Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Force Wrestling thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

The spellcheck lines on the press release are just tragic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Global Farce Wrestling

Too easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm happy enough with it. Dont care about the name or logo or anything like that. I'm just glad it isnt a reality TV show like was rumoured.
    Mediocre website, no attached talent, nothing about a TV deal or any kind of business model. But they do have t-shirts! They shouldn't have launched with this little info.

Not sure what kind of info you were expecting.

You have to have a promotion before you can sign anybody. I'll be very surprised if they go for exclusive talent anyway. It doesnt make sense. Adam Cole for example isnt going to give up his ROH and PWG spots for a GWF spot, but he could very well do it alongside his ROH and PWG work. Nobody worthwhile will give up their spot in other promotions at this stage.

Who knows if they are even planning on doing a weekly TV show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of info you were expecting.

Something more than just a name with a press release in which Jeff Jarrett says nothing. Especially considering he's spent the last few months saying it's coming. Don't do a big reveal unless you actually have some substance behind what you're revealing. Even in the press release, more of that reality wrestling nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rovert wrote: »
    early 1990s

Their website address is incorrect in their Twitter header:
    BkoHwvMCAAAK7U1.png

Gobal

@GFWWrestling? Whats the extra W for??

• Advertisement

Something more than just a name with a press release in which Jeff Jarrett says nothing. Especially considering he's spent the last few months saying it's coming. Don't do a big reveal unless you actually have some substance behind what you're revealing. Even in the press release, more of that reality wrestling nonsense.

That tends to be all you get in stuff like this. The bare bones. Real life isnt like TEW where you can sign everyone you want, get TV deals and PPV deals all sorted in an hour. It takes a hell of a lot longer than that in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jesus that looks awfully Bush League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Complete shambles... TNA and Global Force Wrestling have to be two of the worst names for any promotions ever.

Doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box.

I said a while back people like to complain. All we have is a name and look at the amount of complaints already :pac:

At least give it a chance to do a few shows before complaining about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah like I'm in two minds. One is saying give it time and the other is saying IWW did a better job with their first website/show. Presumably though, Jarrett is smart and has money behind this that isn't just his own, surely he could come up with better. Fair enough as someone else said talent is a different story altogether with contracts etc. But that website literally looks like something I could have done with my own MySpace page when I was 15 using HTTL.

Not that IWW's first show was bad, in fact t was probably one of their best, but I mean in comparison to a company with a top name behind it before anyone gets on their high horse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I know its mentioned above, but it needs to be said again, looks incredibly like one of the generic TEW promotions, graphics straight off 70s tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

In the age we live in currently with regards design and internet tech, there's no excuses tbh. Ugly/lazy effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

yeah totally agree, whatever about not having the budget for ppv deals, big stars etc. The most basic of presentation, i know lads that could easily knock up something far better than that. Your logo is your first impression like, your stamp. Terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Their web site has gotten better and they have announced this:

press-release-april-14.jpg

Guessing that's to do with a TV deal of some sort?

There's someone howlers in the Hollywood Reporter piece here:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/biggest-loser-creator-bring-new-696160

The claim about TNA takes the cake:

BlR5LqaIUAApjMv.jpg

Yay! Another wrestling show...with no wrestling! How inventive. Why are those within the wrestling industry seemingly always so ashamed of wrestling? Is the talent database like all the unsigned wrestlers in TEW (and I like how The Hollywood Reporter says they already have 500 performers)?

Would much rather they did match after match after match. Easy way to set it aside would be to make sure every match means something.

Yay! Another wrestling show...with no wrestling! How inventive. Why are those within the wrestling industry seemingly always so ashamed of wrestling? Is the talent database like all the unsigned wrestlers in TEW (and I like how The Hollywood Reporter says they already have 500 performers)?

500 performers in their talent database~! it should actually read.

Mexico's AAA promotion has a similar format supposedly and a similar Hollywood production backing with a heavy hitter producer: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0122407/ Been forever delayed but supposedly launches for real in 2015.

Is this going to be the wrestling equivalent of the Michael Scott Paper Company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I saw pictures tweeted yesterday with Jeff, Karen and Carlito, then Jay Lethal and then Mickie James each with a slogan along the lines of "Join the Force" or something. The presentation so far has been somewhat lacking but I'm still interested to actually see the promotion launch. It all sounds a little wishy washy but it was Jeff that was behind the original TNA when they actually offered a viable product and I'm somewhat hopeful that GFW will get off to a good start. Carlito and Jay Lethal are solid talents and there's plenty more of their ilk available to build a solid roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I know it's been said about the logo but I'd be convinced that name has been taken straight from the TEW forums. Still I'd be fairly hopeful it could be a worthwhile watch, the talent pool is certainly big enough anyway.

Whosthis wrote: »
    I saw pictures tweeted yesterday with Jeff, Karen and Carlito, then Jay Lethal and then Mickie James each with a slogan along the lines of "Join the Force" or something. The presentation so far has been somewhat lacking but I'm still interested to actually see the promotion launch. It all sounds a little wishy washy but it was Jeff that was behind the original TNA when they actually offered a viable product and I'm somewhat hopeful that GFW will get off to a good start. Carlito and Jay Lethal are solid talents and there's plenty more of their ilk available to build a solid roster.

Mickie James is pregnant so she won't be doing much with them. As far as I know, she and Karen are very good friends so it could have been an accidental tag line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Global Force Wrestling #TheJourney.

Tacky

I think people are expecting WWE level stuff. At the end of the day, it's an Indy company.

I think people are being too harsh, especially considering they haven't even done a show yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think people are expecting WWE level stuff. At the end of the day, it's an Indy company.

I think people are being too harsh, especially considering they haven't even done a show yet.

Well it's the guy who kicked off TNA and supposedly has Toby Keith money behind it... Even on a shoestring halfway decent graphics isn't that much to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Well it's the guy who kicked off TNA and supposedly has Toby Keith money behind it... Even on a shoestring halfway decent graphics isn't that much to be expected.

Fair point (Graphics/site are awful) but I get what gnf is means. Toby Keith is presumably a smart guy/investor, just because he is worth "X" mount of millions doesn't mean he's gonna be an endless supply of money for this new company. He'll invest what he thinks will be enough to earn back what he invested plus some profit, and considering all this promotion has to show (So far, would love to be proven otherwise) is Jeff/Karen Jarrett, amateur edited videos, no T.V deal and no signed talent I imagine he invested very little. But Jeff is going bout it the right way, publicising that a big name has put his name behind the company, hoping others will join and that fans will start talking.

Jarrett is asking people to nominate five wrestlers (four male and one female) that people want to see in GFW.

Must be struggling to cut that database of 500 down :pac:

First Global Force Wrestling thing I've liked/intrigued by:

A bit "oh Mick" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Scott D'Amore attached can only be a good thing.

Advertisement