Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do people actually still not like the English?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

People who choose to get involved in the IRA know what they are doing and why they are doing it, terrorism.

Can you say the same about people getting involved in the British army?

Well I disagree. The motive of many young disillusioned nationalists who joined up, circa 1969, after Bloody Sunday, wasn't terrorism. Only an idiot would say it was. The organisation lost all sight of what it was fighting for in the end, just like the British Army, UDA, UVF and all involved. So either they are all terrorists, or none are. That simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I disagree. The motive of many young disillusioned nationalists who joined up, circa 1969, after Bloody Sunday, wasn't terrorism. Only an idiot would say it was. The organisation lost all sight of what it was fighting for in the end, just like the British Army, UDA, UVF and all involved. So either they are all terrorists, or none are. That simple

*sighs* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've been to England as well and while i'd agree that the people of Liverpool whom I interacted with were very welcoming to me I'd say there are plenty of others that wouldn't have been.

It's not the English people that are the problem - but the monarch above them.

Bad people aswell as good people everywhere it goes without saying really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

You know the British army still exists right?

And what happened in 1969?

mike65 wrote: »
    *sighs* ;)

I had the year of the IRA split in my head, not that it changes the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

To clarify I dont "hate" the English .I just don't like them although I would have no problem with the people ,more I hate there views on "ye started all the trouble" when this is clearly not through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

People who choose to get involved in the IRA know what they are doing and why they are doing it, terrorism.

Can you say the same about people getting involved in the British army?

When they shot Irish kids dead it was terrorism, state sponsored. When they colluded with the Glennane Gang to murder 120 plus unarmed Irish civilians in the 70's, it was terrorism. When they colluded with Loyalists to murder more, it was terrorism.

And to rub the salt in, they got away with it without any convictions for supposedly an army which has the moral high ground over the IRA. And yes the beef is with the British establishment, not English people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

vermin99 wrote: »
    To clarify I dont "hate" the English .I just don't like them although I would have no problem with the people ,more I hate there views on "ye started all the trouble" when this is clearly not through

How do you know they all share that view?

Besides, any English person I've met does not automatically blame me for the Troubles. Why would they?

You know the British army still exists right?

And what happened in 1969?

Jaysus, they still exist???? Did you go to Cambridge University by any chance, because you're just so smart man. You even look smarter when your trying to be condescending, and distracting the point from what was actually said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Is this really meant to be a 'NI Troubles thread' or has it just turned out that way :cool:

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    When they shot Irish kids dead it was terrorism, state sponsored. When they colluded with the Glennane Gang to murder 120 plus unarmed Irish civilians in the 70's, it was terrorism. When they colluded with Loyalists to murder more, it was terrorism.

And to rub the salt in, they got away with it without any convictions for supposedly an army which has the moral high ground over the IRA. And yes the beef is with the British establishment, not English people in general.

And the people currently in the British army? Are they terrorists because they signed up as a JOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

You can hate the monarch and the English government, it annoys me when people slag a republican for wearing a man u t-shirt because they're an english team, any educated republican doesn't hate everyone in Britain for something the monarch or government done, or there's nothing more annoying than a barstool republican claiming they hate the whole english population:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

LordSutch wrote: »
    Is this really meant to be a 'NI Troubles thread' or has it just turned out that way :cool:

You forgot the beret on your smiley.

And the people currently in the British army? Are they terrorists because they signed up as a JOB?

Are the members of the IRA who never killed anyone terrorists? You'll answer your own question that way then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You can hate the monarch and the English government, it annoys me when people slag a republican for wearing a man u t-shirt because they're an english team, any educated republican doesn't hate everyone in Britain for something the monarch or government done, or there's nothing more annoying than a barstool republican claiming they hate the whole english population:rolleyes:

Practice cultural xenophobia = 'you republicans are worse than the taleban.'

Don't practice cultural xenophobia =' you republicans are hypocrites and thicks.'

Tropheus wrote: »
    You forgot the beret on your smiley.

Specially for you > http://rlv.zcache.com/beret_smiley_t_shirts-r54343b84734845d9b13949371bae0948_vjfef_512.jpg

Its not an English beret though.

Are the members of the IRA who never killed anyone terrorists? You'll answer your own question that way then

Yes they are. They signed up to a terrorist organisation.

People in the BA signed up to an Army, not a terrorist organisation.

Is there a way I could make this easier for you to understand? Illustrations maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Is there a way I could make this easier for you to understand? Illustrations maybe?

:pac:

So you would consider it grand for the English government to lock up 2 of my cousins for a year,without charge .Or all the hardship they have caused particarly on my mother's side ,with the British army's shootings arrests,reprisals.........its always being taught to me to not like them .After reading this thread Its opened up my mind .its not the people I have a major problem with,its thearmy,govermant ,monarch ,........although they can be snobby aswell but sure

• Advertisement

Oh please the BA are the biggest terrorists in the world along with the US army, could never mind their own business, then play the victim when people rebel, how can you be a terrorist in your own country.

First sentence, you've answered your own question then

Oh please the BA are the biggest terrorists in the world along with the US army, could never mind their own business, then play the victim when people rebel, how can you be a terrorist in your own country.

Your last sentence/question negates your entire post. None of the Al Qaeda lads were terrorists when they were in their own country? Saddam? I'm sure he was a lovely man.

Yes, but just because they signed up to a state body doesn't give it or them a free pass.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-Europe

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup

Currently this thread is turing out to be an IRA Vs British army thread, and God knows, we've had enough of them in 2013. So I have an idea!

Why don't we talk about the English, as in "the English people" as a nationality and why we Hate (or don't hate them) as a multicultural nation.

Your last sentence/question negates your entire post. None of the Al Qaeda lads were terrorists when they were in their own country? Saddam? I'm sure he was a lovely man.

The Americans and English went in to Iraq claiming there were weapons in there but no ,no weapons ,so as said before couldn't mind there own business.Same as afghanistan ,the taliban or al quedia wouldn't exist If it wasn't for western interference in the first place

• Advertisement

Unfollow!

LordSutch wrote: »
    Currently this thread is turing out to be an IRA Vs British army thread, and God knows, we've had enough of them in 2013. So I have an idea!

Why don't we talk about the English, as in "the English people" as a nationality and why we Hate (or don't hate them) as a multicultural nation.

I've nothing against them. Despise Tories and the like, but that's not something alien to England itself.

Unfollow!

As punishment for thine sins over the celebration of our Lords Birth, thou canst not unfollow, ever. And thou shalt read each and every post not once, not twice, but thrice times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Well I have no problem with "the English" but I honestly believe some branches of their military breath hate for Irish people, in my line of work I encounter allot of formour Brit soldiers some grand some absolute pigs.
    An example is on one occasion when at work on a rig in the English sector in the North Sea four of our eight man crew were changed out for four completely new lads (former soliders) at a tool box talk that morning the four lads referred to an engineer who left the room as a "sterotypical stupid Irish man" they went on to say "ya know they thought Iraqis how to make IED's" I remained silent while the rest of the crew just looked at me awkwardly then after some more insults I decided to introduce myself at the meeting, on hearing my accent these lads turned pale, on hearing I was their boss they went transparent. They were sent home the next day and hit with massive bills for their training, who's laughing now fcukers:)
    Another example is once on another rig I sat in the smoke room and over heard a lad refer to some soccer player as an Irish cu#t when a Scottish friend (stirring sh#t) asked him was the player a **** because he scored or because he was Irish he said both and laughed along with his friends I just laughed and said I'm Irish, he apologized and said some sh#t like Dublin is cool my reply yep no bother lad never met an intelligent racist.

My point is hating a race because of a small number is the height of stupidity and normally is isolated to the ignorant but anyone that thinks the Irish are universally loved through out the world are way off the mark.

Ha , these '' weapons of mass destruction?'' Saddam had? purlease. Try think for yourself other than reading all these **** rags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Met a guy who despises England & anything to do with the country.Funniest thing he said was "ye can fuck off with those English channels in my house,fuck the BBC and ITV with their English shite", his missus watches Eastenders on RTE and Corrie/Emmerdale on TV3:pac:

zerks wrote: »
    Met a guy who despises England & anything to do with the country.Funniest thing he said was "ye can fuck off with those English channels in my house,fuck the BBC and ITV with their English shite", his missus watches Eastenders on RTE and Corrie/Emmerdale on TV3:pac:

Typical barstool republican hate filled idiot ha

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

oh great another person who doesn't exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Wow, good thread op! (Troll)

Some people do (me included) and some people don't. There will always be bitterness on this Earth (No matter who or what the subject is), like it or not, there's your answer...

Aphex wrote: »
    Wow, good thread op! (Troll)

Some people do (me included) and some people don't. There will always be bitterness on this Earth (No matter who or what the subject is), like it or not, there's your answer...

Why don't you like me? :-(

Oakboy wrote: »
    oh great another person who doesn't exist

Oh he exists alright,trust me he's not worth meeting.Once was enough for me.I won't name where he lives but it's a classy place where horses were left to die recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

Yous need to chillax, the brits are sound, the past is the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Being a Yorkshireman myself, I have quite a low tolerance for my southern countrymen. Generally find them to be arrogant and unfriendly. (Obviously not met them all, so may be some good eggs)
    I've lived in Ireland for about 10 years now and only once come across one individual who took offence to my accent. I couldn't imagine moving back to England now. Ireland is such a beautiful country with the most friendly of people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Why don't you like me? :-(

I never said that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I find most English lads are grand but sometimes can be diçk heads when in groups. I'm sure they would say the same about us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I love England, it's been my home for the last 6 years and will be for many more to come. There is just as many nice people and just as many di*khead's here as you will find in any country.

Lardy wrote: »
    Being a Yorkshireman myself, I have quite a low tolerance for my southern countrymen. Generally find them to be arrogant and unfriendly. (Obviously not met them all, so may be some good eggs)
    I've lived in Ireland for about 10 years now and only once come across one individual who took offence to my accent. I couldn't imagine moving back to England now. Ireland is such a beautiful country with the most friendly of people. :)

The London accent is particularly unlikeable.

Does my hatred for Piers Morgan count as not liking the English?:pac:

1210m5g wrote: »
    I love England, it's been my home for the last 6 years and will be for many more to come. There is just as many nice people and just as many di*khead's here as you will find in any country.

Lived in England for many years myself, and I agree with you.

The London accent is particularly unlikeable.

Does my hatred for Piers Morgan count as not liking the English?:pac:
    I'd say most the English would turn a blind eye if Piers Morgan had himself "an Accident" :P

I think I should leave this thread now. Even the English from Oop North don't like me.

*sob* :-(

I think I should leave this thread now. Even the English from Oop North don't like me.

*sob* :-(
    This is nothing new... :D Bloody shandy drinking fairies, the lot of yee. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah, another thread set up to bash the non-existent celtic jersey wearing armchair republican, nationalism, Sinn Fein and everything else related. The unbelievable irony of people like the OP, who feel the need to keep bashing nationalism and everything related and giving out about it with the most smug condescending attitude, yet they are the ones with the biggest chip on the shoulder themselves. How many pro-nationalists threads actually get set up compared to anti Sinn Fein ones, anti Gerry Adams, pro partition ones. You lot of revisionists need to get a fcuking life. No one ever had a problem with the common English person, sure we all have relations there. It was the British government the people hated, their security forces and the monarchy and what they did and represent. Not the English people. But lets not let that stop another nationalist bashing sessions, full of armchair republican stereotypes. Bunch of fcuking losers

Why are you worried about "bashing" someone that you say doesn't exist?
    One thing AH has thought me, the sinn fein republican types are the most easily offended (meaning that they want to find offence when none exists) precious little darlings. You just started a complete rant with yourself there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most English people I have met have been fine. Kind and helpful for most part. Few of my best buddies are English, 1/4 of my family live there.

You have few idiots everywhere.

Been to places like Newcastle, Liverpool and could not be more friendly.

Been to every major City in England by now. Difference in North v South alright.

Lardy wrote: »
    This is nothing new... :D Bloody shandy drinking fairies, the lot of yee. :P

Oi mate, it's called a lager top! :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been all over England. I generally get on well with most of them. Up North especially the aforementioned Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester and I also have friends in Sheffield which has a lot of Irish Immigrant history going on, lots of old Irish pubs from way backs till there that you never really hear about. I do some work at one of the London airports from time to time and I dread it. A lot of passive aggressive ego maniacs and a bit of an anti-Irish feel although I only received one comment many years ago. Also my colleagues from here who visit feel the same... It's more Essex then London but that's the vibe.

When I think about it you come across tossers everywhere and there is a side to English culture rather then people per say which I don't like but. I can also say that about The Irish too. Assholes everywhere on the whole the English are pretty decent. On the other hand I have worked with the Isralis... Less said the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement