Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5s Broken Need Advice

• 06-01-2014 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I broke my iPhone.. im not going to get into detail how... but there is absolutely no sound ,the mute button at the side does not work, and there is a blue mark on the screen.
    I purchased this phone brand new and sealed on donedeal. And I have had it for roughly two months.
    Where do I go from here, I don't think its likely that it can be repaired, it will have to be replaced. Am I covered by apple??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

If you have AppleCare accidental damage is covered. However if not, Apple will repair it if its a Warranty issue. Which from the sounds of it, its not. So Apple will charge you the pleasure of fixing it. No idea how much it'll set you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

fergusb wrote: »
    If you have AppleCare accidental damage is covered. However if not, Apple will repair it if its a Warranty issue. Which from the sounds of it, its not. So Apple will charge you the pleasure of fixing it. No idea how much it'll set you back.

I went through it on the website and it would cost €250. Would I be able to buy apple care now and be covered?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I went through it on the website and it would cost €250. Would I be able to buy apple care now and be covered?

Nope, has to be bought within 30 days.

What about phone insurance? I was looking into getting it when I bought the phone but I needed a receipt which I obviously did not have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

How did it break though... drop, water damage etc ?

• Advertisement

Mix of liquid & pressure of being sat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Not sure but think he mentioned he won't go into it. You'd need to scroll up to double check. Never mind I did and he doesn't want to go into it

I would recommend to bring it down to an iPhone repair shop and ask for an estimate to fix it, asking Apple to fix it is going to cost a fortune and there is no way of getting it insured after the phone has been damaged...

I would recommend to bring it down to an iPhone repair shop and ask for an estimate to fix it, asking Apple to fix it is going to cost a fortune and there is no way of getting it insured after the phone has been damaged...

I really dont rekon it can be fixed. What would it cost to get a replacement from apple?

I really dont rekon it can be fixed. What would it cost to get a replacement from apple?

Actually try and ring Apple, you never know the person you bought the phone off might have got Apple Care with it... :rolleyes:
    But other than that I don't think Apple will be willing to replace it..

• Advertisement

Actually try and ring Apple, you never know the person you bought the phone off might have got Apple Care with it... :rolleyes:
    But other than that I don't think Apple will be willing to replace it..

Cheers ill give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What about phone insurance? I was looking into getting it when I bought the phone but I needed a receipt which I obviously did not have.

Getting Insurance after its broken isn't going to do you any good, Its like getting your car insured after an accident.
    €250 isn't a bad deal if its as bad as you say it is, all parts are replaceable except the main logic board by any repair shop so once the phone shows some form of life chances are it can be rescued by any repair shop. 5S screens are on the pricey side at the moment, mainly due to being new and nothing else

If I got it done in a repair shop will the quality of the replacement parts be bad? ( When I say bad, I mean not as good as Apples )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's hard to find repair places that use OEM parts to fix iPhones. Even more so for a 5s.

You said it's got liquid damage and you sat on it. Sounds like it would need major repair work if it can be repaired at all.

You said you checked Apples website and it's €250 for out of warranty repair, which is basically means you send in your old device and they send you a new one.

Although I have a feeling Apple don't do out of warranty repair for liquid damaged phones.

Your best bet is to get in touch with them and see what they say.

Rang them today, they said it would cost €261 and they would replace it.
    Im only 16 and don't have this kind of money to fork out. I don't want to be immoral and try and get it done free as I have been saying above but I really don't have the money to get it fixed.
    If I went through the warranty repair process and reported that the sound wasn't working (which is isn't) what are the chances of getting it fixed/replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Rang them today, they said it would cost €261 and they would replace it.
    Im only 16 and don't have this kind of money to fork out. I don't want to be immoral and try and get it done free as I have been saying above but I really don't have the money to get it fixed.
    If I went through the warranty repair process and reported that the sound wasn't working (which is isn't) what are the chances of getting it fixed/replaced?

Apple won't do a warranty replacement since the lcd is damaged and the phone also has liquid damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Unfortunately you have only 2 choices. Pay apple the €261 or hope someone with a 4/4s will swap with you if you add money. As crazy as it sounds some people would do anything to get a newer iPhone.

Advertisement