Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berghaus Optimus 40L Wheeled Travel Bag

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

This is a really good cabin bag. RRP: €120 at Berghaus.

On sale at Amazon at the moment for around €36 including delivery.

Note: This may be a little high for Ryanair's allowance but you might just get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Damien85

good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

it has been on sale on amazon for £45 for the last year, so this is at a low price but it was never 120 on amazon.
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Berghaus-Optimus-Wheeled-Travel-Bag/product/B007C0MUI6

its fairly heavy at 2.8kg if ryanair do enforce their 10kg limit, you are over a quarter of the way there before you put anything into it.

ryanairs max cabin bag size is 55x40x20.
    this berghaus bag is 56x35x27, so if you pack it full it wont fit, because it will be too fat.
    so you will have less than the 40l of space advertised.

i always reccomend cabin max bags, they are made exactly to fit ryanair and other airlines maximium sizes so you get the full 55x40x20 space (44l), and they are also much lighter.

this one is the best in my opinion, it costs £25 and weighs only 660 grams :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389047417&sr=8-1&keywords=cabin+max
    (no wheels)

if you really need a bag with a handle and wheels cabin max have one that costs £35 and weighs 1.7kg :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Approved-Lightweight-Backpack/dp/B005C3QKF4/ref=pd_sim_sg_15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Quite heavy (2.8kg) but I never been checked for cabin bag weight (by Ryanair) - just size.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zom wrote: »
    Quite heavy (2.8kg) but I never been checked for cabin bag weight (by Ryanair) - just size.

Yup, I've often had my Cabin Max packed with 15kg worth of stuff *

I think it has more to do if you look like you can lift the bag up by yourself quickly. If you look young and healthy they wont check.

Compression bags allow me to carry 2 weeks worth of close in one of these! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

green123 wrote: »
    it has been on sale on amazon for £45 for the last year, so this is at a low price but it was never 120 on amazon.
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Berghaus-Optimus-Wheeled-Travel-Bag/product/B007C0MUI6

its fairly heavy at 2.8kg if ryanair do enforce their 10kg limit, you are over a quarter of the way there before you put anything into it.

ryanairs max cabin bag size is 55x40x20.
    this berghaus bag is 56x35x27, so if you pack it full it wont fit, because it will be too fat.
    so you will have less than the 40l of space advertised.

i always reccomend cabin max bags, they are made exactly to fit ryanair and other airlines maximium sizes so you get the full 55x40x20 space (44l), and they are also much lighter.

this one is the best in my opinion, it costs £25 and weighs only 660 grams :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389047417&sr=8-1&keywords=cabin+max
    (no wheels)

if you really need a bag with a handle and wheels cabin max have one that costs £35 and weighs 1.7kg :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Approved-Lightweight-Backpack/dp/B005C3QKF4/ref=pd_sim_sg_15

The OP never said it was €120 on Amazon.

I have both CabinMax bags above. The first one is an excellent bag and very well made. It's done a lot of miles with me without much wear and tear. The wheeled one is much poorer quality, I'd go so far as to describe it as flimsy. Definitely not comparable to the Berghaus bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Watch out for the 10kg. Fly from Frankfurt Hahn and you will be checked every time right after security. The same at some Italian airports. It's airport staff who are often worse than Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Have this bag and it's great. Very solid and sturdy and lots of different sections. Haven't even taken it on a flight yet, so can't speak for how the airlines react to it.
    But if you google 'Berghaus Optimus 40L ryanair', there seems to be a lot of people saying Ryanair were grand with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i have seen ryanair in Cork weighing bags at the gate last year and making people spread the load or pay up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I find the problem with my Cabin Max bag is I can fit too much into it - I always have the sweats at Ryanair in case my dimensions are too big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I've got the Cabin Max bag linked above as well, the one without the handle, and it's great. Plenty of room in it for a week or even more away and barely gets a glance at check-ins. I'm not sure about delivery, but it's available for £17.99 from the The Hut at the moment, too, so might be even cheaper than Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

These days it seems arbitrary but in the future I think every bag will be checked.
    I was at an airport over a year ago and they were checking bag weights with a small handheld digital scale like the type used to weigh a fishermans catch.

Also, last year I got stung for having a 15kg handheld bag on the way back from munich. It was a backpack... my wife went mad on pressies.... cost me way more than a normal checked in bag had I done it online.

I'm going to get a small bag so that will be impossible in future, but it will also be a very lightweight bag. That cabin max looks the job!

Edit: as above it was airport staff. The aerlingus checkin que was so long the airport staff opened a second gate and she was eyeing up my backpack from a distance and its the first thing she said to me!

Advertisement