Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Force Wrestling thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rovert wrote: »
    Things are happening.

Hooefully a tv deal from day 1. I know Internet and streams are the future but not the main way at the minute in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

shinzon wrote: »
    hope it does take off but cant help thinking weve been here before with TNA, if Dixie Carters families money cant keep TNA afloat then what hope does anyone else have tbh.

Shin

TNA were starting to make a profit before they splashed out on Hogan, Bischoff, Anderson, Hardy, RVD, Flair etc in quick succession. Without that, they'd likely have been fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think there could be plenty of room for another promotion talent wise. One thing thats become apparent with the WWE in the last year is that they have a hell of a lot of talent and are developing more and more, far more imo than they will be able to use. The question then is if they are able to pay for everyone to stop them competing for smaller companies and if guys are happy just to earn the paycheck instead of having a good career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

TNA better take notice, and use this as motivation to get back in shape. Kind've like when WCW was beating WWF in the Monday Night Wars, and forced them to change their product which led to the attitude era. TNA may not be able to compete with WWE, but they sure as hell can with a new upstart promotion looking to steal their thunder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Jeff Jarrett wrote on Twitter that he would be releasing a video later today with his first comments since departing TNA.

Meanwhile, the potential Jeff Jarrett-Toby Keith project was mentioned during a country music news segment on Sirius XM's The Highway noting that they attempted to purchase TNA Wrestling and since that "apparently fell through" the "founder of TNA" and Keith with all his business acumen are starting their own "massive promotion."

Well then.

• Advertisement

Jarrett('s) has been hyping this a while now. Very vague for the most part so hopefully it isnt a misdirection.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Jarrett('s) has been hyping this a while now. Very vague for the most part so hopefully it isnt a misdirection.

Or worse an MMA company :p

Or worse an MMA company :p

Double J Double M A was pretty awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Really wish somebody other than Jarrett was fronting this. He had his shot at creating an alternative with TNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The thing that gets to me about this new promotion is that this is Toby Keith's money essentially. I just feel like Keith is at risk of blowing his money by investing. Jarrett may be running it, but he doesn't have to worry about losing as much as keith if it all goes bust. Just like with WCW how they were happy to spend all that money on lucrative contracts but it was Ted Turner's money, not Eric's or anybody elses. I just wonder if Keith knows how shady the wrestling business can be.

• Advertisement

Here it is: http://vimeo.com/86575877

Doesnt say anything definitive, but does suggest a promotion alright. Sounds like he is looking to get the talent sorted before making anything official.
    Really wish somebody other than Jarrett was fronting this. He had his shot at creating an alternative with TNA.

Look at it this way, Jarrett created the only company in North America that is anywhere close to WWE. And it was pretty much his first attempt. He is more or less retired now, has built up a ton of connections and has hopefully learned from mistakes. He has a great chance of doing something big. Why should you only get one shot? Look at all the failures Vince McMahon has had through the years and yet he keeps trying to find more stuff to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Look at it this way, Jarrett created the only company in North America that is anywhere close to WWE. And it was pretty much his first attempt. He is more or less retired now, has built up a ton of connections and has hopefully learned from mistakes. He has a great chance of doing something big.

The period at the end of last year where he had more influence in TNA doesn't give me much encouragement that he's learned all that much (same old stuff like Feast or Fired and overbooked finishes). And while TNA have managed to survive as somewhat of an alternative to WWE, they did nearly go bankrupt after three months under Jarrett's helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Slightly off topic how involved was Jarrett with Ring Ka King in India?

Don't know much about it ... but from what I understood the one season it had on TV there was pretty successful, and there was a good bit of talk of the promotion continuing into a second season(Which obviously never transpired).

I know it was backed by TNA, but was under the impression that it was very much Jeff Jarrett's baby.

Sin Eater wrote: »
    Slightly off topic how involved was Jarrett with Ring Ka King in India?

Don't know much about it ... but from what I understood the one season it had on TV there was pretty successful, and there was a good bit of talk of the promotion continuing into a second season(Which obviously never transpired).

I know it was backed by TNA, but was under the impression that it was very much Jeff Jarrett's baby.

Your assumption is correct. It was Jarrett's baby. He was the person who got Endemol involved and made it a reality. Jeff Jarrett and Dava Lagana wrote the show.

I really never grasped why there wasn't a second series. I think it was just a case of the ratings being good but not being good enough. Also Wrestling in India was hard to monetize off the bat due to the amount of poverty there. The crowd was let in for free at the TV tapings.

Sonjay Dutt last week said the show was repeated endlessly for years on India TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Your assumption is correct. It was Jarrett's baby. He was the person who got Endemol involved and made it a reality. Jeff Jarrett and Dava Lagana wrote the show.

I really never grasped why there wasn't a second series. I think it was just a case of the ratings being good but not being good enough. Also Wrestling in India was hard to monetize off the bat due to the amount of poverty there. The crowd was let in for free at the TV tapings.

Sonjay Dutt last week said the show was repeated endlessly for years on India TV.

That sounds about right, rings with something John Cena said about China in the Steve Austin podcast. Something along the lines that China now had a good sized middle class, which more and more makes it an attractive market to break into.

Guess India doesn't have that great a middle class yet.

But with WWE making enemies of traditional media and TNA seemingly on the ropes, now would be the best time to go about setting up a new promotion.

Another Jarrett video:
    http://vimeo.com/87242604

Watch for Karen's whopper earrings

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Insideandout

I'm all for it if they can get it up and running. It'd be cool to have another alternative.

Starting to drag a little now. A lot of hype but no actual news or even confirmation of a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Another Jarrett video http://vimeo.com/87242604 Watch for Karen's whopper earrings

12700224213_52bc7af88d_o.jpg
    "Professionally, we make change"
    ... into earrings? :pac:

• Advertisement

Karen "...Jeff leaving the previous company..."

Still no announcement or anything, just suggestions, but that is some definitive wording. Unless I'm mistaken, it's also the first definitive words on a new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Insideandout

Apparently it's going to be a Tuesday night show. Guess that makes sense since all the other nights are pretty much taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Apparently it's going to be a Tuesday night show. Guess that makes sense since all the other nights are pretty much taken.

Really good market for anything on a tuesday tbh, always have nothing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Was there not talk of recently of Smackdown going live on a Tuesday when the new TV deal comes into effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yep, WWE are aiming to sell a Sunday-Wednesday package on TV; Total Divas, RAW, Smackdown, Main Event. Replacing Smackdown on Friday might make sense for a new company. That said, if the tv companies don't offer more money in return for Smackdown being live, WWE mightn't bother.

Yep, WWE are aiming to sell a Sunday-Wednesday package on TV; Total Divas, RAW, Smackdown, Main Event. Replacing Smackdown on Friday might make sense for a new company. That said, if the tv companies don't offer more money in return for Smackdown being live, WWE mightn't bother.

Why would they when Smackdown is treated like an after thought? They would have to put some serious time and effort into Smackdown in order for it's value to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Why would they when Smackdown is treated like an after thought? They would have to put some serious time and effort into Smackdown in order for it's value to increase.

Because another live broadcast is a massive selling point to networks. The very fact that its live should increase its ratings dramatically.

Whosthis wrote: »
    Because another live broadcast is a massive selling point to networks. The very fact that its live should increase its ratings dramatically.

Not when it's obvious WWE dont care about it.

Live doesnt make a huge difference either. TNA get the exact same rating weather it's live or recorded six weeks in advance. Might see a small bump, but not enough to justify the extra expense in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

They probably have more expense if its prerecorded with all those edits and crowd noises inserted :D.

I don't think WWE don't care about it so much as that they are short of main eventers which is a problem for every event they do. Without the very top guys and the part timers who are only on RAW we get to see what the rest of the roster can do which isn't much. They do have a lot more in ring action so I always considered it a show aimed at the hardcore fans whereas Raw is for everyone.

• Advertisement

TNA seem to be making the eventual tug of love between Jeff and Dixie a lot easier if this is true:
    Some TNA wrestlers are being asked to take less money once their existing contracts expire. In other cases, there are wrestlers with have time left on their deals who have been approached about restructuring their contracts for less pay.

One wrestler noted that former TNA head of talent relations Bruce Prichard approached several wrestlers about restructuring for less pay (roughly half as much in some cases) before their contracts were up, and the same thing is happening now. "Before you know it, they'll be charging wrestlers to perform," a veteran performer cracked.

Powell's POV: TNA has brought in a lot of new talent lately, but the restructuring requests shows that the budget cuts continue. It will be very interesting to see what type of pay the Jeff Jarrett fronted promotion offers and whether that becomes a strong alternative for TNA wrestlers who are unhappy with their pay.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10036087.shtml

Advertisement