Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Experiments on exam?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just wondering for the science exam for the Mocks and the Junior Cert do you learn all the experiments in the book. Im not sure if all books are the same but we have exploring science and the experiments are titled either Activity or Mandatory Activity. The Mandatory Activity is the ones we have to write in the experiment booklet but are they the only experiments that will come up on the exams? Or do we have to know the activities (they are more basic experiments) too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Just wondering for the science exam for the Mocks and the Junior Cert do you learn all the experiments in the book. Im not sure if all books are the same but we have exploring science and the experiments are titled either Activity or Mandatory Activity. The Mandatory Activity is the ones we have to write in the experiment booklet but are they the only experiments that will come up on the exams? Or do we have to know the activities (they are more basic experiments) too?

Just know everything in the book. From a small test such as "The test for oxygen" to the "Titration of salt" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I have Exploring Science as well. :) You do need to know all the Mandatory activities but the other activities are simpler as you said. It certainly wont do any harm knowing them but if you one everything else related to the topic, you should be able to use your knowledge to answer the questions in the Junior Cert. For example; as long as you know Limewater turns milky in the presence of Carbon Dioxide the experiments relating to that should be easy to aswer on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

All experiments, not just mandatory, can come up on exams. Question: Is there a way to predict them? I don't want to learn ALL OF THEM, and if there's one you miss out on and don't know it, you may get 0 marks for it, and a lot of marks go for describing experiments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Pretty sure there's no way to predict the experiments but there's typically one experiment per section (i.e one in chem, bio and phys)
    "Testing A Leaf For Starch" comes up quite frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

Liordi wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's no way to predict the experiments but there's typically one experiment per section (i.e one in chem, bio and phys)
    "Testing A Leaf For Starch" comes up quite frequently

I checked the last few years, and the amount of experiments vary. Sometimes there's 3, 1 for Bio, chem and physics. Sometimes there's only 1 in total, sometimes there's 2 in 1 section etc. Some experiments have been repeated but most of them haven't come up ever, or at least in the recent years

• Advertisement
Advertisement