Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband in Limerick any good?

• 06-01-2014 9:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone use magnet in limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Avoid like the absolute plague. their customer service is appalling when things inevitably go wrong. If you have no other option, go with Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

ninty9er wrote: »
    Avoid like the absolute plague. their customer service is appalling when things inevitably go wrong. If you have no other option, go with Eircom.

thanks they seem the cheapest and no contract for fixed line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Using Digiweb fibre formerly smart telecom ...fantastic customer service and never have any problems would likely recommend ...anyday over Eircon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bigpink wrote: »
    thanks they seem the cheapest and no contract for fixed line

You have to have an Eircom line for Magnet, or at least you used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I had them recommended to me by a friend over a year ago and neither of us have had problems. He's been a customer for longer. Faster than Vodafone was and less downtime (none yet actually). I have heard the horror stories about customer care, but so far have only had to call them once and found them very helpful! Extremely helpful actually!!

They use the eircom lines (as do Vodafone) but have no where near as many customers hence nowhere near as much congestion. Having said that the service has slowed a little during the evening from what it used be, guess that's down to an increasing number of customers.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    You have to have an Eircom line for Magnet, or at least you used to.

The line rental is covered in your monthly bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im with magnet over 2 years, on the 24 mb, but get 8mb-10mb realistically, I have had no complaints whatsoever, Im flat out downloading, I use my own modem/router, (didn't want their provided one) unlimited download means unlimited downloads. Perfect connection for HD netflix and ps3 gaming, and torrents by the gigabytes, not a problem.

Ignore advice from non-magnet customers. If you need to contact customer service....your not doing it right !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Initital setup and customer service around that with them was a pain, and even if you are technical like Stuxnet you can't fix that yourself. Whether this could be attributed to them or Eircom, it's hard to know for sure.

After that, I've had no issues. No contract has it's benefits too - if you run into problems, you can just cut your losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

dont not get magnet worst broadband i ever had in my life ****e it is , if u like really slow and i mean super slow choppy broadband than get it , if u cant get upc go eircom efibre speeds are excellent. oh by the way i would never normally recommend eircom because i had them years ago and it was painful , upc is by far the best , but since i ditched magnet for efibre im very very suprised at the speed of it , i thought it would be dire like magnet but i will say customer service is terrible trying to order it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

have had it since September in the place im living while in college.
    No complaints get 11mb on the 24mb package.
    11mb was all the line can handle at the time so cant ask for any more,
    will probably be upgrading to fibre broadband with them soon since the fibre lines have made it back to our place now.
    Can download all I want and everyone in the house streams everything online and can do it all at the same time at any time during the day without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

It is entirely to do with the distance, route and quality of line to the local station. There are maps out there somewhere showing the details. The important thing to know is that magnet is a low cost reseller.

It is low cost in that it does not spend squat on the service and it is a reseller, so the best you can hope is 85% of the Eircom quality.

You cannot test the line (Magnet cannot either and Eircom will not or will avoid telling you - CER have avoided this issue for 15 years (ten BS reasons)). The only way is to ask your neighbours if they use Eircom/Magnet and to hope they are willing to share the results of a speed test check and what the package details they are using.

One important factor is congestion. We had bad congestion during peak hours with both eircom and then Vodafone (even worse) but after a switch to magnet the service improved no end. Yes it goes through the same local exchange but you might only have a handful of magnet customers sharing their slots vs dozens of Vodafone and hundreds of eircom users sharing their (higher number of) slots.

Advertisement