Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap dog beds

• 06-01-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭

Fed up with replacing expensive dog beds that have been shredded to pieces. So I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.

I was searching on Google earlier and Americans use cot mattresses but the cheapest I could find here was €20.00

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Decent tog single quilt doubled over and a few spare quilt covers makes for easy washing.

My fella is quite good with beds but they are always such a hassle to wash, this makes it much easier. I just change his bedding when I change my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Fed up with replacing expensive dog beds that have been shredded to pieces. So I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.

I was searching on Google earlier and Americans use cot mattresses but the cheapest I could find here was €20.00

Anyone got any ideas?

I don't know where you live or what size your dogs are but there is a curtain shop in nut grove shopping centre (think it's called Nicholls) the sell real cheap dog beds like maybe start at €6 and go to €12 I think. Guineys online used to sell the same ones. They are basically a duvet but not folded over. I was going to buy them but ended up making them myself out of duvet cover and filling of an old single duvet.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8708452/Trail/searchtext%3EDOG+BED.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Decent tog single quilt doubled over and a few spare quilt covers makes for easy washing.

My fella is quite good with beds but they are always such a hassle to wash, this makes it much easier. I just change his bedding when I change my own.

I do this but don't bother with the covers. I bought a single duvet in Ikea - it goes through the washing machine no problem. Fold it up and use it to cover old towels inside a sturdy cardboard box. (I don't need to use the box any more because my lad's grown out of eating his bed, but the duvet is still in use.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I use a large cushion I got in IKEA that is meant for an outdoor chair. It's very thick and the cover is machine washable and seems to be waterproof to a point. It's 30 euro on their website but well worth it imo. I have it over 2 years now and it's still like new. Seems to be only beige on the website but mine is black.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90143405/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

just bought a dog bed yesterday in Heatons, 8 euro - not sure if they are doing different sizes - this one is to fit a large JRT.

I also use old pillows put into a duvet cover folded over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I haven't heard them advertising it yet, but Homestore & More have a selection of dog beds at half price now, including a pillow-type one in various sizes with a fairly durable looking, washable cover.
    In fact, I think borderlinemeath bought some of them last time around, maybe she could give us a critique!

DBB wrote: »
    I haven't heard them advertising it yet, but Homestore & More have a selection of dog beds at half price now, including a pillow-type one in various sizes with a fairly durable looking, washable cover.
    In fact, I think borderlinemeath bought some of them last time around, maybe she could give us a critique!

Oh I have one of the 'dog sofa' ones from their last sale if anyone wants it - I got it for the puppy but she preferred stealing her big brother's bed instead lol so hardly used and in great condition! Will post a pic when I get home!

EDIT - found a pic in my photo stream ;)
    287692.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

I have dog beds in each downstairs room of the house except the kitchen, one of them is a large bed from a pet store, the rest are all duvets folded up inside a duvet cover and sewed shut (basically looks like a massive cushion).... yea, which type do you think they prefer?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have they got more in:eek:!

I think I bought one of every kind!! The covers are thin enough but they all wash well, the best one was a waterproof one, it's a really strong durable cover. Well worth it when they were half price.

TK I have that one, and also the chaise one as my pair love resting their necks on the sides of their beds.

• Advertisement

Oh btw I had the 'dog cot' one too and it was ok for a smaller-medium dog but ours ripped so went in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh I have one of the 'dog sofa' ones from their last sale if anyone wants it - I got it for the puppy but she preferred stealing her big brother's bed instead lol so hardly used and in great condition! Will post a pic when I get home!

EDIT - found a pic in my photo stream ;)
    287692.JPG

Aw that is so adoreable! Would love one of them for my furry babies! Where did you get that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

TK123, dont want the dog-sofa but would take that puppy!!! :D

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Aw that is so adoreable! Would love one of them for my furry babies! Where did you get that one?

Homestore and more when they had their sale a while back. That one has been claimed by a greedy boardsie btw :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Oh I assumed so alright, posted yesterday, no freebies hang around on here :p

Will try to pop out to home store today. Can you remember how much it was last time?

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Oh I assumed so alright, posted yesterday, no freebies hang around on here :p

Will try to pop out to home store today. Can you remember how much it was last time?

I think it was €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks All. I'll probably go with the duvet for now. Aldi have them for €12 and then throw some old duvet covers over it.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-5th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/bounce-back-duvet-single/

In case anyone is looking Homestore and More in Blanch have dog beds on sale! They have the waterproof ones, one similar to the one in my pic but boxed on all all side, chaise type ones and one that is covered up one one end - slipper beds I think they're called?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Homestore and more when they had their sale a while back. That one has been claimed by a greedy boardsie btw :p

I think it'd be fairer to have described that boardsie as sharp-eyed, quick-off-the-mark, kind, generous, and exceptionally beautiful.
    Just sayin'

:P

I think it'd be fairer to have described that boardsie as sharp-eyed, quick-off-the-mark, kind, generous, and exceptionally beautiful.
    Just sayin'

:P

You got it!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mr Price (Coolock and Blanchardstown) sell them for a fiver. A few of the bigger two euro shops sell them for six.

Thanks All. I'll probably go with the duvet for now. Aldi have them for €12 and then throw some old duvet covers over it.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-5th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/bounce-back-duvet-single/

Went into my local this evening to pick up a single for my lad, loads of double and king size but not a single left in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went into my local this evening to pick up a single for my lad, loads of double and king size but not a single left in the place.

Dunnes have them for €11.50! :)

Actually if anybody is looking for cheap crates I noticed these ones last night...

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=771&pf_id=57837

Delivery to Ireland from that site is £10stg but if you're buying other stuff it works out cheaper than jebbtools.

Actually if anybody is looking for cheap crates I noticed these ones last night...

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=771&pf_id=57837

Delivery to Ireland from that site is £10stg but if you're buying other stuff it works out cheaper than jebbtools.

Those are good prices for crates, maybe put it in the animal bargain alerts thread as well.

Dunnes have them for €11.50! :)

Thanks Gloomstastic, any idea what tog?

Those are good prices for crates, maybe put it in the animal bargain alerts thread as well.

Forgot about that one!

Advertisement