Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Education question

• 06-01-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just a quick question. I'm a 24year old quailified mechanic but don't have a leaving certificate, I have my junior cert and I've done a couple of night courses along the way. Do I Pass the education requirements for AGS??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Specifically, what qualifications did you recieve from those courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shane d

Nothing as good as a leaving cert. Insurance assessor and personal trainer. Would my mechanics qualification cover me?

Shane d wrote: »
    Nothing as good as a leaving cert. Insurance assessor and personal trainer. Would my mechanics qualification cover me?

Its hard to say, I mean unless you were instructed at some point that your qualification was say, level 5 or 6 for example at some point during its undertaking, then I would doubt its of sufficient complexity.

Try and find more information about the qualification, I'm sure whatever body gave you the certification would be able to tell you what level it is.

Keep in mind, even if it does happen to be level 5 or higher, you must still undertake the irish language assessment during the application process as you do not have a leaving cert or any other certification covering a second language at level 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yes.
    (ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of
    Qualifications (NFQ), or

That's taken from the public jobs website. A qualified apprentice holds a level 6 Certificate
    On successful completion of your apprenticeship, a FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate Craft is awarded.

Thats from the FAS website

Yes.

That's taken from the public jobs website. A qualified apprentice holds a level 6 Certificate

Thats from the FAS website

Thats grand so, keep in mind the Irish assessment though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hope that this goes well for you. I know a few qualified mechanics who joined in the past. Their qualifications really stood to them when they were seeking P.S.V. inspectors and such like down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shane d

Thanks for all the helpful replys. Really appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Hey everyone, I have ordinary english but only foundation irish at leaving cert level, but since then I've got a degree, how will that stand in terms of educational requirements??

seanog84 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I have ordinary english but only foundation irish at leaving cert level, but since then I've got a degree, how will that stand in terms of educational requirements??

You've a level 7 qualification so you're grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Yeah I just wasn't sure with the 2 languages thing, but thanks, hope you're right!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I just wasn't sure with the 2 languages thing, but thanks, hope you're right!!

Not quite, as far as I know it must be at ordinary level for both languages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hopefull2014

Just wondering if you have level 6 and 7 qualifications but no leaving cert so no english or irish exams what happens?? does this mean you are out straight away? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Hitchroun wrote: »
    Not quite, as far as I know it must be at ordinary level for both languages now.
    Just wondering if you have level 6 and 7 qualifications but no leaving cert so no english or irish exams what happens?? does this mean you are out straight away? thanks

Hitchroun is correct.
    If you do not have the languages you do not qualify.
    However, PAS have stated that you may sit an exam to assess your ability in stead of qualifications. So you might want to get studying the modh choinníollach :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

I'm curious about the language requirement. I have leaving cert English, Irish and French, all higher level, grades C1, C1 and A1. Now according to the listed requirements, I have my two languages. However, I sat my leaving cert 15 years ago and I can barely remember any Irish or French. How do they tell what your current language abilities are??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

You just have to have them, they are not going to test your abilities in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

stargazer9 wrote: »
    I'm curious about the language requirement. I have leaving cert English, Irish and French, all higher level, grades C1, C1 and A1. Now according to the listed requirements, I have my two languages. However, I sat my leaving cert 15 years ago and I can barely remember any Irish or French. How do they tell what your current language abilities are??

Someone mentioned that they do a crash course in Irish if you get into Templemore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

redout wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that they do a crash course in Irish if you get into Templemore.

"Cursa timpiste"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Padraigog

I did my Leaving Cert a few years ago but failed maths.. Will this be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Padraigog wrote: »
    I did my Leaving Cert a few years ago but failed maths.. Will this be a problem?

There are three kinds of people applying for AGS. Those who passed maths, and those that didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

endacl wrote: »
    There are three kinds of people applying for AGS. Those who passed maths, and those that didn't.

I don't think it even mentions maths. Does it not say that you have to have passed a minimum amount of subjects? I think it's six? plus two languages?

I'm probably wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I don't think it even mentions maths. Does it not say that you have to have passed a minimum amount of subjects? I think it's six? plus two languages?

I'm probably wrong

Previous campaigns you had to have minimum D3 ordinary level maths at L Cert. However they have taken that specific requirement away they even took it down off Garda.ie it used to b answer to one the FAQs on website.

They've also said that L cert applied is no longer an option

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

Yeah you definitely had to have at least a D3 in OL Maths

My friend applied for the Gaurds and is sitting her leaving this year, she wont have her results until August though and the first intake is is in July? I don't think they are that strict on LC requirements this year. I think its just 5 passed subjects you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Padraigog wrote: »
    My friend applied for the Gaurds and is sitting her leaving this year, she wont have her results until August though and the first intake is is in July? I don't think they are that strict on LC requirements this year. I think its just 5 passed subjects you need.

eh, well then she certainly won't be getting called in this years intake. Why in the name of god would you think they will not be strict? This is an open and shut case. She has not obtained the LC as of yet, hence she won't be considered at this time.

Edit:
    To be eligible for selection as a Trainee, an applicant must:

(6) (A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level, or
    (ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
    (iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
    assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

Doesn't mention Maths, English or Irish as a specific requirement which is great, Just says 5 subjects at Ordinary Level!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

They changed the requirments this year, you need an LC or fetac 5, by the way the days of getting into the gardai straight out of school are over, no more young gardai still wet behind the ear!

thekopend wrote: »
    They changed the requirments this year, you need an LC or fetac 5, by the way the days of getting into the gardai straight out of school are over, no more young gardai still wet behind the ear!

I'm not sure that will be the case kopend. Garda management will be looking for the cheapest option, as they are working with minimum funds.

So in order to get 30/35 years service from gardai they wud be more inclined to hire a 20 yr old than 30+ year old and get their money's worth out of them. Each place in the college amounts to a serious amount of money over 32weeks

I do agree with you but when I say what I said I mean that they won't take on 18/19 year olds and more so 22 to 26 or 27 in my opinion. They can pick the best possible candidates and I don't think and 18 year old will make a great garda until they have a bit more maturity. People may have got in a few years ago at that age but that was a case of the best candidates from a small selection. I also think they will have more value in a 25 year old as opposed to a 34 year old for the reasons stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

I think you all don't know what your talking about they will take the best of the best, END OF THAT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I think you all don't know what your talking about they will take the best of the best, END OF THAT

Moderator post: Infracted for Back seat Modding.

I (or one of my co-mods) will decide when the discussion is over, not you or anyone else. You will not dictate whether someone may or may not post on this subject or on this thread.

As this is a Moderator post, no reply on it, or on the offending post itself is permitted.

Please let's get this back on-topic.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

thekopend wrote: »
    People may have got in a few years ago at that age but that was a case of the best candidates from a small selection

But the competition has around the same number of candidates as before remaining? Presuming you still include tho in band 2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Surely they will just take the best recuirts the don't just pluck age limit out of the air they are there for a reason. The only thing I don't agree with is a person who is 34 now after 30 year service will be 64 surely that's to old to be a garda on the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Surely they will just take the best recuirts the don't just pluck age limit out of the air they are there for a reason. The only thing I don't agree with is a person who is 34 now after 30 year service will be 64 surely that's to old to be a garda on the front line.

My trainer is 59, he's well able to handle himself, only looks about 45 too

billie1b wrote: »
    My trainer is 59, he's well able to handle himself, only looks about 45 too

What does he train you ?

D Trent wrote: »
    What does he train you ?

Self defence

• Advertisement

Self defence

Cool, did you do classes because you were interested in that area or do you need to have it for work?

Cool, did you do classes because you were interested in that area or do you need to have it for work?

Been doing them a bit now as I was interested in it, upped the game though since the Garda recruitment drive, been training extra and so on

Been doing them a bit now as I was interested in it, upped the game though since the Garda recruitment drive, been training extra and so on

You're gonna be used as the punch bag in training in Templemore now you kno!

You're gonna be used as the punch bag in training in Templemore now you kno!

Ah sure i'm used to that, I don't mind, anything that helps people advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I know many 18 year olds who think they are gonna get accepted this time round. Being honest i'm 21 now and i'm thinking of leaving it for a few years and hopefully be in a position to get accepted when i'm 24-25.

At least that gives me a realistic chance.. My goal was always to become a detective by the time i'm thirty..Not sure that's gonna happen but ya never know lol

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    I know many 18 year olds who think they are gonna get accepted this time round. Being honest i'm 21 now and i'm thinking of leaving it for a few years and hopefully be in a position to get accepted when i'm 24-25.

At least that gives me a realistic chance.. My goal was always to become a detective by the time i'm thirty..Not sure that's gonna happen but ya never know lol
    lol ? really like

mfergus wrote: »
    But the competition has around the same number of candidates as before remaining? Presuming you still include tho in band 2 and 3.

Ya the remaining candidates are people who would have passed the aptitude in previous campaigns. Before you might have 11k people applying to do 1 apptitude and maybe 3 to 4 k pass that single apptitude. Now u had 26k applying and 12,500 have passed the standard that before only 3 to 4k would have passed. Thus it has to be cut even finer which leads into finer quality candidates and more of a selection to pick from so that they can get exactly who they want Not just people who meet the requirements

Lads,

Do you think the educational requirments will ever go back to the way they were as in accepting the LCA? I always thought it was a strange move and I never really got any proper explanation from any goverment office I emailed as to why the dropped it..

Lads,

Do you think the educational requirments will ever go back to the way they were as in accepting the LCA? I always thought it was a strange move and I never really got any proper explanation from any goverment office I emailed as to why the dropped it..

I would be extremely surprised if they reverted the changes.

They made the changes as the supply of potential entrants has greatly outmatched the actually demand of garda recruits. I can only assume they made the change to lessen the possible number of applications for the positions.

Hitchroun wrote: »
    I would be extremely surprised if they reverted the changes.

They made the changes as the supply of potential entrants has greatly outmatched the actually demand of garda recruits. I can only assume they made the change to lessen the possible number of applications for the positions.

I'm sure the demand for these jobs will decline in the next few years surely. I mean 3 years is a long time till next recruitment. That's why I was thinking they might go back to the 'old' educational requirments..

I'm sure the demand for these jobs will decline in the next few years surely. I mean 3 years is a long time till next recruitment. That's why I was thinking they might go back to the 'old' educational requirments..

There is no reason to believe they won't be recruiting again next year, as the minister has stated he intends to replace 3-400 every year.

I would think it unlikely they will rule out any new eligible candidates for the next 3 years.

They may change the requirements in 3 years, but that would most likely require a huge change economically on a national level.

Edit:

Wait it would seem you are correct about not running a competition each year, as per this link:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-15a.1540

It would appear they intend to use this competition for the next three years without allowing any new applications. That is very disappointing.

Yep, the panels for the next three years will be made up from the current recruitment drive

Advertisement