Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio books website

• 06-01-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I am in the wrong place, I am looking for a website for audio books. As I drive to work for over an hour, I want to listen to something more productive.

I have looked at a few website, but a recommendation from here would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

most libraries allow you to download audio books with your membership card number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

Thanks never taught of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Audible is good but it's pricey enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

judgefudge wrote: »
    Audible is good but it's pricey enough

But you can get one free to try out the service. Try here - but if you do, remember to cancel before the month is out! It's a way to get you to sign up and hope that you forget to cancel, it's about £8 a month...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

https://librivox.org/

Free audio recordings of books in the public domain, read by volunteers. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Audiobooks are shockingly expensive. I know voice acting is expensive, but they would probably shift a lot more copies (which costs nothing) if they dropped the price to 5-8 eur, even if it was after the book's sales have dropped to nothing.

Anyway, here's a number of audiobooks for a really low price on the latest humble bundle. Only one I've read is Blood Meridian, which is worth the asking price alone.

https://www.humblebundle.com/?utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c871ac4d94-newsletter_audiobooks&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-c871ac4d94-100799049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Wyldwood wrote: »
    most libraries allow you to download audio books with your membership card number.

Any local library will have a good selection on CD also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

quickbeam wrote: »
    https://librivox.org/

Free audio recordings of books in the public domain, read by volunteers. I like it.

I also love it but the quality of voice readers is sometimes shocking. When you get a great reader it's brilliant but sometimes it completely ruins the experience.

The 9/11 Commission report is a great example. There are some really excellent readers in the first few chapters and then there is one particular reader who sounds about 14, mispronounces words, mangles sentences and starts again, and often repeats a sentence that they obviously had trouble understanding. Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I also love it but the quality of voice readers is sometimes shocking. When you get a great reader it's brilliant but sometimes it completely ruins the experience.

Yep, especially when it's an extremely English book like a P.G. Wodehouse novel or something and then you get this brash American voice! Just.pure.wrong.

For that reason I kinda hate it. So many just sound terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Has anyone got any recommendations for books on Librivox that are read well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I had only one that I had to delete because of an annoying voice, though I can't remember what it was. Ones I listened to that I liked were:

A Tale of Two Cities - read by multiple readers, some better than others, but none really awful.
    Treasure Island & The 39 Steps - ready by the same guy, both very well read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭migemo

Hi. Would any of you wonderful people know where I could get Stephen Fry's book 'The Fry Chronicles' on audio book? Chapters don't have it and can't order it in. Preferably somewhere in or near Dublin that I could pick it up there and then. Many Many Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

migemo wrote: »
    Hi. Would any of you wonderful people know where I could get Stephen Fry's book 'The Fry Chronicles' on audio book? Chapters don't have it and can't order it in. Preferably somewhere in or near Dublin that I could pick it up there and then. Many Many Thanks.

Eason list it - but out of stock at the moment. Their ordering is usually very prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Does anyone else have problems obtaining audiobooks because of location? There was a particular book previously that I could not find on audiobook anywhere. Audible refused to sell it to be because I was in Ireland but Amazon shipped me the physical copy of the book so I'm a bit perplexed. Other places I tried just didn't have it or was only on CDs and I want to download it directly (easier and cheaper all round).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Celtise wrote: »
    Does anyone else have problems obtaining audiobooks because of location? There was a particular book previously that I could not find on audiobook anywhere. Audible refused to sell it to be because I was in Ireland but Amazon shipped me the physical copy of the book so I'm a bit perplexed. Other places I tried just didn't have it or was only on CDs and I want to download it directly (easier and cheaper all round).
    I think they come under a different part of international copyright law. If the seller is in the UK you could try using parcel motel. It'll cost a little extra (E3-4 afair) but if you really want it. :)

Anyway, I use Audible and found it pretty good value. Once I had the 9-10 volumes I particularly had my eye on I cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I think they come under a different part of international copyright law. If the seller is in the UK you could try using parcel motel. It'll cost a little extra (E3-4 afair) but if you really want it. :)

Anyway, I use Audible and found it pretty good value. Once I had the 9-10 volumes I particularly had my eye on I cancelled.

The physical audiobook is a lot more expensive than the download version but it won't let me buy the download version on audible because of my location! Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Itunes store has an audiobook section, loads of titles but can be as pricey as audible.

There are some bargains here and there if you dont mind rooting though it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Forgot about this thread.

Humble bundle!

Sometimes their weekly deal is audio books. I got some Cormac McCarthy, Rushdie and Burroughs in the last lot.

Advertisement