brother's have a harder and harder time of it, but you, as the player don't.

I think the problem there would have been trying to co-ordinate two characters to complete more difficult puzzles would have made the game too hard and made it a more frustrating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished it up a sec ago. A nice little game with a touching story and an interesting control system but as far game of the year as some commentators have been saying on the net, im not so sure. Well worth a play through all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Whatever about the rest of the game (which I generally enjoyed for the price I paid for it in the sale), dear God almighty, I hated the sound design in this game.

That wailing banshee / crying baby / howling dog soundtrack was unbelievably irritating. The soundtrack veered from me not even being aware that there was one, to annoyance.

Plus; and this may be just me, but I wasn't a fan of their "Sim-speak" gibberish. Whether it was to do with reduced costs, or eliminating the need for multiple large voice files, or, for story reasons to keep their close relationship obvious without any need for specific "I love you, brother" lines; I don't know. Either way, the end result wasn't exactly a non-verbal bond regardless; so why do it that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Player 2 wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of the game (which I generally enjoyed for the price I paid for it in the sale), dear God almighty, I hated the sound design in this game.

That wailing banshee / crying baby / howling dog soundtrack was unbelievably irritating. The soundtrack veered from me not even being aware that there was one, to annoyance.

Plus; and this may be just me, but I wasn't a fan of their "Sim-speak" gibberish. Whether it was to do with reduced costs, or eliminating the need for multiple large voice files, or, for story reasons to keep their close relationship obvious without any need for specific "I love you, brother" lines; I don't know. Either way, the end result wasn't exactly a non-verbal bond regardless; so why do it that way?

I took the "sim-speak" as a nod to ico / shadow of colossus in some ways, really though if they had used english or any other language it would have taken away from the game imo, the speech actually enhanced it imo , yes it was almost certainly done in that way to keep costs down as there would be no need to localise it then but still I think it was effective at getting the point made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I loved the soundtrack. I can't think of any wailing banshee

You mean this? Tis lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Lovely game, art direction and the landscapes were breathtaking, especially
    the part after the snow village, when you emerge on a mountain top and the Northern Lights in the background

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd say the game's biggest problem is that it takes quite a while to get to the really good stuff. For the first I would say almost half the game I found it to be enjoyable but not particularly inspiring. The gameplay, outside of the main 'novelty' of getting to play as two characters at once, felt awkward - the human brain isn't quite wired to control two characters simultaneously, and although the game is generously easy, it all felt a bit messy in execution (on the other hand, the game gave me a newfound respect for those folks who can play Ikaruga with both ships). It also doesn't help that several of the game's less inspired setpieces are planted here - the
    troll reunion and 'torchlight'
    segments were far from highlights IMO. While the art design is regularly magnificent, for the longest time I felt it was limited by underwhelming graphical oomph - luckily, some of the game's wonderful later settings render those technical concerns negligible.

Anyway, the game does eventually get to the good stuff. While the gameplay doesn't necessarily become any more brilliant in and off itself (although I thoroughly enjoyed the rope climbing sequence), there are some truly beautiful visuals, landscapes and events -
    the mountain climb, the haunting valley of fallen giants, the invisible monster, the Northern lights
    . The second half is almost always imaginative, intriguing and mysterious. But most importantly the way it incorporates the gameplay and narrative towards the end is a major success. The story's 'literal' conclusion veers between overblown and moving, but the way it's executed is fantastic and instantly illustrates how a co-op mode would simply have completely undermined the whole point of the game. Like Braid's conclusion, the ending uses the very mechanics as a narrative delivery device, and the player is led to interpret the game's themes and character developments not via cutscenes but through subversion and recontextualisation of the game's control system: a smart and effective tactic. And, while I felt some of the cutscenes were somewhat melodramatic, having to
    shovel in the grave was a genuinely devastating moment that powerfully indicated 'nope, he's not coming back'
    :(

Also, just as a further indicator that the game is heavily inspired by Ico, the
    giant's house
    was fairly reminiscent of a certain crumbling castle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I just started playing it yesterday, 4euros like what was there to lose.
    Ive played it for 3 hours, (Going to finish it and then get the trophies which I had no idea how to get, so googled it :o)
    And well I lovin it, feels like something from back in the good aul days :D

Well I just finished it and now I hate it :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finished it lastnight, I agree with johnny in that it only really got great in the second half. The valley of the giants was the stand out for me and the epilogue was genius. Gameplay wise, the part where the brothers were roped together was the best part.

It was a very easy game, and very short but I can't fault it for that, it's not something I'll forget in a hurry.

It's strange how my perception of games has changed over the last year like they've come of age for me, I've always been a gamer and appreciated a game with a good story but this, The Last of Us and To the Moon (I'm aware it didn't come out last year, but only played it over the christmas) really knocked me for six in terms of their emotional impact and storytelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked how dark the game's surroundings progressively got. While the set-up was grim enough to begin with, the initial setting and atmosphere was quite jaunty and colourful. As the story wore on things got very dark and morbid; the Valley of the Giants was one particular moment when I felt a long way from the beginning, from 'home'. So in that respect I think the game captured the sense of adventure and the unknown, of being isolated from all that's familiar when you strike out to explore the world. It's the first game I've played in a long while where I felt genuine wonder at the new locations and events I witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I picked it up on the live sale over christmas. Normally I'd finish a game and move on, but I find myself thinking about it a lot since
    I keep thinking about how sad it was for the father to lose his wife and eldest son, also I cant help but sense an undercurrent of resentment that the younger brother was present for both of their deaths.
    some of the things you encounter were very grim - I wasnt expecting the likes of
    the guy about to hang himself after his family died in a fire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what were you supposed to do with the hanging guy, i got him down but I think you were supposed to doing something else to get the achievement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Skerries wrote: »
    what were you supposed to do with the hanging guy, i got him down but I think you were supposed to doing something else to get the achievement?

you had to
    climb out to the burnt ruins of the house and retrieve the photo album or music box or something for him

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skerries wrote: »
    Go around the back of the tree, you can move along the cliff, climb into the burned house pick up the music box and bring it out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Just downloaded this.. Been waiting for likes of this journey flower to become free with ps plus before playing..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

brady12 wrote: »
    Just downloaded this.. Been waiting for likes of this journey flower to become free with ps plus before playing..
    Take your time with it.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Take your time with it.

Don't worry I will.. 3 hours roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Did someone mention an epilogue to this?

Just finished this.. Was good until bit where see castle .. Then it just got unreal.what a brilliant game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Well this game was a total waste of my time. I'm on chapter 2 I think and have to get a key from a troll. Unfortunately the game is glitched so neither the little brother or the troll are doing what they are meant to do.

The little brother won't get the key. And I can't set off the alarm to get the trolls attention. From reading online the only way to fix it is to restart. Not interested in that.

Well this game was a total waste of my time. I'm on chapter 2 I think and have to get a key from a troll. Unfortunately the game is glitched so neither the little brother or the troll are doing what they are meant to do.

The little brother won't get the key. And I can't set off the alarm to get the trolls attention. From reading online the only way to fix it is to restart. Not interested in that.

Same happened to me, you need to restart the chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The game just gets better and better from that point. Persevere and enjoy!

Advertisement