Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

highchair-tripp trapp

Options
  • 06-01-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

hi,

im currently looking at high chairs and though i really like the tripp trapp namely for the fact that baby can be part of the family table etc however its really pricey so im wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative?
    cant seem to find one second hand either :(
    tia
    clare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Get a booster seat and put it on one of your own chairs. I got a Jane booster as it has it's own tray which was handy for messy foods when my son was younger, and stopped him from pushing the chair back on two legs when he got stronger.

It's perfect as he could sit at the table with us even months before he started eating (he loved the interaction) and now we just use it as a booster to give him extra height. It packs up quite small so it's easy to bring with us if we are going visiting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we used a fisher price booster seat for our lot and it is really handy when they grow our of needing a high chair for doing art at the table etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

clare82 wrote: »
    hi,

im currently looking at high chairs and though i really like the tripp trapp namely for the fact that baby can be part of the family table etc however its really pricey so im wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative?
    tia
    clare

I don't know much about this high chair but saw it when I bought my travel system. It is very expensive? I signed up to bounty and always get emails on offers from various shops in uk. Here are some alternatives ( I don't know are they any good!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003PC0Y7Y/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=baby

http://www.boots.ie/en/Hauck-Beta-Wooden-High-Chair-Natural_1291786/

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_107134_10001

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-RED-KITE-FEED-ME-BISTRO-BABY-WOODEN-HIGH-CHAIR-/310601970155?pt=UK_Baby_Babay_Feeding_Highchairs_Boosters_LE&hash=item485151f1eb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exclusive-Deluxe-Highchair-Cushion-66551/dp/B008C3TC4C/ref=pd_cp_kh_3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosatto-Pretzel-Highchair-Word-Cocoa/dp/B009A74J60/ref=pd_cp_by_3"

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Ikea Antilop has a detachable tray so you can have baby right at the table.
    No nooks and crannies for food to get caught and smell.

€20. And its a bestseller for the design as well as the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Neyite wrote: »
    The Ikea Antilop has a detachable tray so you can have baby right at the table.
    No nooks and crannies for food to get caught and smell.

€20. And its a bestseller for the design as well as the price.

I agree, this is the one I want and there is no talking to me! My sis said spaghetti bolognese is the worst! She said you want something that you can spray and clean easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

You can take the ikea one into the shower and spray it down for big messes :)

OP, I have a Stokke Handysitt - my friend used to be the Irish distributor before Stokke bought them out. If you like the design of the Tripp trapp the Handisitt might appeal, and it folds flat.

http://www.stokke.com/en-ie/portable-and-travel-accessories/stokke-handysitt/product-information/handysitt.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 38 share bear

clare82 wrote: »
    hi,

im currently looking at high chairs and though i really like the tripp trapp namely for the fact that baby can be part of the family table etc however its really pricey so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative?
    tia
    clare

We got the tripp trapp as a present and I have to say its great. My Lo has been in it since he was 4 months and he loves it. I would never have spent that much on a highchair before but having compared it to a lot of different ones while out and about i think its worth the money.

My only issue with it is it doesn't have the option of a detachable tray and we have a small circular table so there isn't much table space available to him which leaves a lot of mess.

We have the antilop ikea chair in one of the grandparents house and he hates it. We were in a restaurant that had a little wooden ledge that just clipped onto the back of the dining chair and i thought it was very clever and much the same as the top half of the tripp trapp but ive never seen them in any of the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

share bear wrote: »
    We got the tripp trapp as a present and I have to say its great. My Lo has been in it since he was 4 months and he loves it. I would never have spent that much on a highchair before but having compared it to a lot of different ones while out and about i think its worth the money.

My only issue with it is it doesn't have the option of a detachable tray and we have a small circular table so there isn't much table space available to him which leaves a lot of mess.

We have the antilop ikea chair in one of the grandparents house and he hates it. We were in a restaurant that had a little wooden ledge that just clipped onto the back of the dining chair and i thought it was very clever and much the same as the top half of the tripp trapp but ive never seen them in any of the shops.

That sounds like the one in my post above, the handysitt? It's a wooden folding seat, you can get them in a good number of stores, Bella baby in Dundrum is one I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We have the Svan and love it - like the Tripp-Trapp it allows them to sit at the table and the whole this is adjustable.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

We have a Tripp trapp and I really like it. What is great about it is it can also be used by adults so we use it as an extra chair if we need it. I used it for a few weeks after my c section, was a lot easier to sit in than a normal chair. You can adjust it as your child gets bigger so their feet are in a comfortable position and never dangling. It is expensive but you'll use it for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I honestly don't see how the expensive ones are worth the money. We had a cosatto high chair & I got rid of it after only a short time as it was a total pain to clean. Instead I got a booster seat that straps on to the chair and am much much happier with it. Its really easy to clean, the tray fits in the dishwasher, and it doesn't take up anywhere near as much room as the highchair did.
    1%20swing%20tray%20booster-228x228.jpg
    http://worldofwondernursery.com/Safety-1st-Easy-Care-Swing-Tray-Booster-Seat

My 2 1/2 year old is still in it with growing room. Hes been sitting at the table without the tray for about a year.

For my girl (just 4 mths) we got a Bebepod. Same idea but for younger kids, so she can sit at the table with us too now and will be perfect when we start weaning. Plus my toddler fits in it too so I know I'll get plenty of use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was obsessed with the Tripp trapp when my son was a baby but just couldn't justify the cost. It's not just the high chair but all the add ons too.

In the end I got a booster chair with a tray from mothercare for €35 and when he outgrew that and I wanted him to sit at the table with us I got a travel booster seat for €20. I'm using the mothercare one on my daughter now and will move on to the other one next year.

I think they're a nice-to-have but by no means a necessity

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we have a lovely wooden one too that changes in to a seat and table,it is a nightmare to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jmurrayie

There is a Hauck wooden one online in Boots at the moment for €49. It looks good, and table can come off it and is sturdy enough for adult to sit on...

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

OP, as a proud dad of 13 month old twins, I would agree with the feedback from some of the reponders on the IKEA chairs. We bought expensive Chicco chairs for the house, and they are an absolute nightmare to clean, and indeed, even travel with them. We bought the IKEA ones for the grandparents houses and find them fantastic. In my opinion, don't be wastign your money on expensive highchairs.

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 youdneverguess

We have this booster seat:
    http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-baby-bud-with-activity-tray-lime/412317400/type-i/ It's great and you can take it with you when you're visiting grandparents etc. which is handy.

Advertisement