Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature maths grinds?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    Plan on returning to education sep 2014/15 not quite sure yet.
    Planning on doing mech eng in Dit if I get in.
    I'm quite worried about the maths as iv just turned 27 and only got a d1 in ord level. Admittedly I didn't do a tap in school but just wondering did anybody do engineering from a similar LC level?
    And also any tradesmen go back and do it?
    And finally is there anywhere that I can do maths grinds?
    Looking to set up a twice weekly class if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭clancynl

Bit off topic, but

https://www.khanacademy.org/

a good (free) online resource to check your level, and learn some more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Came across this today. Not sure if its any use: http://www.studygeek.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Where are you living dc5dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dc5dave

Living in meath but very close to dublin. So dublin somewhere would
    be where I'm looking to do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dc5dave wrote: »
    Hi,
    Plan on returning to education sep 2014/15 not quite sure yet.
    Planning on doing mech eng in Dit if I get in.
    I'm quite worried about the maths as iv just turned 27 and only got a d1 in ord level. Admittedly I didn't do a tap in school but just wondering did anybody do engineering from a similar LC level?
    And also any tradesmen go back and do it?
    And finally is there anywhere that I can do maths grinds?
    Looking to set up a twice weekly class if possible.

I was in the same boat as you last year. Nearly 30 and only had ordinary level maths D2 (which doesnt really count as it was over 10 years ago), hadnt done any maths from 2001- 2013. Im now in UCD studying for a theoretical physics degree.

My advice is, start studying maths NOW. Get some leaving cert books and go through them, you will need a working LC level knowledge in maths (maybe even a higher level LC knowledge, depending how much math is in your course). I did self-study last year and I am glad I did, because if I hadnt I would probably have had to drop a lot of modules. I still find it hard and I wished I had done even more before I got to UCD, but its doable. I am also still thinking about getting grinds for some topics partcularily applied math and probably will at some stage. But before that I am still going through LC maths books to catch up. The problem is, if you did your LC a long time ago, it was completly different then, now in LC maths there is more statistics/probability/calculus etc which you may not have covered before, definitley try learn calculus before you get to college as it is much harder catching up when you are also doing a load of modules that require time. In saying that, if you put some time in before you go, you will be fine, you maybe running at a different pace to all the fresh young students, but you'll get there. Also find what type of learning you prefer, visual, audiable, written etc and go with it. For instance I found khan academy terrible for myself as I am not really a visual learner, I prefer textbooks, but some people love visual learning and can learn anything from videos online.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Ya get studying, chances are you'll have to pass an entry maths exam to be accepted. Many matures that enter through the access route and want to do maths or engineering have to complete an exam as part of entry requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Start doing Maths now, and continue to do Maths on a daily basis from now until you walk into the course. It would be impossible to do too much preperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dc5dave

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Is there anywhere I can just do leaving cert maths in the evenings?
    As in attend classes in the eve for a year and do the exam at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

There's load of online resources like Khan Academy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dc5dave wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Is there anywhere I can just do leaving cert maths in the evenings?
    As in attend classes in the eve for a year and do the exam at the end?

Check your local ETB/VEC for night classes.

**edit Sorry, I see you're talking Meath/Dublin.
    Rathmines College, Coláiste Dhúlaigh, Coolock, and Crumlin College (all City of Dublin ETB) have a year long Ordinary Level Maths course, starts each September for the exam the following year. Depending on demand, they may also offer Higher Level. I'm not familiar with Louth/Meath ETB.

Advertisement