Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for drinks/dinner with Mam?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a nice place to take my Mam for dinner and drinks after?

We're due a night out and we rarely venture into the City centre, so thought it'd be nice to have a meal and a few drinks afterwards.
    Anywhere nice?

Not interested in touristy/blokey pubs.

Thanks a million!

PS Not necessarily weekend either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a nice place to take my Mam for dinner and drinks after?

We're due a night out and we rarely venture into the City centre, so thought it'd be nice to have a meal and a few drinks afterwards.
    Anywhere nice?

Not interested in touristy/blokey pubs.

Thanks a million!

PS Not necessarily weekend either.

Peters pub and the Chatham lounge are cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What type food you fancy?
    How old is your Mum? Range wise?
    Would she appreciate fancy food / fancy location or just good food ?
    There's really a lot to choose.
    Trocedero perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What type food you fancy?
    How old is your Mum? Range wise?
    Would she appreciate fancy food / fancy location or just good food ?
    There's really a lot to choose.
    Trocedero perhaps?

We're not that picky when it comes to food..we like Italian/Indian/Chinese/Japanese.
    My Mam is 50.

She wouldn't be into fancy food but I don't want to bring her for a bag of chips either!
    Just nice decent food, not too dear..we're down-to-earth.
    Not a fancy location either.

Just a nice meal, nice atmosphere then somewhere cool or cosy for a drink afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My Mam and I like

- The Exchequer
    - The wine bar in Fallon & Byrne
    - Market Bar

They're all places that you can have a nice, casual but still lovely meal and drinks afterwards and they're in a good area to go for a wander if you want to move off after your meal for drinks.

If we're feeling fancy a window table in the Winding Stair is in order & if I didn't know she would be full on horrified by the prices I'd take her across the Liffey to the Liquour Rooms for a drink afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bull & Castle does really nice, reasonably priced food. Myself and my wife have brought our parents there. It's informal, friendly attentive staff.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would stay away from The Market Bar, the food is terrible and it is uncomfortable.

There is a great Italian on the batchlor's walk called terra madra. Pub wise maybe the Duke or The Library Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

My Dad and I go out for dinner and drinks often, and neither of us likes touristy/blokey places.
    We like to go to the Library Bar in the Central Hotel, then on to one of the nearby Japanese places - Ukiyo is a favourite, as they have nice tables for two at the windows, then usually back to the Library Bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I like the sound of Bull & Castle, then perhaps the Library in Central Bar...that sounds perfect!
    Thanks for your suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Vintage Kitchen and then Mulligans next door on Poolbeg Street?

Vintage Kitchen and then Mulligans next door on Poolbeg Street?

I wouldn't rate Mulligans as cosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I wouldn't rate Mulligans as cosy.
    Depends on day of the week and time of day. You can get the little room at the back of the bar to yourself if you're lucky and some of the tables near the bar can be "cosy" if it's not too busy. Wouldn't have thought it was much less cosy than Peter's Pub.

Depends on day of the week and time of day. You can get the little room at the back of the bar to yourself if you're lucky and some of the tables near the bar can be "cosy" if it's not too busy. Wouldn't have thought it was much less cosy than Peter's Pub.

Decor wise Peter's pub is superior, more comfortable chairs, the bar man will bring you over your pint and change on a quiet day. Mulligans I would rate as a more functional pub, great pints and atmosphere. Possibly a more vibrant going-out crowd than Peters Pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Fallon & Byrne and then the Library which is near by.

Advertisement