Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Pylon

Options
  • 06-01-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I live very very close (in my garden) to an electricity pole. I was wondering if there are any laws as the distance the pylon should be from the house? I have enclosed a photo of the pole beside my garage. Look forward to your reply. Juliet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Juliet, just for your own info that looks like a medium voltage pole, 10/20kv rather than a pylon. You might find more information on the esb networks website about relocating the pole, but might be costly because the cable going down the pole would have to be moved or extended. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Screamlol

Davy wrote: »
    Juliet, just for your own info that looks like a medium voltage pole, 10/20kv rather than a pylon. You might find more information on the esb networks website about relocating the pole, but might be costly because the cable going down the pole would have to be moved or extended. 
    Sorry, I was told after I posted that it wasn't a pylon, its a pole. I still don't want it in my garden, there is a huge expanse of unused field beside me. I bought the property in March, and for the last 3 months have had massive static electricity, not sure if its linked, plus I just do not want it there, I have a very very small garden and would like to use what little I have. Thanks for your reply.

I did look on the website but every link I pressed didn't give me the distance by law that a pole should be, or if there is even a law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Screamlol wrote: »
    Sorry, I was told after I posted that it wasn't a pylon, its a pole. I still don't want it in my garden, there is a huge expanse of unused field beside me. I bought the property in March, and for the last 3 months have had massive static electricity, not sure if its linked, plus I just do not want it there, I have a very very small garden and would like to use what little I have. Thanks for your reply.
    Im not sure what exactly you mean by static exactly, but if you are getting shocks from inside the house of metal surfaces like kitchen sink, or appliances etc you need to get an electrician to check this out straight away. This shouldn't have anything to do with the pole in your garden, as it wouldn't be connected in anyway as it is higher voltage.

The pole was possibly their before your house, or was a agreed with the previous owner to be put in that position, so they may not move it for you. It might have been something to research before the purchase but all you can do now is ask networks and see if they will move it for you.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/existing_poles_lines.jsp

Screamlol wrote: »
    Im not sure what exactly you mean by static exactly, but if you are getting shocks from inside the house of metal surfaces like kitchen sink, or appliances etc you need to get an electrician to check this out straight away. This shouldn't have anything to do with the pole in your garden, as it wouldn't be connected in anyway as it is higher voltage.

The pole was possibly their before your house, or was a agreed with the previous owner to be put in that position, so they may not move it for you. It might have been something to research before the purchase but all you can do now is ask networks and see if they will move it for you.

No I give shocks to my cats and sometimes if I touch something I get a shock, like when you rub a balloon on your hair it gets static, I can't touch my hair as I get a shock! And if I take off clothing I crackle with electricity, its driving me nuts! Looks like I will have to put up with the damn pole taking up a 1/4 of my garden. I just wished I knew if there is a law on the distance away from your house they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Davy wrote:
    all you can do now is ask networks and see if they will move it for you.

Thanks for the help with this Davy. Screamlol, if you do decide to follow up with ESB Networks, the above link is the best place to start.
    Screamlol wrote:
    I give shocks to my cats and sometimes if I touch something I get a shock, like when you rub a balloon on your hair it gets static, I can't touch my hair as I get a shock! And if I take off clothing I crackle with electricity, its driving me nuts!

Just in case this helps (though I'm no authority) this article on wikihow goes through some steps on how to reduce static electricity.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Thanks for the help with this Davy. Screamlol, if you do decide to follow up with ESB Networks, the above link is the best place to start.

Just in case this helps (though I'm no authority) this article on wikihow goes through some steps on how to reduce static electricity.

Regards,
    David

Thanks for your help David, I had already read that link you put there, I think where I lived in Kerry in an old stone school house the humidity was higher, this house is well insulated and very dry. I will follow a couple of there pointers and see does it help.
    Kind Regards
    Juliet

Regards,
    David

Thanks for your help David, I had already read that link you put there, I think where I lived in Kerry in an old stone school house the humidity was higher, this house is well insulated and very dry. I will follow a couple of there pointers and see does it help.
    Kind Regards
    Juliet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

You're welcome Screamlol, hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

All the best,
    David

Advertisement